Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get a bike real soon if everything works out right

i will be paying cash,
1. understand that i have to register it under my name, people say you need to have insurance (life?) before you can register is that true for the state of TX?
2. will they notify my insurance company or what not? i plan on buying the bike but not riding untill spring time, but perhaps ride it around just a little bit.
3. do they require anything else when registering, please help me out I am a noob at all this

thanks in advanced!!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
u need to have proof of insurance in most states. not life insurance but motorcycle insurance. other than that if u have the cash its pretty simple.

not sure how old u are but check and make sure u can afford the insurance before buying. u may be surprised what they want to cover a sportbike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, but ive ridin my buddies cbr for sometime, so its about time to get my own

insurance is not to bad. got a quote already

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
if u have been riding a sport bike before a 600rr will be fine for you. just ride safe and wear some gear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i cant stress this enough...im not knockin your knowledge but please please please read read read as much as you can on this site! there are alot of helpful people and helpful threads! just be safe! wear gear and think before you act. there are way to many threads in the "crash,boom,bang" forum. but good luck and welcome to the best bike site in the world lol.:rocker:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have experience, not to worry
will some help me get some more knowledge about the title issue please?

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
If you show up with cash... a lot of dealers don't even care if you have insurance for the bike... at least thats how dealers are in CA.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Are you buying it from a private party? If so, as soon as you get the title signed over, call your insurance company and get the insurance started. Have them fax or e-mail a copy of your insurance card to you. Simple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i cant register the bike unless i have insurance? my plan was to buy it and register but get insurance later when i do ride it.
will that not work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are paying cash and not riding it out then the insurance is a moot point. Don't waste your money until you have to. Wait to get the insurance until you actually ride. You'll get your registration in the mail but to get your tabs/plate you have to take your registration and insurance card to the tax office. If your keeping the bike in the garage then the tabs don't matter. If it comes to saving some money I'd wait. But then again you are paying straight cash for the bike so the bones might not matter to you. Note: this is how it works in GA

·
Registered
39 Posts
you're gonna need to register and insured the bike before you can legally ride it on the street. If you're just gonna ride it in the parking lot or test ride the bike why bother getting it registered. You'll need proof of insurance to register the bike for sure, but you can cancel the coverage anytime so just cancel it if you're not gonna ride it. its really not that much if you divide the $$$ up to day/day. I wouldn't ride my bike anywhere without insurance...it wouldn't be fun at all to have to dig up the cash to pay for some1 else's property if u did crash into them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
in va you can be an uninsured motorist where you actually can register your bike legally and ride without insurance. but, if you get in an accident you are pretty much f-ed. just check the dmv website, or go to the office.

·
Registered
141 Posts
when you go to register the bike you will need proof of insurance for the bike, the title, bill of sale, and enough cash to pay taxes and fees. In Texas, you pay tax on 80% of the bikes listed value unless you actually paid more than 80% of the actual value. They do that so people can't say they paid $1 for the bike and pay taxes on the $1. I believe the tax rate is 6.25% also.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh boy. Here comes another statistic.

Let me get this right... you want to buy a bike but not get insurance until next year? However, you want to ride it around for a little bit?

Dude, here is a news flash. If you are buying the bike completely in cash, you only have to get liability insurance and not collision. This will cost under $100 for a whole year. This is because when you crash, the likelihood of you messing up something besides yourself and your bike is very very very low.

If it is like most states, they will ask to see an insurance card. However many don't and just say "do you have insurance?"

Essentially as long as you have cash and a valid ID (notice I didn't say driver's license) you can purchase the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts