Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay, Second post. Oky doky, I have a question, and hope I have put it in the right place. When riding my cruiser, a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750, henceforth known as the shadow, I use the front and rear brake, with two fingers on the front brake two slow down, using mostly, in my opinion, the rear brake too stop. I pull the clutch in, and use the brakes. On my 2004 Honda CBR600RR, henceforth known as the CBR, I down shift one gear from what I was riding at, release the clutch, and use the rear brake until the bike begins too shudder, at which point I depress the clutch, and occasionally tap the front brake too bring it too a complete stop. I stop alot quicker then just using the rear brake and depressing the clutch, but is it safe for my tranny. Keep in mind I only have 600 miles on the bike, and I havent brought it past 6k RPM, hopefully that was a proper break in. I don't mean too start a big flame war or anything about proper riding, and I know I should be using the front brake more due too 75/25 and all that, but after having a get-off due to copious amounts of front brake use, I feel more comfortable doing what im doing right now. I just want too make sure its safe on the motor and tranny and all that good stuff. P.S- Im pretty new too learning the technical aspects of bikes, but I've been riding almost a year now. If that clears up anything. Thanks again. :razz:

C

·
0 Posts
If you cant use both your front and rear brakes to stop, then you obviously need some proper training on using your front brake (or brakes period). You SHOULD be using both brakes, just using the rear brake is dumb. You need to learn how to squeeze the front brake slowly while stopping instead of just slamming on them. You got thrown from the bike previously because you slammed on the front brake instead of easing into it like you should. Using just your rear brake and some engine braking to stop is not the thing to do. What if you need to make a sudden stop? ......

LEARN TO USE BOTH BRAKES AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
agreed. go out and practice using your front brake. get comforable with it. your rear brake is alittle week ass piece of crap compaired to the front and you'll need it in an emgergency. Also, i would recomend down shifting one gear at a time and letting out the clutch each time. That way, you'll be in the right gear in the event something happens and you need to get out of a hairy situation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree, you should learn to use both brakes at the same time. I think a lot of people just use their front brake most of the time, but you should be comfortable enough to be able to use your front and rear brakes in emergency situations. Getting into the practice of using both will probably benefit you more in the long run.

·
Registered
405 Posts
On top of what everyone else said, if your only using your rear brake and you panic in an emergency situation your gonna just lock your rear up and either a) crash or b) go sliding into whatever is in front of you. You've got to learn to use the front man I can't stress how important it is (I can't believe I'm even typing this :bitchslap: )

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here's a good read on tests on braking limits:

http://www.fmq.qc.ca/pdf/amorce-freinage_eng.pdf

I hope you're not brave and adventurous enough to take the 600RR to the streets if that's how you still brake. Please practice proper/panic braking in empty parking lots. Maybe you use cruiser style four fingers on the the front brake, try using 3 or 2 fingers only. When approaching a stop, I would always, downshift each gear, blipping each time. As I gently roll off the throttle, I would lightly load the rear brake lever (this will take a lot of practice especially it's hard to feel when riding with heavy boots) and then followed by progressively squeezing on the front brake. It depends how fast I'm going and how fast I want to stop, it's usually in the 75/25 to 95/5 and just before rolling to a stop, I would gently let off the front and add more pressure on the rear for a smooth stop. Again, practice is the key.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I agree with the guys here but want to add that you should stop engine braking for now until you get comfortable with using both brakes at once. Then you can add in downshifting...engine braking while you're pulling both brakes. RelfF2, makes a good point of being in the right gear at all times.

Good luck and welcome to the board! :thumbup:

Tim

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
HOLY SH!T!!! these bikes have a rear break!!! LOL...

to re-enforce what the others have said, using solely your rear break will get you in trouble. hell, a combination front-rear will even get you in trouble, if you not extreamly careful. you definately NEED to start using your front brake, if not solely.

how did you experience the get-off during your last front brake experience? did the front end wash out on you or did you to a unexpected stoppie? either way, i'm going to go out on a limb and said you grabbed a handfull of front brake for the road conditions...

as for you question, the method you have described is not increadably bad on you drivetrain, but it's not good either. using downshifting and breaking until the engine begins to stutter is going to be hard on your tires as well as ware and tear on your tranny and engine... FYI: you should never let your engine sputter/stutter... like RelfF2 mentioned, you should ALWAYS be in the proper gear. you never know when you'll need to power out of a situation.

Have you taken the MSF course? It sounds like you're lacking some basic braking skills... It might be worth your time/money to signup for an MSF course, if you haven't taken it already.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
what's a rear brake????

just kidding--I use it some--mostly when riding slow or stopped to keep from moving. You definately need to use the front brake for most of your stopping power.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have seen a lot of people sliding off the road latley. Mainly entering a turn. When I talk to them they always say something about the rear locking up. It is too easy to lock up the rear. And always to remeber to steer toward the slide if you lock it up and the back start to come around.

You have got to learn to use the fronts. Maybe take a class.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ease into the front brake, get over your fear you don't have anything to worry about, the nose may dive... but not overly bad if your suspension is set properly.
don't scrap the engine braking. However since you want to learn better usage of your front brake, don't downshift to hard that the rear wheel skips... u can learn better downshifting precedures later...
just suck it up, be a man, and don't slam on the front brake.. ease into it, your tire will stick, unless you overdo it.. which takes alot.
BTW - engine braking won't hurt your tranny.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the MSF riding course, it was the only way I could get insurance on the bike. Plus it's how I got my license. The bikes we used were like like 150cc dirt bikes that were all messed up from people dropping them. Example: The instructor was yelling at me too go faster, and I had the throttle twisted all the way down, and it was just barely doing 15 MPH, the handle was all messed up from someone dropping it. I drive my bikes everyday too work. Cruiser or sport. I think I brake alot better on the cruiser, I use 2 fingers on the front, and the rear as well. I think it's just a better begginer bike, but besides that, I have been practicing more, I also am able too downshift at 15mph, into first gear, and not slow down too 9 mph any more. I can keep it steady. So controlling throttle and my brakes im slowly working on. It took me a while too even be able too ride the sport after it tossed me the first time. :shock: It pretty much impromptu stoppied on me, just a little bit then I locked the tire up and toppled over. :bitchslap: I was trying too slow down too fast too enter into a store parking lot, luckily no one ran my dumb ass over. P.S - I don't ride with any one else on the bike but me, which haviny only two bikes makes it hard on me and my girlfriend, but until I can safely and quickly stop the bike, I dont want too increase the weight on the bike or on my shoulders for propbably another year or so. :oops:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
do the parking lot thing. it'll help out a LOT!!! grab a some of cones or something to you can uses as markers. set one up to as a starting point for you to apply the breaks. and use the others to gauge where you ended up stopping at...

try a couple of front/rear brake experiments. stop once with only the rear brake and mark it, then stop another time using only your front brakes. these experiments will illustrate how much faster and shorter you can stop using only your front brakes compared to only your rear brakes.

after you've tried the front brake/rear brake experiments a couple of times, try to SLOWLY decrease the distance it takes for you to come to a complete stop, using the markers as a gauge for each run. Remember, the key here is SMALL INCREMENTS. Don't try to go out and decrease your stopping distance dramaticly between runs...

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's obvious that you either don't know how to use your front brake properly or have lost confidence with it after the incident. Try what Mule suggests but it's important to know the proper way of using the front lever. When you roll off the throttle, some weight is shifted to the front which a little more will be added when you squeeze on the front lever. Remember, the first squeeze should be light or gentle, you will feel that more weight is transferred forward. Now that you have it setup for more traction, squeeze some more but progressively, don't grab abruptly, and the bike will slow down smoothly. Give a bit out when you're close to stopping or transfer your braking to the rear for a smooth stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts