Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if someone posted this before, just bring it up and seeing what people think about this.. To me this is a sad day in America, especially if the father of the soldier loses this. I know theres a big debate bout the guy who got pulled over at gun point but this really pushes it wayyy to far in my opinion. I hope that he wins or somehow gets a law started to ban protesting at funerals.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_funeral_protests

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
As much as I find WBC's actions to be reprehensible... I can't be a hypocrite and say that they are not entitled to their free speech. I might not agree with what you say, but I would die to defend your right to say it. Sadly, just as people can use the first amendment for amazingly good and positive things others can use it to say/do shitty and morally reprehensible things.

The first amendment is there to protect unpopular speech, not popular speech. If we start making exceptions and definitions for acceptable speech we'd be heading down a very slippery slope.

Sadly, I don't see dad getting a win in supreme court.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
It's rare but I actually agree with pbeaul on this one.

But to add to it. I think this is one of those cases where a good old ass kickin was in order. Sure, the lawsuits would fly afterwards but those westover nuts should have been bruised and bloodied up a bit to teach them some respect.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts

But to add to it. I think this is one of those cases where a good old ass kickin was in order. Sure, the lawsuits would fly afterwards but those westover nuts should have been bruised and bloodied up a bit to teach them some respect.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Even down to the agreeing with pbeaul! lol

But seriously, we cannot take away freedom of speech but these people definitely deserve to have a mouthful of fist delivered any and every time they do this.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
This case is actually from a neighboring county to me. This is really a tough judgement call... I'd love to say "I hope he wins and takes all their money!", but that could take us down a seriously dark path. Ugh, what to do!?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Even down to the agreeing with pbeaul! lol
Careful... That's another slippery slope. :cruising:

theres no reason anybody should be allowed to picket a funeral
Technically, I think they were protesting just outside the funeral, on public property. Had it been on private property they could have been arrested for trespassing or something... The constitution strikes again.

Not everything that comes with freedom/liberty is positive. There's always going to be a minority that will take something to an extreme.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I dont see why the father even cares these people are idiots anyway, they think god is killing soldiers ? - it's war that kills soldiers not god.

And I hate to point out the obvious but gay people dont have kids save for artificial insemination for women so it seems to me left unchecked the problem will take care of itself like maybe thats gods way of thinning the heard ?

Second of all I like what Carlin said about free speech - you have the right to say what you want and I have the right to shoot you.

Personally if it were me I would grab a bat and go f some people up, claim aggravated assault get an attorney sponsored by veterans affairs claim temporary insanity and walk to the adoration of an entire nation. Actually I hope some badass general gets the IRS to revoke the churches tax exempt status and see how long they last.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand the whole free speech and I can see the church getting off the hook but I think something needs to be done so these things can't happen cuz of the fact what some of you are saying. This happens to the wrong person and theres gonna be more problems then this. A shooting, beating, etc. I just think there needs to be some law that limits what you can protest at cuz this is just wrong! Protesting a funeral?! Come on give me a break. I dont care if the person who dies is a serial killer or a lowlife leader at a crazed church, people shouldn't be protesting at a funeral or near a funeral directed at it. I would never ever think about doing this at anyones funeral. Theres a small word that I think if people would actually follow it, this wouldn't be happening much and its "Respect". Plain and simple, people need to respect each other more. No one cares about anyone anymore and its getting pretty sad.

If the father doesn't win, I really hope this case opens the eyes of someone and gets something started to stop protesting at funerals. The same church group even protested at the W. Virginia mining funerals.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those people are low life scum.... and they have the right to free speech!! So do I... I hope they all die and when they do they see the light which is dark because there is nothing but blackness!! FairyTales are just that... and so is the mystical book they preach about.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
they have their freedom of speech but im sure no one would care if he gave the head guy a nice ass beating in "self defense"...maybe he tried htting him with a sign. the dad is stupid im gunna have to say sadly for trying to do this and spending all this money ..whats next, no more rude language or you get sued?

A

·
0 Posts
those people are scum.... but they have the right to freedom of speech.......

now with that being said, if i had a son who died for this country, and they did this at his funeral i would be in court for murder, not for sueing them...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
theres no reason anybody should be allowed to picket a funeral
No kidding - that's just WRONG !

Some people have no respect these days :banghead:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yea I dont think they woulda done anything if they saw that they were carrying firearms lol. I think its disgusting that they were protesting at a funeral for someone who was fighting to protect our freedom. But I agree they do have a right to free speech.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i think no matter what those people should shut there freaking mouths and leave the greiveing faimly alone. There church should have more values then go out and disrupt a funereal............

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
I think they all need to smacked in their penis. Or shot. Yea you have your Freedom of Speech, but I don't think thats what your founding fathers had in mind.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I would have thought that picketing a funeral would constitute harassment, failing that he should find an alibi and then beat the ... out of em, its only what they deserve.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts