Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like Canada is buying into the loud pipe BS

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2010/06/03/14245466.html

"Edmonton could be the first city in Canada to employ a nationally approved noise level standard to crack down on motorcycles that roar louder than some gardening machines while idling.
But while some city officials cheered this proposed bylaw amendment on excessive vehicle noise, some local biking enthusiasts questioned whether it was fair that only motorcycles, and not other vehicles like trucks or buses, were included in the bylaw."
The City of Edmonton in Alberta is set to start ticketing bikes with anything other than stock exhaust starting in July

Weak-frickin sauce :cursin::fyou:

·
Registered
426 Posts
i can't even get a pipe or i wake my mom up :(

but that is crazy. There should be some safety precaution bypass.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow....That's some serious weak sauce.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Canada blows

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Wow, that sucks for you guys.

To save yourself some trouble, you should just go back to the stock exhaust now and SELL ME your Akropovic for cheap :p Or we can trade, because I still have my OEM exhaust sitting in the garage :)

Haha, hopefully it's a proposal that gets shot down.

Looks like Canada is buying into the loud pipe BS

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2010/06/03/14245466.html

"Edmonton could be the first city in Canada to employ a nationally approved noise level standard to crack down on motorcycles that roar louder than some gardening machines while idling.
But while some city officials cheered this proposed bylaw amendment on excessive vehicle noise, some local biking enthusiasts questioned whether it was fair that only motorcycles, and not other vehicles like trucks or buses, were included in the bylaw."
The City of Edmonton in Alberta is set to start ticketing bikes with anything other than stock exhaust starting in July

Weak-frickin sauce :cursin::fyou:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I live in this city, isn't it bunk!!!?

I don't think it'll go through tho.. too many problems.. at least I hope it doesn't.

·
fall down 7times get up 8
1,479 Posts
unfair to single out a group with standards that don't apply to everyone

seems completely unfair to have a standard for motorcycles & nothing for the rest of the vehicles occupying the same roadways

really doubt this 'law' will get any traction, as canadians are some of the 'fairest' people i know

but yeah chris,
i see a growing sector of our/u.s. population that is 'spooked' by the higher db exhausts. i have literally witnessed the difference in behavior with traffic on backroads & freeways after switching from hondas' very quiet stock exhaust system to a full system. what lead to my changing was a bike similar to mine was riding just in my blind spot, drivers' side, w/my windows down in a four door car. being a motorhead, I DID NOT HEAR THE BIKE @ ALL, until he was almost right next to my door. & even then it still seemed too quiet. bike was just moving slightly faster than traffic, guessing in 6th gear. i have better than average hearing, the wind noise was enough to drown out the stock exhaust, which i felt was definitely a safety concern.

i also ride mostly backroads & the many near misses with quiet stock exhaust vs. seeing people stop further up their drives; was more than convincing enough to 'know' that the louder exhaust is giving me more of a cushion with other traffic on the road. that cushion will allow extra time, which i know will lead to less collisions. this is riding hwys 9 & 35 in southbay; anyone that's ridden there can attest to the amount of driveways dropping down to these too roadways. IF the cars don't hear you they don't slow down to pull out, they pretty much just pull out. & these are locales, that know how many bicyclist & others travel those roads. so they know better than most. regardless, after 2 close calls during one ride out; didn't even make it to the overlook/viewpoint area on 35, i turned around, went home & installed a slip on til i could get a full system. i only acquired the full exhaust for racing, otherwise, i'd of just stuck with the slip on as it was plenty loud enough to allow that cushion i spoke of.

louder pipes save lives

wish motorcycle safety foundations had a study regarding this sort of information
before any laws should be enforced they should see what the louder pipes are actually doing regarding other drivers & IF indeed there is more space given. that alone would reinforce the need for a bit of noise so we aren't invisible

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep. I think it's a done deal. I'm just finishing up converting a race bike to street form and will have the stock exhaust on for a while. Hopefully enforcement will lessen after the first blitz. Sportbikers have already been stopped.... and 3 of the 4 had STOCK exhausts! It was an excuse to check papers and check for reflectors, etc. Yep, they crack down on us for reflectors.

Get this... a city councillor in Edmonton is suggesting that emergency vehicle sirens at night should be quieted down too. ****, I want to move away from nazi-ville.

·
1,479 Posts
Yep. I think it's a done deal. I'm just finishing up converting a race bike to street form and will have the stock exhaust on for a while. Hopefully enforcement will lessen after the first blitz. Sportbikers have already been stopped.... and 3 of the 4 had STOCK exhausts! It was an excuse to check papers and check for reflectors, etc. Yep, they crack down on us for reflectors.

Get this... a city councillor in Edmonton is suggesting that emergency vehicle sirens at night should be quieted down too. ****, I want to move away from nazi-ville.
okay, this really isn't good.......

& to quiet emergency vehicles????

wow? those in edmonton must have amazing hearing........ :retard:

·
1,479 Posts
Do you have any actual evidence to back this up? I thought it was just BS and people just "feel" safer but nothing factual actually supports this claim.
more than once someone barreling down there driveway nearly pulled out in front of me without the slip on added

it was in my prior post.....
your in santa barbara, go for a ride with stock exhaust on your favorite country twisites; observe how many close calls you have.
install louder exhaust, see the distance cars give before just plowing into their home roadways

agreed, that more research would be needed & helpful

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Wow, that sucks for you guys.

To save yourself some trouble, you should just go back to the stock exhaust now and SELL ME your Akropovic for cheap :p Or we can trade, because I still have my OEM exhaust sitting in the garage :)

Haha, hopefully it's a proposal that gets shot down.
Ummm, Chris is from Oregon:ponder::poke::study:
Canada blows

·
1,479 Posts
keep your oem exhaust for trackdays that require noise reduction

·
Registered
21 Posts
it passed and it BS there are trucks out there that are way louder then my bike and they are on the roads all year round i am out there for a few months target the ones that you have to put up with all year and leave us alone and nail the trucks that are chiped and every time they press the gas a huge black cloud comes out i will just stay out of edmonton

·
Registered
71 Posts
What the hell is this world coming to?

Yeah i still have my Stock exhaust in my Garage as well so if anyone ends up in need of one let me know lol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts