Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to bikes and I had a question about shifting and down shifting.

1. whats the proper way of shifting up?? do u let go of the gas completely, a lil bit or what? I know the basics but it just feels like im not doing it correctly. Same thing when it comes to downshifting.

my other question is when u guys r crusing on 35 or 45 mph zones what gear ru guys in?? Ne info will be helpful. thanx guys. sorry about these noob questions but i just dont want to fudge my clutch or my bike period.

K

·
0 Posts
1. whats the proper way of shifting up?? do u let go of the gas completely, a lil bit or what? I know the basics but it just feels like im not doing it correctly. Same thing when it comes to downshifting.
For upshifting:

On the track, the only time i use the clutch is from N to 1. otherwise it's all clutchless. i roll off the throttle rather quickly, it doesn't go to 0%, but it's a feel thing. the idea is to get the transmission to zero load. sometimes i whack the throttle... depends. Anyway, when i get to that point, i pull up and it just clicks right into gear and i'm on the gas again.

On the street, it's the same thing, only a LOT lazier and i use the clutch because of it. but i STILL roll off the throttle ever so slightly. the RPMs never climb when i pull the clutch, and that's what you're after.

For Downshifting:

On the track, it's a Throttle whack/clutch jab/tap down/feathered release gaggle of action. all of it is done in pretty rapid succession, less than a 2/5 a second total every time i go through a gear.

On the street, i pull the throttle, click down and feather out if I'm coming to a stop. if I'm looking for more power, i roll off the throttle until the transmission is at no load (again a feel thing) and i tap down a gear and immediately get on the gas again.

my other question is when u guys r crusing on 35 or 45 mph zones what gear ru guys in?? Ne info will be helpful. thanx guys. sorry about these noob questions but i just dont want to fudge my clutch or my bike period.
oh i doubt that would happen. but a fukd up shift will get you into some pretty bad situations. at 35 or 45 i'm usually in 5th or 6th gear if i'm just commuting. on the track, i'd more than likely be in 2nd gear, maybe 1st but 35 at the track... just doesn't happen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
when you're upshifting, if you're preload the shifter peg ever so slightly, it'll guide itself into the next gear as you slowly roll off the throttle. That should help you get a better feel of how much you need to roll off to upshift.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shifting

For upshifting:

On the track, the only time i use the clutch is from N to 1. otherwise it's all clutchless. i roll off the throttle rather quickly, it doesn't go to 0%, but it's a feel thing. the idea is to get the transmission to zero load. sometimes i whack the throttle... depends. Anyway, when i get to that point, i pull up and it just clicks right into gear and i'm on the gas again.

On the street, it's the same thing, only a LOT lazier and i use the clutch because of it. but i STILL roll off the throttle ever so slightly. the RPMs never climb when i pull the clutch, and that's what you're after.

For Downshifting:

On the track, it's a Throttle whack/clutch jab/tap down/feathered release gaggle of action. all of it is done in pretty rapid succession, less than a 2/5 a second total every time i go through a gear.

On the street, i pull the throttle, click down and feather out if I'm coming to a stop. if I'm looking for more power, i roll off the throttle until the transmission is at no load (again a feel thing) and i tap down a gear and immediately get on the gas again.

oh i doubt that would happen. but a fukd up shift will get you into some pretty bad situations. at 35 or 45 i'm usually in 5th or 6th gear if i'm just commuting. on the track, i'd more than likely be in 2nd gear, maybe 1st but 35 at the track... just doesn't happen.
what do u mean when u said "rpms never go up"? when I hold down the clutch to shift my rpms go down.

K

·
0 Posts
what do u mean when u said "rpms never go up"? when I hold down the clutch to shift my rpms go down.
some people mis-time their throttle roll offs when they up shift. the motor will rise as soon as the pull the clutch lever in.

brrrrrr WEEERRRRrrrrrrrrrr vs. brrrrrrrrrrmmmbrrrrrrrr

if that makes sense.

·
Registered
238 Posts
some people mis-time their throttle roll offs when they up shift. the motor will rise as soon as the pull the clutch lever in.

brrrrrr WEEERRRRrrrrrrrrrr vs. brrrrrrrrrrmmmbrrrrrrrr

if that makes sense.
I cant stop laughin at your sound description. What kind of exhaust is that. Sounds sweet :icon_lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I 2 finger clutch it up and down except when stopping - got that one from Reg Pridmore; other than that ...what Knight said...cept Knight there is 1st at RA, right in the bend...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts