Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so anyway i have been reading more and more into this theory.
i find it to be pretty dam interesting.

so why for the thread?

if there are any of you who are also interested int he subject, or ne of you who have some input, here is the place to put it.

from wiki:
Quantum mechanics (QM) is a set of scientific principles describing the known behavior of energy and matter that predominate at the atomic and subatomic scales. The name derives from the observation that some physical quantities—such as the angular momentum of an electron—can be changed only by set amounts, or quanta, rather than being capable of varying by any amount. The wave–particle duality of energy and matter at the atomic scale provides a unified view of the behavior of particles such as photons and electrons. Photons are the quanta of light, and have energy values proportional to their frequency via the Planck constant. An electron bound in an atomic orbital has quantized values of angular momentum and energy. The unbound electron does not exhibit quantized energy levels, but is associated with a matter wave, as are all massive particles. The full significance of the Planck constant is expressed in physics through the abstract mathematical notion of action.
The mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics is abstract and its implications are often non-intuitive. The centerpiece of this mathematical system is the wavefunction. The wavefunction is a mathematical function of time and space that can provide information about the position and momentum of a particle, but only as probabilities, as dictated by the constraints imposed by the uncertainty principle. Mathematical manipulations of the wavefunction usually involve the bra-ket notation, which requires an understanding of complex numbers and linear functionals. Many of the results of QM can only be expressed mathematically and do not have models that are as easy to visualize as those of classical mechanics. For instance, the ground state in quantum mechanical model is a non-zero energy state that is the lowest permitted energy state of a system, rather than a more traditional system that is thought of as simple being at rest with zero kinetic energy.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
None of us can read Chinese can you please translate to English?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
None of us can read Chinese can you please translate to English?
It's saying how electrons behave like a ninja. You can only predict where they're at but you will never know for sure if they're really there.

I always love the Quantum Mechanic Physics. It seems so clear when I read about it but by the time I'm done reading, I don't understand what had just happened.

Another explanation for you kids.

·
Registered
277 Posts
wow the kid video hurt my head:banghead:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Learned about this crap in my graduate thermomechanics class. The fundamentals are pretty intense, but the results are readily available to be applied to things like compressible flows where different energy states come into play.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dr quantum vid is good to get the basic idea.

its kind of like all of the possible outcomes for the path of electron ( or an event occuring) exist all at once, the only time it is definite one or the other is when observed.

what i think is pretty cool is that scientists are starting to see that there is something unseen taking place. something that you cant actually quantify or measure.
some say that the process of human thought is taking part in the cration process of matter and events that take place.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
someone told me a story yesterday, cant remember the name of it. but ne way it goes like this.

you have a cat in a box with a device that is capable of killing it. the device can either be set to activate killing the cat, or remain inactive keeping miss kitty alive.

now, this is all inside of a closed box, obscured from view.

when we look at the box all of the possible outcomes exist. the cat is alive the cat is dead. its only when we open the box to observe that the ( wave function ) collapses and one outcome is chosen.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)

to guests, make and account and post your thoughts...

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this whole quantum theory stuff is kinda like the matrix movie. i say that because it starts making you question reality. what is real and how do you know what is real?
for the last 400 years science says that you must be able to measure it, or use the 5 basic human senses to observe it. the problem with that is that it jsut doesnt leave ne room for things like, ideas, emotions, dreams, thoughts..so its obvious that we are not seeing the whole picture in that sense when we define reality.

question to you then is how do you define real?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The thing that has interested me the most in this field is, just like any other study of extreme large or small, once you get down to a point it's all basically "magic". Just like the study of the universe, quantum mechanics boils down to hypothesis at some point. It's one of those, "the more you learn the less you know" type of thing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
my girlfriend just got her degree from drexel in this field and every so often we talk about simpler things and its just way to smart of a subject for me lol im more street smart as they say where as she hits the books no problem.

But she blows me away with some of the things she can figure out and the stuff she studys is just insane...

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing that has interested me the most in this field is, just like any other study of extreme large or small, once you get down to a point it's all basically "magic". Just like the study of the universe, quantum mechanics boils down to hypothesis at some point. It's one of those, "the more you learn the less you know" type of thing.
magic, yea. i think its going to be a delicate dance between said magic and things seen and measureable when we understand whats happening.

my girlfriend just got her degree from drexel in this field and every so often we talk about simpler things and its just way to smart of a subject for me lol im more street smart as they say where as she hits the books no problem.

But she blows me away with some of the things she can figure out and the stuff she studys is just insane...
ok, step 1. get your chick to join and discuss with us. tell her to leave those silly alumni forums alone and hit up the dotnet. haha.

this makes me wonder more and more about the potential of the human mind.
assuming we use like 10 % then what would be possible if we used 20 you know. tell me before i pine away!!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re·al 1 (rl, rl)
adj.
a. Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence: real objects; a real illness.
b. True and actual; not imaginary, alleged, or ideal: real people, not ghosts; a film based on real life.
c. Of or founded on practical matters and concerns: a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time.
2. Genuine and authentic; not artificial or spurious: real mink; real humility.
3. Being no less than what is stated; worthy of the name: a real friend.
4. Free of pretense, falsehood, or affectation: tourists hoping for a real experience on the guided tour.
5. Not to be taken lightly; serious: in real trouble.
6. Philosophy Existing objectively in the world regardless of subjectivity or conventions of thought or language.
7. Relating to, being, or having value reckoned by actual purchasing power: real income; real growth.
8. Physics Of, relating to, or being an image formed by light rays that converge in space.
9. Mathematics Of, relating to, or being a real number.
10. Law Of or relating to stationary or fixed property, such as buildings or land.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i read these and i do not see where i can place things like i said earlier, thoughts, dreams, yada yada.

so they are not 'Real'. if thats the case why would anit depressants sell to millions of people to fix something that is not even real?

i think that this subject matter will launch us into a new paradigm. we are going to be forced to accept that the truth of the matter is far different than what we have been taught. that some of the most basic and fundamental truths of the world are completely inacurate. some rules can be bent, others, broken.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dunno how about something that you can control. :drunk:
ok something you can control.
how about this then. what if i say something you cannot control. like the weather ( though that may be debatable today )
or how about plate techtonics, or solar flares. earthquakes. ..

generally you cannot 'control' these things. so are they not real?

the definition of Real must be changed accordingly to identify that things do take place that should be considered real yet are not expressedly written as such.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts