Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Do you press the button? Do you believe in a god?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a fun little poll... First read the story and then answer the questions on how you would respond.

A stranger walks up to you and presents you with a button. He tells you that he will pay you $10 for every time you press this button. He doesn't tell you what the button does, but on further inspection, you notice that the button is not connected to anything. You agree and take the button home. On the first day, you manage to push the button 1283 times. The next day, you notice that your checking account had a recent deposit of $12,830. That night, the late night news shows that a 1283 people died in a small village somewhere around the world. The following day, you managed to push the button a 1895 times. The day after, a deposit of $18,950 is deposited into your checking account. Again, the evening news shows that 1895 people died in a hurricane in a city across the nation. This continues to happen, that whatever number of times you press the button, the same number of people seem to die in a tragic disaster.

So the question is...
Do you keep pushing the button?

Second question...
Do you believe there is a god?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i would try to see how many times in an hour i could press the button and then try to beat that time the next hour.

could i pick the people that are killed off as well cause that would really influence the numbers of times i press it

K

·
0 Posts
"I have a question:

Why is... THE G MAN... involved here?"

question about conscience. question about if you believe in coincidences.
I've got both. i have a conscience and i do believe in coincidence. But i don't let either bother me though.

but that's not in the poll.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If i really thought that I was killing people by pressing the button, I would stop. And I don't believe in god.

People saying that the world could use population control.. you are awesome. I bet you thought the same thing when 911 happened and all of those innocent people lost their lives. Maybe your family should get in a car wreck and die today because the world is too populated.

Ignorant comments.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
that's what i'm sayin.

world could use some population control.
That's funny because I thought the same thing. I believe in God so I believe that he has sovereign control of who goes when and why. Even if the button was pressed "x" number of times and "x" number of people died, I wouldn't think twice that God still had control over that independent of me pressing a button. That being said, I do believe we need some population control. Too many people on this earth with not enough resources.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
If i really thought that I was killing people by pressing the button, I would stop. And I don't believe in god.

People saying that the world could use population control.. you are awesome. I bet you thought the same thing when 911 happened and all of those innocent people lost their lives. Maybe your family should get in a car wreck and die today because the world is too populated.

Ignorant comments.
Your comment is ignorant. You're comparing a real-world event with some member on a motorcycle forum, offering up a facetious poll. Please. Don't go and condemn someone's comments as a pock mark on their character. The world does need some population control. There are an awful lot of people with not enough resources (coupled with abuse of resources in richer countries) to take care of everyone. But since you're judging and condemning people for their response to a poll, let me ask you this:

When was the last time you gave up of your "wealth" to help any of the recent disaster victims? Based on your comment, I assume you're a consummate philanthropist, correct?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
really

and yes we do need pop control. tell that the neighbors with 10 kids living in a 1 bedroom house that they need to stop whelping. think about all the resources we could free up if people only had the number of kids that they personally could afford. and nope, my family isnt a drain on society. we take care of ourselves without your tax dollars.

and me personally,
id ask for two buttons

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
That's funny because I thought the same thing. I believe in God so I believe that he has sovereign control of who goes when and why. Even if the button was pressed "x" number of times and "x" number of people died, I wouldn't think twice that God still had control over that independent of me pressing a button. That being said, I do believe we need some population control. Too many people on this earth with not enough resources.
So it would not be your independent decision to push the button, if it in fact led to the deaths of so many since God is in control of who goes, he would also be in control of what leads to the peoples deaths. Thus the button pushing is not independent of God but a direct effect of God and you have no independent say in the matter. Even though fatalism seems to conform to the idea of free will, it is not free will in the common usage of the term. The assumption that we would have control over who dies or not by our own will to push the button is incoherent on such a view.

Oh and CBR/CUT, not cool bro. You can disagree with others but wishing death on their loved ones is something that I hope this forum does not tolerate.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Wow, all the hate. I dont wish death on anyone or their families. What I was trying to show is that the population some people are trying to control (by killing them, thats what the "button" does), they all have someone who loves them.

Don't even turn it around and say I aint cool. Like I said, I dont wish death on anyone's family, and I brought up 911 because many people around the world would say "good, america is too populated anyways.

I agree the world is over populated, I hate the drain on society and the fact that I have to pay for a lot of lazy ass people. Pushing a button to kill them off isn't the answer. And thats the topic of this post, and people said they would do it, because we need population control. Don't blame me for taking offense to that.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Your comment is ignorant. You're comparing a real-world event with some member on a motorcycle forum, offering up a facetious poll. Please. Don't go and condemn someone's comments as a pock mark on their character. The world does need some population control. There are an awful lot of people with not enough resources (coupled with abuse of resources in richer countries) to take care of everyone. But since you're judging and condemning people for their response to a poll, let me ask you this:

When was the last time you gave up of your "wealth" to help any of the recent disaster victims? Based on your comment, I assume you're a consummate philanthropist, correct?
Oh, I donate every year. And more than that, I donate my time to these countries, by being in the US Army, going places where I am needed. I don't need a lecture from you, when you feel you are more important than the other people in the world who also need resources.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
simple .push the button and stop watching TV,.....

besides all that money , i would be way to busy modding the bike and decideing wot to buy next!!!!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts