Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas quick question...

I found something called Lamin-X its like a clear protector for your lights. Is this acceptable for use on a track. Just asking becuase I'd rather put that on my bike than cover the headlamp with electrical tape once I start doing track.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing -- I have the 3M adhesive-backed stuff from Tankslapper on my headlights, and will be doing another track day at Infineon Raceway (aka Sears Point) next Thursday. In theory, I think it should suffice, because the main reason some track day organizers want the lenses taped up is that they're less likely to shatter into a million pieces if you spill (resulting in a longer cleanup, cutting in to track time for others). So the 3M (or Lamin-X in your case) kinda serves the same purpose as the tape, you would think.

I'll see how it goes next week. In the end though, it's the track day organizer's call, and "your mileage may vary." The organizer that is hosting my day next week (Zoom Zoom Racing) requires the taped headlights, whereas the other organizer that I often use (Keigwins at the Track) doesn't require tape, and doesn't require you to disconnect them either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did a track day at Roebling Road in GA. Pretty low key, no safety wire, but you do have to tape the "glass" aka all your lights. You also have to disconnect the wiring. I think the main reason is just to keep the light from hindering other riders and keep track debris to a minimum if there is a wreck.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
RRpilot said:
From what I have seen at my track days it was not acceptable.
Agreed. If you want an alternative for trackdays find a seller of vinyl signmaking supplies. They will sell rolls/sheets of adhesive backed vinyl for making signs. Basicly sheets of tape.

Make a pattern of the lights you need to cover and transfer the pattern to the vinyl sheet, cut it out and now you have one sheet of vinyl to cover the lights. With a little practice you can make the tape job look very professional, almost like race bodywork. Then make a few of the from the pattern and for your next trackday you have all your taping done in minutes.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Does anyone else have any other suggestions on what to use to tape up the headlight assemblies?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Colored duct tape.
Gotta agree. Use a different color than most. This will make you stand out with control riders and you might find you are getting more help than most. 3M makes a blue painters tape that work well with very little residue when you remove it.

C

·
0 Posts
I would use the 3M blue tape. It's called Long-Mask because it can stay on for long periods of time and will not leave sticky goo on. When I worked construction this tape was the only stuff we could use because it wouldn't leave a mess...

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=745133

This tape is perfect for everything....
brake light
turn signals
& mirrors (if you don't remove them)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts