Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share a recent experience I had with Alpinestars. I bought a pair of A* SMX-Plus boots a few years ago, and have ridden them every time I've swung a leg over the bike since. Sun, Rain, heat, cold, and some snow and freezing rain tossed in for good measure. I've worn them several times at work for 10+ hours.

Needless to say, all of this use took it's toll on the boots. Even with regular washing, they were dirty, beaten, broken, and in need of some love. Here is a list of issues....

-Inner lacing system was broke on both boots.
-Zipper was broken on the right boot.
-Both zipper pull tabs were long gone.
-The ratcheting fastener on the right boot was broke, so only a notch or two would snap into the buckle.

I called up A* at the end of March and told them my issues. I figured they wouldn't do anything since the boots were a few years old, and would charge me for the repairs. I talked to a guy in the warranty department, and he gave me a Return Authorization number, and directions to return them. He didn't quote me a repair cost, but I figured he would let me know the price when they received them and could do an accurate assessment. I mail them out Friday, and by Monday they made it to Torrance, CA.

I hadn't heard anything by the end of the week, so I called them to make sure they received them, and weren't still busy laughing at the condition of my poor boots. The said the boots were all done, and they would be shipping out that day. :confused3: I asked how much I owed, and he said we were all squared away, enjoy the boots, and to thanks for wearing A*. :thumbup: I had my boots by the middle of the next week. Approximately a two week turnaround, including shipping times, from first call to boots in my hands. They even covered the return shipping costs. :banger::bigclap::bigclap:

This is yet another reason why I have, and will continue to wear, Alpinestars products. Customer service from a large company like that is rare in these days. I will be ordering my new A* Jaws soon, and when these boots finally take their steps, I'll be getting a new set of Supertechs or SMX-Plus.

TL;DR version: Alpinestars Kicks A**!!

:bigclap::bigclap:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had a similar experience. The little "retainer" at the bottom of the zipper on my Tech 1R was missing and the zipper head ended up damaged. I called and they said send it in.. They repaired it with what looks like a beefier zipper. Not just the little piece but the entire zipper. Ill buy A* as long as I ride without hesitation.

As someone who went down in A* I can attribute that I had 000000 injuries where A* products were. I have the Jacket and gloves still for proof...

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your just in a sharing mood this a.m.
Gotta give credit where it's due! :banger:

Oh my goodness that is amazing! Torrance is literally right next to my work. I must email them and ask them if they can fix up my boots! My lacing systems are all messed up! Thanks a lot for sharing this information Chad!
Glad I could help! :shakehand

Did they require a receipt? I never keep those. I got 2 pairs that are beaten up badly.
Nope. Just asked how old they were, and I told them a couple years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They'll repair it's a manufacturing defect. I've heard simliar stories about A* like that before.

Remember it's always easier for companies to retain repeat customers than getting new ones.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did they look after the repairs?
They look awesome! I didn't mention anything about the ratcheting system being broke when I initially called, but they tossed a new one on without having to ask. I didn't mention the pull tabs, either, but again, they sewed new ones on without being asked.

Depending on how well these hold up this summer, I'm going to send them in this fall for new soles and foot beds. I believe that runs in the area of $75-85.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They'll repair it's a manufacturing defect. I've heard simliar stories about A* like that before.

Remember it's always easier for companies to retain repeat customers than getting new ones.
True. I figured since they were an older pair, and definitely out of the realm of a warranty claim, that I would be paying something out of pocket for the labor, at minimum.

Very pleased.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They look awesome! I didn't mention anything about the ratcheting system being broke when I initially called, but they tossed a new one on without having to ask. I didn't mention the pull tabs, either, but again, they sewed new ones on without being asked.

Depending on how well these hold up this summer, I'm going to send them in this fall for new soles and foot beds. I believe that runs in the area of $75-85.
That's awesome man! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Alpinestars has great customer service but I feel their product has gone down hill. I purchased a Carver 2 piece suit last year for street riding and during the first ride wearing it the stitching came apart in three different spots. Alpinestars took it back but I switched brands as I no longer had faith in the brand.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
that's great to hear! since I am like you I wear my A* boots no matter when I throw my leg over my RR

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Everyone thinks I'm weird for doing just that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Let them! I know what it like to have surgery on my ankle after a bad MC accident... I have the supertech R and I think they r more comfortable than any shoe I own anyway lol
I have friends who wont ride with me anymore cause I am a gear Nazi and every time they come out in T-shirts and short I break balls but F them put some gear on... prime example as to why I wear boot every time

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
No that was prior me wearing race boots that was with just sneakers

That accident last year is why I only wear boots now

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Let them! I know what it like to have surgery on my ankle after a bad MC accident... I have the supertech R and I think they r more comfortable than any shoe I own anyway lol
I have friends who wont ride with me anymore cause I am a gear Nazi and every time they come out in T-shirts and short I break balls but F them put some gear on... prime example as to why I wear boot every time

Aw man ugly sight! Hope that healed up well. Yeah I let em give me **** for it. It's not me, it's them not understanding risk mitigation I guess you could say.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts