Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is to discuss some basic info and modding for the PS3.

Older gen PS3(non slim) models - You can install the Linux OS on it.
This allows more function of the PS3, better internet functions, streaming, etc.

The new "slim" models you can not add/install Linux - as of right now that I've seen.

All models are user upgradable for HDs and does not void Sony warranty.
HDs are 2.5" in size(laptop HDs) and spins at 5400 stock.

Here's a great link to show how to change out the HD, it's pretty simple, easier than a desktop computer.
You also see that the increase in operating system isn't that much with a decent increase in performance. Also realize that some of this was done over a year ago:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=32840

Edited*

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
oh hey good job... linux on ps3 is sweet.. i've been running it on mine and have been enjoying it. its a little slow but not bad if your not trying to do too many things at once. its fairly easy to install. and its a pain in the **** getting it to play flash..

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
after d/ling click "write image file to disc" and burn the ydl file onto a dvd-r and then follow the directions on the first site.. if your not sure on the install go to youtube and search for yellow dog linux install on ps3 and there are a couple of vids on it..

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
ehhhh, i think im only gonna change the hd for more space and not do the whole linux internet thing.
internetz with this thing is teh suxors! slow as hell and dont look good on my hdtv. lmfao.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts