Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding with two buddies today. Well one buddy and a friend of his. Here's the line-up. . .

Mine (2004 600RR, Blue)
Friend (2003 Ducati 749, yellow)
Other guy (2002 954RR, Black and Silver)

Okay, so you see the problem right away. At stop lights we look like were moving. So anyways, we approach an intersection with our right blinkers on (night time). We make our corner at walking speed due to the beach pile of sand in the road. We make our corner and proceed up a hill as normal as could be. Mind you the lead rider, the Ducati has < 70 miles, so it's in its break in period. As we climb, a massachusetts state cop crests the hill in the other direction. The lead rider hits his breaks, and naturally the other riders do so as well (its only natural on a bike). After a minute or so the cop drives by myself and the 954 with the lights on and goes after my friend . Well it takes a second for my friend to realize were being pulled over and by the time he does he's around a corner about a 1/4 mile ahead of us. So me and the other guy wait and wait and wait. After a minute we decided were going in the other direction. And then the lights appeared again. Sure as **** he came back for us, collected our information and told us to drive to where my friend is. After 30 minutes he comes back with three tickets and claims a whopping 65 in 35. As we all cough because there's no f'ing way. From where he supposedly clocked us, I could've thrown a rock over the intersection that we had just made a walking corner on (and I can't throw far). If I had dropped the hammer maybe, but I didn't.

Push come to shove, we met back at one of our houses, all signed the tickets for court hearings and gave them all to me to be mailed tomorrow morning, first thing.

So here's my questions:
- What do you do when a cop is desperate for quote and makes up bullsh** like this?
- Will pictures help?
- Is it possible to clock three bikes?
- Can you clock one and give everyone the same ticket?
- Here's the kicker, the tickets all have the radar and estimated checked. No doubt, rookie here was estimating.

Whatever advise anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Fellow .net Junkie

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Im in the similar position. Cop pulled me over last week and said he estimate I was going 70 at a 40. Then when he came back with the ticket saying he estimates I was going 60 at a 40. He didnt even clock me! I am so gonna take him to court.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know what your state laws are but here's what I can tell you about Minnesota....(my brother is a lawyer, and his friend is a cop)

A trained eye is bull... they have to have hard evidence that you were going that speed ie actual radar speed, therefore if and when i ever get pulled over I always ask to see what the radar says, usually the radar cannot detect more than 1 vehicle at a time, (we are going to do some tests with laser next chance I get with the cop)

From what I understand this is all bull, and shouldn't hold up in court, other things I have done when I've had to go to court for a ticket is asked to see when the radar gun was last calibrated, there is a ton of other things to help fight it.... the best thing you could hope for is that the cop doesn't have time to show up for court, no cop no case. should be thrown out, (has happened to me)

All I can say is good luck man!! Almost all cops SUCK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here in Cali cops can estimate speed and give tickets. I know this for a fact because I made it half way through the police academy and that is some of the very first stuff you learn. Cops can estimate speed, distance, what kind of drugs you have under your seat and a bunch of other things. I don't know much about the actual paperwork he gave you but it does sound suspect that marked both box's. I'm sorry to say it, but it does'nt sound like your going to be able to get out of this one. One good thing about Cali is if the officer doesn't show up in court at the time you have to be there, the ticket is droped. The officer can also write off the ticket himself if he want's. All states have different laws about all this stuff, so a word of wisdom to all, go out and buy your states penal code book and read the vehicle code section (or just the important parts), this will give you a huge advantage when you get pulled over.
good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts