Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I was getting on the highway and notice that the lanes next to me, which I had to merge onto, had a raised surface. The primary lanes had been repaved, but not the merge lane, so there would be about an 1-2" step getting onto the other lanes. I was going highway speed, but the step looked big enough that I was afraid something would happen if I suddenly merged at a shallow angle. I ended up pulling over to the shoulder, and when the first lane cleared up a bit, I entered that lane slowly at a bigger angle.

Question is, would I actually have been ok if I switched lanes at that speed where there is a significant step in the surface?

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is how to merge those lanes – keep the bike at about 5-6k rpm, and squat on the pegs, and lean back slightly with your butt in the air (MX style). As you make the lane change, just crack the throttle (don’t need to wheelie, just take the weight off the front end), as the front wheel comes to the lip – then, once you’ve crossed, just return to normal riding position. The angle that you hit it wont matter at all

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
exo600 said:
could of done a bunny hop
I hope you're just kidding because that's a good recipe for a tank slapper. Just hold the bars steady and merge over into the lane. You'd be suprised how stable your bike really is. I don't recommend you try to lighten the load on the front end. That's how tanks slappers start.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
As long as it was safe to pull over, I think you made the right choice. When in doubt, dont do something youre unsure of.

Beyond that... Meddling Kids advice is pretty good.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hmr1 said:
As long as it was safe to pull over, I think you made the right choice. When in doubt, dont do something youre unsure of.

Beyond that... Meddling Kids advice is pretty good.
+1 to that. Why risk it, just be safe and pull over like you did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts