Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this up a couple weeks ago, have to start a build thread...researched a lot about what I might want to improve and I'm leaning towards a budget custom build, mostly aesthetic, not full café style, but less dorky than stock, with some modern touches like a small digital tach gauge, and possible LED lights for signals/speedo.

Mostly cleaning
refinishing all exterior surfaces with new paint or powder coat
replacing leaky seals/gaskets
New chain
oil change
SS flanged hex bolts to replace all the pan head screws holding the engine cases together
full go-thru of the wire loom
polishing existing chrome on wheels
rebuilding both drum brakes
new cables
polishing aluminum switchgear
new grips
different but probably period accurate rear shocks (No Ohlins, lol)
replacing frame/engine/swingarm bushings
perhaps the biggest one...Exhaust.

The muffler is painted black, no idea why, but it's supposed to be chome. I'd like to find something newer for it, but I don't know **** about re-jetting carbs for new exhaust systems...so we'll see. I want it to sound good and not make any less power than it already does, lol.

Well update #1 isn't the best news, lol. The head gasket is weeping on the forward edge, so that will need to be fixed...Almost a bit more work than I really want to take on with this bike, but I think it will all be worth it in the end, I'm just already wishing I had the same amount of time to throw at this as I did when I was unemployed and "restoring" my 600RR 2 years ago...

Either way, bike is a BLAST to ride! There is no throttle return though, which is sketchy, and will need to be fixed ASAP. Order of operations has, I guess, now been decided...First thing I'm going to try to tackle is getting the thing tuned up and running right...It totally bogs and chokes at anything more than 40% throttle. It also leaks a fair bit of oil, but I'll deal with that after the side cases have been restored/refinished. Going to drain the oil, take the side covers off, poke around a bit, ride it for a couple days, then start just taking everything apart...The OO tried to paint everything with crappy silver paint to hide rust, so the wheels need to be taken apart, the spokes all sandblasted clean, and lots of things sent off to be re-chromed while I'm working on sanding, blasting, and re-painting the tank, side covers, frame, engine case covers, and front forks. The motor work will have to wait for the mean time, I just want to make sure it's sound before I pull it out of the frame.

The electrical will all need to be gone through, as well...Which I scared of. I'm tempted to just make a whole new reproduction harness, as I have access to the materials at work, but I don't know diddly about what that entails, so we'll see. None of the lighting works right now, so I want to see if some simple but targeted application of contact cleaner might get a few things working before total disassembly...

The exhaust I may leave black...re-chroming is $$ and I want to do just the wheels/rear fender for now. I'll be buying a ton of exhaust gaskets, too, since it seems the whole system needs to come off just to change the damned oil...Epic design fail, if that's actually the case. On the other hand, it says the oil type and capacity right on the handy oil dipstick, so that was a pleasant surprise!! It only holds one liter of oil, so changes will be affordable. The chain needs to be replaced, as well, as the current one was very rusty at some point, and crudely painted over. Luckily a simple roller chain from DID is only about 20 dollars. Sprockets look to be in great condition as far as wear goes, they're just dirty and in need of a good scrubbing down.

So far, I'm looking at about 200 dollars in parts I need to order right now, plus whatever re-chroming will cost, so that's half of what I planned to put into it in total. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to put 3 days into it this weekend and maybe come up with an accurate investment for time needed to make this all happen, and then set a goal accordingly...For right now, I'll say I'd like to have it all back together and be riding it again in 6 weeks...Fingers crossed!

Finally got around to picking out some photos of the disassembly progress I've been making...I spent about another 8 hours working on it, and another 8 hours researching stuff I need to do/buy. I also broke my first part which will be expensive to replace, so that sucked. Most of the day was spent cleaning the drum brake hubs, plus a couple hours disassembling the front forks, which necessitated cutting off the chrome sleeve that was rusted solid to one of the fork leg lowers...Might have to fork over 70 bucks for a new set
:

Anyway, pics...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

In the pics you can see how nasty the brakes were...way too much grease in there, and the hubs were full of dust/dirt. I'm going to make my own felt dust seals to try and prevent this happening again...

You can also see how the headlight bucket is cracked in several places, and has a few dozen coats of black paint on it, lol. I bonded the cracks and filled in a few chips with 3M DP-805 methacrylate 2-part adhesive, then sanded it all down. The cracked areas were reinforced with single plies of 2.5oz carbon fiber and a 3 hour resin, vacuum bagged and cured overnight at 110F. The plastic degrades when exposed to acetone, alcohol, paint thinner, etc. so I had to hand sand the whole bucket, then a light media blasting to even out the surface. I plan to paint this bucket to match the tank later on.

I think need to use an impact screwdriver a lot next weekend...all the phillips head screws are being pulled out of the motor and replaced with either flanged hex bolts, or allen heads. Also, the damper rod screws in the bottom of each for leg are totally seized and need to come out and be replaced.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drained the forks last weekend, got the snap rings out that retain the top seals, but I can't get the damper rod screw out of the bottom, looks like I'm going to have to use a screw extractor to back out the old philips heads that are in the forks, as well as holding all the engine cases on. All the old fasteners are being replaced with their stainless equivalents, or better, in the case of all the screws. Planning to replace all of those with small flanged hex 8mm bolts.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always wanted to restore an old CB. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Unfortunately I can't see the pictures here to make comments :)
Thanks! I dare say it's going to be one of the cleanest CB100s out there when I'm done, haha. Photobucket links work for me...or are they blocked at your work or something?

It's been a really cool project so far, but I haven't even finished disassembly, haha. Pulled the motor yesterday, frame is now finally ready for powdercoat, and now begins all the work on the motor...I need to pull the points system off and slacken the cam chain so I can pull the head and cylinder and inspect the piston and rings. The exhaust port in the head is really sooty, but dry, so hopefully it hasn't been burning oil. Good news is I can still buy factory rings for the piston, if necessary. My biggest concern at the moment is pulling the rotor off the crankshaft...I've never done that before, so that will be interesting...:ponder::ponder:

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
Now THIS is a proper build thread. I don't even open the ones that are installing every bolt-on that a CBR can get. We've seen those already.

This is going to be epic!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks! I dare say it's going to be one of the cleanest CB100s out there when I'm done, haha. Photobucket links work for me...or are they blocked at your work or something?

It's been a really cool project so far, but I haven't even finished disassembly, haha. Pulled the motor yesterday, frame is now finally ready for powdercoat, and now begins all the work on the motor...I need to pull the points system off and slacken the cam chain so I can pull the head and cylinder and inspect the piston and rings. The exhaust port in the head is really sooty, but dry, so hopefully it hasn't been burning oil. Good news is I can still buy factory rings for the piston, if necessary. My biggest concern at the moment is pulling the rotor off the crankshaft...I've never done that before, so that will be interesting...:ponder::ponder:
Pretty much any media-uploading site is blocked at work :) I'll check again from a different connection.

The-X -- you're really going to dislike my thread :)

·
Registered
14,367 Posts
People are welcome to post build threads, my opinion means nothing. I just like creativity, and unique builds. Anyone can buy bolt-ons and bling out a bike. It's not my thing. Then again, you won't see me commenting in those threads either. I'm not going to piss on someone else's parade.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now THIS is a proper build thread. I don't even open the ones that are installing every bolt-on that a CBR can get. We've seen those already.

This is going to be epic!
Thanks, man, I also have kind of gotten to the point where I'm just plain happy with how my 600RR is built up, plenty fast, and reliable. At this point I'd rather just hone myself at track days with it and improve myself rather than throw more money at the bike, but, to each their own. I'm really enjoying taking this CB down to the bare bones and planning how to rebuild each sub-assembly as it comes back together.:banger:

All the old fasteners are being replaced with their stainless equivalents, or better, in the case of all the screws. Planning to replace all of those with small flanged hex 8mm bolts. My cost estimate for the fastener replacement is still up in the air, as price varies widely from supplier to supplier, but I'm guessing less than about $60 for everything I want to replace. Bought fork oil to refill the forks whenever they get all polished up and refinished. The manual recommended 10w-40 engine oil, or ATF, but I bet the fork oil is going to be a way better fluid for the job. Chemical tech has advanced eons in the last 40 years, haha. I also bought this super awesome Craftsman flex-socket in 8mm...I'd love a full set of these! It's just like the u-joint adapter for your socket wrench, but it has the 8mm socket integral to the assembly itself, so it keeps your stack length short for hard to access bolts/nuts!

So far I'm only up to $140 in restorative costs, and most of that has just been tooling, chemicals, and a couple NOS parts on eBay. I got a wildly huge quote from the local powder coating place, so it looks like I'm going to have the frame done, but not the wheels, engine cases, or hubs. The good news is that frees up some of the budget to be spent on better quality parts and paint, which are more important to me anyways. I have about $125 in my Partzilla cart, plus a couple other parts from assorted Honda dealers nationwide. I know a lot of the parts are going to be backordered, so I'm allowing for them taking a few weeks from purchase to actual arrival.

I discussed my battery needs with a helpful guy at Batteries Plus today, too, and it looks like I can buy an AGM 12v 5aH battery for about $50, or a sealed, maintenance free lead acid cell for about $40, and both should more than cover my electrical needs. I got a specific part recommendation on a regulator/rectifier unit from Flying J Customs, and it's about $50 also, plus some small things like, fuses, resistors for the ignition coil and a variable resistance flasher relay...Totaled up, it looks like I'll be in for at least another $305, plus paint prep and paint supplies...My budget was supposed to be $500 for restoration, so I'm still hopeful that I'll come in at or under that! Fingers crossed that the 12v conversion and my paint skills pull through, and don't end up being huge money-pits!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the tires off the rims today, and will unlace them tomorrow morning. Conquered all the external seized fasteners, as well as a few on the oil filter rotor. Pulled the stator out and test-fitted the CB350 stator I bought on eBay...looks like it's a good fit, just need to do a continuity test on it tomorrow to ensure that it's good to use. The hand impact driver with the correct bit in it was a life-saver today! All of the screws had been hit with PB Blaster, but weren't going to budge without a few good whacks from the impact. I also used it on the rotor bolt and it barely took any effort to get that backed out, thankfully! I am going to pull the rotor tomorrow, and would love to split the cases, but the oil slinger/clutch drum tool I ordered has still not arrived, so it will have to wait, unfortunately. I should still be able to put in a good amount of time cleaning up the head tomorrow, and inspecting the piston, which I really really hope is in good shape. The exhaust port on the head looks very sooty and black, but dry, so I'm hopeful.

I ported and polished the head for my CH150 and noticed marked improvements in throttle response and acceleration, so I'd like to do the same to the head for this CB. Nothing major, just knocking down casting flash and evening out the surface a little. I wish we had a vapor blaster in the area, but it looks like I'll just be blasting the head and cases with aluminum oxide, unless I can find a local shop that has walnut shell media and will blast it all for me. Really stoked to see that the internals of the engine so far are relatively clean and almost entirely rust free, a big relief for me!

Very much looking forward to getting the motor all shiny and clean inside and out, and ready for paint. I haven't decided on a color scheme for it yet, but I'm leaning towards black for the crank case, and dark silver for the side covers to match the tank, air cleaner covers, and fork tubes. I also love the two-tone effect of sanding off the edges of all the fins on the cylinder and head, or maybe just taking a silver Sharpie to them after the parts are painted.

The frame is completely stripped of parts now, and is ready to go to the powder coater. I was quoted $120 for them to do all requisite cleaning, blasting, masking, and plugging, and a semi-gloss black powder coat, which I feel is a little steep considering how small the frame is, but I'm hoping I can convince them to also include a few brackets and the swingarm for that price, considering the swingarm and brackets will already be blasted and ready for PC. I would love to also PC the rims, but their color options are not to my liking, and they want too much $$ to do the rims, I suspect because blasting off the original chrome would be very difficult.

Speaking of chrome, I received some parts today that were very hard to find...there is a chrome retainer sleeve that fits atop the fork lower and holds the external fork spring in place. I had to ruin one of mine in order to get it off the fork lower, which bums me out a lot because it cost me $65 just to buy a NOS set of them. The chrome is in great shape on the new ones though, so that's neat. I'm going to see if I can sell my spare used one now to recoup some of the cost of the NOS set I bought. I can only find one other set for sale online...so crazy, it used to be a 9 dollar part

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=CDN link=topic=25780.msg326410#msg326410 date=1430632621]
I'm always partial to red black gold and white or some combination thereof. The black and silver will go good together. Though I would like to point out something from my useless art degree: grey/silver makes all other colours appear richer, so consider adding something other than just black to really make things pop. Other than that it sounds like you're on top of things as per usual. Keep us posted! :pop:
[/quote]

Thanks dude! I struggle to be right brained at all so those kinds of design tips are much appreciated. All my past bikes, and my wardrobe, seem to suggest that I'll be going with a psuedo monochromatic scheme...black for the frame, crank case, cylinder, and head, with the edges of the fins in silver, dark silver for the case covers, dark metallic silver/gray for the tank, forks, and side plastics, but with a black and white detail on the sides of the tank to pay homage to the original design. Still undecided about the wheels/hubs/spokes though. I feel like black rims look washed out and tend to blend into the tire too much...missed opportunity for good contrast, but I don't want white. Chrome would be ideal, but it's way too expensive for me. I'm going to test out some metallic paint and see what I can do with that. Black hubs, probably silver spokes, though white would look pretty cool. I wish I were good at mockups in photoshop, haha.

Color choices aside, I had a crap day until I got home and spent a therapeutic 4 hours working on the motor...My 24mm oil rotor/clutch spanner socket from Motion Pro arrived, and after 20 minutes with my hand impact driver and a big ass wrench, I finally got the oil rotor off the crank! I had to check the manual to make sure it wasn't a LH thread, it was on the crazy tight!! Pulled the clutch, too, which was super crazy easy. Also pulled the shift drum and shift linkage, so I'm going to finally ready to split the cases on Wednesday! ;D

I will have to post a pic, but the centrifugal spark advance mechanism that slides onto the end of the tiny camshaft was damaged by a PO. Looks like someone hammered on it in a bad way to try and get it off the shaft end. The index hole in the camshaft into which fits a very small alignment pin, was wallowed out badly, and actually caused the underside of the spark advance part to sheer. I cleaned it very well and attempted repair with JB Weld today, so we'll see what it looks like tomorrow after I sand the JB Weld back to the intended shape of the part and test fit it onto the repaired camshaft end.

I re-terminated a few leads for the turn signal sub-harness...A few were missing their male terminals, so a coworker helped me solder on some fancy ones to repair them. Also used some color matched heat shrink on the wire coming from the points mechanism. I can't wait to shrink wrap the whole harness and be done with all the nasty electrical tape that's on there now, yuck.

I know I'm putting way too much work into this little bike, but I've been deburring, sanding off casting flash, and polishing all kinds of things in this motor...the faster oil can run off of a lot of these internal parts, the faster it returns to the pan to be scavenged and recirculated. It's going to be rather pretty when it all goes back together and has some quality oil run though all its freshly cleaned and polished guts!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome build so far, man; you're extremely descriptive posts are great.
Thanks! I feel bad for being so lazy about posting pics, I'll try to get better about that. I polished up a ton of stuff at work and just need to actually upload stuff to Photobucket. Just a pain in the ass because you can only have so many pics per post, lol.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely love seeing someone take someone's abused and unloved bike and turn it into what it should have been but better. Keep up the good work sir.
Thanks! I'm getting really stoked on feeling like I've rounded the hump on this bike...The frame and swingarm are at the powder coater, rims being sandblasted there, too. Most parts are blasted/sanded and ready for paint, plastic side covers have been repaired and sanded clean/smooth, crankcases are getting cleaned up, tires are in, parts list put together, almost all fasteners and small parts have been either replaced or restored to better-than-new condition.:banger:

I have been avoiding doing the tank though...I still need to take the petcock off, drain the fuel, and start stripping all the old paint off. I think it will just barely fit in the sand blast cabinet at work, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops, I'm the worst. Life got crazy and I kinda stopped posting. Anyways, here's the finished bike. Sold for $5k, but I miss it every day. Thankfully I now have two 1975 CB125Ss to restore! 12916297_10208864824196518_8373500034682447238_o_1569180654060.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts