Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that if you have a chatterbox you can only talk to 1 other chatterbox at a time? Is that true? So you couldn't have 3 or more chatterboxes/bikers talking together?

Thanks,

rl.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Definitely NOT true. There can be as many FRS-and devices on the channel as you want. That includes Chatterboxes, handheld FRS radios, etc...

There is no limit.

You might step on each other transmissions if there are people trying to talk at the same time, but there's definitely no limit.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Wizard......I don't think that all the Chatterbox systems are FRS though....So I'm thinking that the cheaper versions it's probably true.
I know if its an FRS system you are correct anybody on that channel can talk, just like a CB.

RL600 what type of chatterbox are you refering too??

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Dr.Spank said:
Wizard......I don't think that all the Chatterbox systems are FRS though....So I'm thinking that the cheaper versions it's probably true.
I know if its an FRS system you are correct anybody on that channel can talk, just like a CB.

The Chatterbox IS based on the extended FRS band. That's why someone following me in a car can use a handheld Motorola FRS radio and speak to me through my GRMSX1 Chatterbox (tried it with the X2 as well, works just fine).

I've done this on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dr.Spank said:
The FRS-X2, I'm looking to buy one (along with friends), and i wanted to make sure what i heard wasn't true before i bought them.

Thanks for the comments/information. Very helpful! Just to double check... If me and 2 friends (3 total people) all got the FRS-X2, we could all talk together? (Sorry, just want to double check!)

THANKS!

rl.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
probably... i just got my dad a pair of GMRS X1's for his b-day... the only thing I have noticed is for some reason when they are right next to each other, at a light, etc... they get all staticy... other than that it's awesome.

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
yes, if you're all on FRS, you can all talk to each other. you could even have friends w/ handheld FRS radios and talk to them.

FRS is a subset of GMRS channels, so somebody w/ a GMRS can hear everybody on any FRS channel.

but if have a GMRS radio and use one of the GMRS-only channels, only somebody that has a GMRS radio can hear you.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
So are the chatterbox channels the same as any of the regular 40 CB channels?

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
RL600 said:
I'd also like to know this! I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

NO they are 2 different things....FRS and CB radios are totally different.

On my cruiser we use Handheld cb's fo the simple fack that they have a longer range, sound better and are more reliable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts