Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even the best helmets cant completely protect you from wind noise, which causes hearing loss over time. I've heard of people wearing ear plugs but I'm weary of not being able to hear cars, sirens, or even my buddy talking to me at lights. So what do you guys do about it? Double bubble and crouch down when it gets noisey, custom fitted ear plugs or ?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
i wear the soft type ear plugs that you squish into your ear..... i had the problem of not being able to ear my bike but like anything else you get used to it..... and now i got no problem hearing my buddies talking to me at stop lights. i can hear and feel when there are cars beside me...... just giv eit a try for a few rides and then decide. mind you in the city i dont wear them cause i do like hearing my bike purrrr!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thats interesting. Ive never noticed the noise, at least not to the point that it effects my hearing. I already have tinnitus from being a musician for 20+ years. I have to wear ear plugs when I do anything music related so I should probably check into the wind thing too.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Been wearing ear plugs for years. Between the wind buffeting, screaming exhaust, and helmet noise, it just makes sense. It is recommended to wear hearing protection if your ears will be subjected to levels of 80db over an extended amount of time. I can safely say that our bikes regularly exceed the 80db level.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1 earplugs are mandatory. you can hear other noises better because the background wind and exhaust noise are attentuated. I had problems with getting a good seal last year at RA and could not beleive how loud it was. I'd never go back.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I've never been bothered by wind noise but after reading this I think i'll try some ear plugs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just get in the car when I don't want the wind noise. I got a shoei, and it helps. I was wearing the HJC for a while, but those have been getting better.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just get in the car when I don't want the wind noise. I got a shoei, and it helps. I was wearing the HJC for a while, but those have been getting better.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
as a sound engineer, acoustician, music producer/engineer....i need my ears....

heck, i wear ear plugs on the subway here in NYC...and in every club, at every party....sh*t i wear ear plugs for maybe 8hrs a day when I'm not inside a building or inside my house.

ear damage is NOT reversible, very embarassing, aggravating, and again...PERMANENT.

Everyone w/ a pipe other than stock should be wearing at least 30dB attenuating ear plugs. even the cheapo foam ones are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nes that sounds like a commercial that first line. ha

Secondly I think i'm gonna start wearing ear plugs when i ride. What about people who listen to music when they ride? the earbuds would block the wind noise out of their ears also right?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
MilanoRex said:
What kind of ear plugs do you use, Nes?
i got custom made ones, but here's a link. they're something like this, and attenuate a bit over 25dB, while NOT affecting the acoustic properties of the sound that come into my ear. They only affect the dynamics (loudness and peaks) of the sound, leaving everything sounding the same, just a 25dB lower.

cost a pretty penny, but I'll pay for them 5 times over any day. like i said, the cheapo construction foam ones are fine.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i only use ear plugs when im on the freeway for times >1hr.

on the street i sometimes use my Mp3 player and only use one of the ear buds. speaking of which i highly reccomend

·
Registered
31 Posts
My understanding was that it had to be a foam type ear plug that complies with regulations....maybe this is just Cali, I will look for the article because I thought the ear plugs had to be a certian type or you can get fined (how often they catch an out of regulation ear plug is beyond me).
But besides fines I believe it has to do with safety first and foremost... If it is a credible link I will post it...

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I have a question.......Some of you are saying that you wear earplugs for "ear protection" but then say you listen to mp3 players at times.... if your so worried about noise why would you be listening to headphones???

I'm confused

1 - 20 of 27 Posts