Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does it make a difference if it gutted out vs not being gutted out. i was told it has the "flap" looking thing to stop rain from being sucked in.

from the peeps that have done this MOD i would like some input.

·
Registered
829 Posts
On the 03/04 model, there is no flap. Some larger displacement bikes have a flap in the airbox to help create the necessary air flow at low RPMs. I know some people live by removing the flap in the Busa airbox, some people don't care.

Someone decided to cut huge holes in the side of my intakes (it was clearly done on purpose). I have them temporarily repaired and I'm looking for new ones. Modifying the intake by adding additional holes isn't going to do squat. If anything, it would reduce the ram air affect at speed and cause you to lose top end. My guess is whoever cut mine up thought they would get more low end grunt or something. If it does help, its marginal or in the head of the modifier.

tl;dr version: Figure out what your intake looks like before looking at ways to modify it. And then, don't "gut" it. The only mod I have heard of would be removing the resonators or reducing the volume of the stock intake tube, making it more like a straight through race intake tube.

·
Registered
973 Posts
That's one of the mods that I dunt understand, if removing the flap increases flow at that location, id assume much more turbulence is created just after the flap, where there is a 90 deg elbow-like diversion to lift that air above the filter element..since not much is reported by either formats..its safe to say it doesn't make any tangible difference.... maybe...

·
Registered
829 Posts
If there is a flap, it is to reduce the effective volume of the intake at low RPMs. But sameh's reasoning is exactly why people take it out. Changing the design of the air intake on bikes is a trade off most of the time. Lose low end, gain high end with flap removed.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Not really what you're asking I don't think, but when I switched to my 03 track bodywork, I left my ram air tubes completely off. I only use the circular tubes that stick in the frame sections for some "guiding air flow". My outside fairing ram pieces were left on for the headlight conversion and cosmetics. I Don't think it made a hoot of difference either way, it just gave me more room to move my harnesses where I wanted. The bike runs so smooth at any rpm and it's pretty much perfect that I can never complain. I guess you could say it took away some extra weight too.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hmmm...but turbulence shouldn't be desirable at any rpm...does the hrc ram come without the flap?
Turbulence isn't desirable, but I think the goal of removing the flap is an increase in air speed moving into the cylinder at higher RPM. The velocity stacks should also help with smoothing the air flow regardless of the flap.

Its like going from 525 pitch to 520 pitch chains. Its a negligible gain, but if you're trying to set record lap times on track, everything counts. For street riding, I'd leave it alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts