Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I did something really stupid the other day. I filled the bike with diesel :frown2:

I started the bike and drove it a bit when I hear the revs dip I realized what I had done and cut it out. I have drained the tank. But my question is do I need to drain out the carbs because its fuel injected? Or would it do the do the engine any damage to fill it with petrol and start it?

I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Because it's fuel injected, there are no carbs to drain. Any damage would already be fine if there was some to be (which their shouldn't be).

Be sure ALL of the diesel is out, fill with premium (which you should on the 07+ models anyway) and ride. After the first tankful is done run a quality fuel injector cleaner through following their mixing quantity instructions carefully. I recommend SeaFoam and would do the next two.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Humor me, how did you manage to get diesel into the tank? I thought the nozzles at the stations were larger for diesel to avoid exactly what you did. Especially in Europe.

That aside, drain, refill with premium, and run the cleaners that miweber suggested. Though those might be overkill.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I filled the bike with diesel
How? Aren't the nozzles different sizes like we have in Australia?

do I need to drain out the carbs because its fuel injected?
Drain carbs because fuel injected? That sentence makes no sense. The bike is fuel injected, so there is no carbs. :crackup:

Fill with premium, run until empty. Fuel injector cleaner + fill with premium.

Try not to do it again. :grin2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nozzles are the same size in the U.S. Guys. It happens I know a few people who have done the same with cars. I worked with a guy that put gas in his diesel truck twice....

I just saw his location is Ireland.... They must be the same there as well

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Nozzles are the same size in the U.S. Guys. It happens I know a few people who have done the same with cars. I worked with a guy that put gas in his diesel truck twice....

I just saw his location is Ireland.... They must be the same there as well
Well, learn something new everyday! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I would also like to note that most diesel pumps here are green. Except BP, all those fking pupmps are green. Scares me everytime.
IIRC, stations here are:
E10 - green
91 - yellow
95 - blue
98 - red
Diesel - black

Some servos like She'll don't even have E10 anymore. So just yellow/blue/red/black.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

No they're the same size here. Diesel is black and petrol green. But at the station I went into both were green... It was stupid I have to say. I was thinking about something else and just picked up the green handle.

This guy is either an obvious troll or a major idiot...most likely both.
As I said it was stupid Patrick I just wish I could be as perfect as you. It must be nice to have never made a mistake.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So you're saying you accidentally put diesel in your bike 14 months ago, solved the issue yourself, then completely forgot the entire series of events and did it all over again...maybe it's just a glitch in the matrix.

·
Registered
966 Posts
14 months ago? I just put up the post last week. I did it about two weeks ago
Follow the link its 11-2-14 thats over a year ago. Hell that had to be your first post on here.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Link doesn't work on mobile, but it's his second post.

Hi guys I recently put diesel into my bike by mistake :spank:

I didnt start it and drained the tank. After that I put in a new fill and went for a spin but it kept on cutting out at low revs. I thought this might be the plugs so I changed them and did the oil and filter while I was at it. But still have the same problem. I should mention the bike also has a power commander on it.

I was hoping someone might know why this is happening?

Cheers

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah it must be some glitch the date is right on my side. I have put up a few post here in the past but that does sound like around the time I joined the site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts