Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am aware of the benefits of pull ups & push ups & my very short workout schedule I try to do both.

Heres the kicker, when I do pull ups & then push ups, push ups become very hard. Same goes the other way, when I do push ups & then pull ups, I can hardly do any.

So, am I doing it wrong? Or am I supposed to do them on different days? FYI, my goal is just to stay fit & be healthy & build stamina, I also do 30 mins of cardio so my goal is not build huge biceps or chest.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you just started your work out program it is going to be hard for the first few week(s)

Right now, I been eating cheetos and playing games to past the winter. If it try… I can’t do no more then 50 push ups before I fall flat on my face.

If I start my work out program within a few weeks I’ll be doing 100 pushups. Same goes for pull-ups.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Its a build up type thing ... you just go to failure very time you excise and another thing to try is with your cardio get ahold of some 5lbs barbells and run for 2 miles doing hammer curls with them... you'll have rocking endurance if you can keep it up like that.. I run at 8 MPH on a treadmill for 2 miles like that and my endurance is solid

·
Registered
220 Posts
Push ups are a .. *pushing muscle, and pull ups are a .. *pulling. Thus, the people who decide to do 100+pushups a night to get a big chest become very lopsided and eventually have to figure out the hard way that your body needs to be equalized.. Just doing pushups and pull ups won't keep you in shape, I mean.. Sure, you'll get stronger and have more pectoral and back stamina.. But if you want to get into the best shape of probably your life.. I'd check out "Insanity" by Shaun T. I did it for a few weeks last month and I'm starting again tomorrow. It's amazing how fast you'll see results.. And KEEP them. Check it out if your interested! Goodluck!

Tom

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ok here is the drill.
you are looking for general overall fitness if i am not mistaken.
With this we need to look at it from different perspective. Meaning most people will assume you are trying to put muscle on as that is what most people attribute to being in shape.
If i were you i would change up my routine to doing a set of pull ups running a lap then doing a set of push ups then take a min rest then do it again. I wouldn't worry about counting reps right now as you are just beginning and anything you do will work.
Plus you will get more done if you go about it this way because you are giving your specific muscles you are using to do the exercises time to rest.
So lets say you can only do 3 sets of 10 pull ups and 3 sets of 25 push ups. If you change it to 5 reps of pull ups and 15 reps of push ups and run 2 miles you will do 40 pushups and 120 pushups.
Oh and i have a B.S. in Kinesiology with an emphasis in clinical and exercise science. If you need help creating a program i would be willing to help you out

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was watching the infomercials for “Insanity” during the late nights I was going to pick it up but I figured they are all like the rest. Think I will give it a try.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Have a look at this -

Keep an open mind and give it a shot.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
793 Posts
Cool a guy who actually might know what he's talking about!

Ok here is the drill.
you are looking for general overall fitness if i am not mistaken.
With this we need to look at it from different perspective. Meaning most people will assume you are trying to put muscle on as that is what most people attribute to being in shape.
If i were you i would change up my routine to doing a set of pull ups running a lap then doing a set of push ups then take a min rest then do it again. I wouldn't worry about counting reps right now as you are just beginning and anything you do will work.
Plus you will get more done if you go about it this way because you are giving your specific muscles you are using to do the exercises time to rest.
So lets say you can only do 3 sets of 10 pull ups and 3 sets of 25 push ups. If you change it to 5 reps of pull ups and 15 reps of push ups and run 2 miles you will do 40 pushups and 120 pushups.
Oh and i have a B.S. in Kinesiology with an emphasis in clinical and exercise science. If you need help creating a program i would be willing to help you out
I considered going back for a Kinesiology degree at one point.

So what would be a general plan for someone with a knee that rules out overly strenuous legwork such as running? After years of martial arts and doing just about every sport in the book I think the left knee is basically at the 'had enough' stage - going in to have it looked at again in a few weeks but I doubt I'll hear anything new.

I was always pretty fit but staying on my feet and moving made it a lot easier. Managing my weight and cardio fitness has become a challenge now that I can't really rely on activities that require a lot of mobility.

I've been considering going back to swimming as a cardio acitivity (I was burned out on that after doing it in competition through high school and never got back to it.)

S

·
0 Posts
haha! I'm lol'in at your subject, Bimmer ^^^

Mix it up, whatever you do. Go to fatigue every time, but do different muscle groups on different days. If you focus on push ups one day, your upper back (delts/traps) and core will need strengthening the next day to balance it out. Same goes with pull ups; you'll need to work shoulders and triceps the next day. Work outs should ideally be done in different ways too, otherwise it gets really boring real quickly.

Ps. I want a copy of that Insanity too :shakehand

·
Registered
785 Posts
if you're just beginning and you just want to stay in shape, you're on the right track to actually DO something. so many people talk about wanting to stay in shape but don't do **** lol.

any exercise is exercise.

i find that it motivates me most if i write stuff down. i say continue your cardio 3 days a week or more.

and try an easy home split like:

monday: 30 minute cardio
tuesday: pushups and tricep dip
wednesday: 30 minute cardio
thursday: pullups and squats
friday: 30 minute cardio

it's nice to write stuff down so that the NEXT week you stay at the amount you did or at least try for more. it really helps to motivate and keep in check.

for instance, if you do 3 sets of pushups and in your first set this week you find yourself doing 25, write it down.

then, next week, you can take a quick look and tell yourself, "at least hit 25". because you already know you CAN do it, you should be able to do it again so push yourself to make sure you get there. and if you're feeling strong, do more. and again, next week look back and tie it or beat it. i like this because you can't cheat yourself. "ohhh, i'm tired i don't think i can do anymore.." or "eh i'll just do a few more extra next week to make up" ... etc etc

since you're already doing pushups, it also works your triceps. so after you're done do the tricep dips using table or chair. (just look up tricep dip home exercises on youtube if you don't know what they are).

as for pull up day, might as well add in legs too. just freestanding slow squats with no weights.

all of this should take no more than 30 minutes a day and i'm sure if you keep it up and write stuff down, you'll feel/look better in a month.

·
Registered
619 Posts
people go to the gym and lift weights? i just go to watch boobies jiggle :)

dude, pick up a MENSHEALTH magazine. they talk about over health and fitness. I am doing the same thing. I am not trying to get large, just tone and healthy. I kinda take some work out routines from P90X

·
Registered
75 Posts
pushups and pullups work a lot of the same muscles (back, lats, biceps etc). that's why you're losing stamina quicker. you can still do on the same day, just mix up the form (wide grip, close grip etc) to get a better workout

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW, thanks a bunch guys. Looks like I have a lot to work with, all this from a CBR forum. haha

·
Registered
655 Posts
I considered going back for a Kinesiology degree at one point.

So what would be a general plan for someone with a knee that rules out overly strenuous legwork such as running? After years of martial arts and doing just about every sport in the book I think the left knee is basically at the 'had enough' stage - going in to have it looked at again in a few weeks but I doubt I'll hear anything new.

I was always pretty fit but staying on my feet and moving made it a lot easier. Managing my weight and cardio fitness has become a challenge now that I can't really rely on activities that require a lot of mobility.

I've been considering going back to swimming as a cardio acitivity (I was burned out on that after doing it in competition through high school and never got back to it.)
pm me or i can pm you when i get home

1 - 19 of 19 Posts