Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should go in the crash section since it wasn't actually a crash, but it has happened a couple of times to me and I wanted to know what you guys think.

Hawaii has this pedestrian law that says vehicles must STOP, not yield, when a pedestrian enters their half of the road (this part of the law totally confuses me, but that's not the point)

I was cruising down a pretty busy 4 lane street doing about 30 MPH. My lane was clear, but the lane to the right of me was a little backed up. There was an SUV in the right lane about 50 ft. ahead of me that was stopped by a crosswalk. There was no light at the crosswalk, but there was a stop light about another 50 feet past the crosswalk. I just automatically assumed that the car was leaving space for the crosswalk but out of nowhere a couple of pedestrians appear from in front of the SUV. I braked hard, but everything happened so fast I don't even know if i passed in front of them or behind them.

I am all for pedestrian safety and stopping when they are in a crosswalk but I think they need to look out for cars...especially if they are appearing from in front of a large vehicle like a bus or SUV. Should I have stopped assuming there would be a pedestrian? Whether I'm in my car or on my bike, I think it's ridiculous to stop at every crosswalk assuming there is a pedestrian everytime I can't see the whole crosswalk. I'd be stopping for no reason and cars behind me would get pissed. I don't think it's safe for me either, stopping for no reason when it is all clear in front of me. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think you dont have much of a choice considering its the law. Sorry bro.

its either keep assuming or dont and hit someone or get a ticket.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
kakashi74 said:
...There was an SUV in the right lane about 50 ft. ahead of me that was stopped by a crosswalk...
That should've given you a hint that something was up.
But in CA, pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way.
But jaywalking will get them in trouble...
.....?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, i'll tell ya what. In madison here it's a college town, so there are always lots of people walking around. It's the law to yield to pedestrians, but the problem here is that people abuse this law. People will walk out into the street without a walk light knowing that cars must stop for them. It definitly makes for interesting rides sometimes......

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here's my little blind spot story, and how it affected me. I was driving through a semi-highway approaching a red light. There are 2 straight lanes, 2 left hand turn lanes, and 1 right hand cut out, a 15-20 foot wide grass median, and another 2 opposing lanes with a feed in lane outside it. I was approaching in the left straight lane behind approx 10 cars, when I decided to get in the right hand lane where that was only 1 car stopped. As I slowed for the light, the light turns green, so the car in front of me goes, and I go behind it. Here's where it gets interesting. An ambulance comes out of nowhere from my left going approx 50 mph, hits my left front fender, then drives me head first into the metal light pole, then bouncing me 15 feet away. My seat belt and air bag didn't work, I broke my back and punched the radio with my right hand, hit my head on the steering wheel, etc etc. Anyway, in the left straight lane at the front of the line was a school bus, 18 wheeler tanker truck, and a string of cars and trucks. The ambulance driver assumed the lane was clear b/c there was a gap between me and the car in front of me, and my life long back pain is the result of his immature decision. He broke the ambulance companies rule by not accounting for every vehicle in the intersection, exceeding 10 mph in an intersection, and not sounding horns throughout the entire intersection. Don't assume there's not something around that corner. I was in an 02 Chevy Z71 with 9 inches of lift and 36's, so I was as tall as that school bus, but I still couldn't be seen. My radio wasn't turned up at all, and I didn't hear any sirens. I know pedestrians do tend to take advantage of cross walks, but we still are responsible for hurting them if we hit them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree we have to watch out for pedestrians and assume there is a pedestrian in a blind spot, BUT considering they will be much more severely injured if they get hit by a car, they should watch out for cars more.
A moving car takes many feet and many seconds to stop, but a walking person can stop on a dime and it takes less than a split second to change their direction. I just think with this new law, pedestrians feel they are safer and are putting themselves out there in the crosswalk and they are paying less attention to cars, making them MORE at risk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I live in Hawaii too. I've noticed with this new law that some pedestrians think they have the right of way as soon as they step in the crosswalks no matter how close a car is when they do it. It's like they do this when a car is coming and it's only 40 or 50 feet away. They don't seem to realize that they should wait for cars that are that close to pass and then cross when it's clear or if a car is far enough away that they can easily slow down if someone is in the cross walk. I almost nailed a woman on Mother's day (she was probably a mother too) while riding on the North Shore. I seen her waiting to cross and I was going the speed limit and I seen that she was looking at me and I thought she was going to wait till I passed. All of a sudden she decides she wants to cross when I'm only 30 or 40 feet away. I have to break quickly or come close to hitting her. So I lock the back tire to make my stop more dramatic hoping she'd realize what a stupid thing she just did. I stop 5 feet from her and then just roll past slowly and I red-line it to let her know I'm pissed. To top it off, she wasn't even in a cross walk at all.

There were witnesses and you could tell they were tripping out on this woman just crossing like that when I was so close. They also got a laugh out of me yelling at that lady with my exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Canada has the same law...When I used to live in Lynden, Wa...We had Canadians around all the time and they would just step off the curb and start walking...no looks or anything...I saw one or two get tagged...

·
Registered
344 Posts
kakashi74 said:
Hawaii has this pedestrian law that says vehicles must STOP, not yield, when a pedestrian enters their half of the road (this part of the law totally confuses me, but that's not the point)

Should I have stopped assuming there would be a pedestrian? Whether I'm in my car or on my bike, I think it's ridiculous to stop at every crosswalk assuming there is a pedestrian everytime I can't see the whole crosswalk. I'd be stopping for no reason and cars behind me would get pissed. I don't think it's safe for me either, stopping for no reason when it is all clear in front of me. What do you think?
i don't think you should've stopped necessarily, but i think you should have slowed down in anticipation of a pedestrian. If you're aware of the law and you see that cars are stopped before a crosswalk perhaps that an indication that there are pedestrians.

Now with that being said it wasn't really "all clear in front" of you - there was a pedestrian. I'd be concerned with people rear-ending me when i'm on my bike if this situation happened to me. They have a similar law on base where i work and i look and make contact with drivers before walking into the cross walk - they usually stop for me. I think some pedestrians can be idiots and just walk in the road in their "protective" crosswalk, but if the law states that you must stop, then you should probably stop or atleast slow down prior to the cross walk.

You'll have to take it on a case-by-case basis too. If someone was on my tail while i'm riding, i'm not going to stop abruptly. I'd rather take a fine/ticket then put my life further at risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts