Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
8,000 is a good rpm. 6,000 is a good cruising change too. what would help us is if you posted the approximate RPMs that you are shifting at. we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Would that mean changing below 6k is not needed, would it make the engine bog down? 8k seems high but the again it redlines at like 15k so halfway does sound pretty good. I don't have a bike..I'm just talking out of my ass
:bitchslap:
Mike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
lol, well your ass seems to know a lot. changing below 6k is just fine, but if not before, than 6k is a good time. it won't bog at all unless you're going pretty slow and in a much higher gear than necessary.

I don't have a bike..I'm just talking out of my ass
no bike, huh? ya getting one?

·
Registered
419 Posts
if the police are behind you stay under 5000

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your owner's manual recommends changing gears at 5 specified speeds. I don't feel like going out to my garage to get the manual right now. I believe the manual states that you should change from 1st to 2nd at 12 mph. Then once you hit 37 mph, you should be in 6th gear.

·
Registered
881 Posts
KoCo said:
i change gear at like 3.000 and im on 6th gear at maybe 28-30 mph.
Are you messing with us man? I'll have my guido cousins busts some kneecaps.

If you really wanted to, you could just ride in 2nd and never have to go up. It really depends how you ride. If you need to move quickly, but not necessarily speeding, you'll hold the revs longer.

Don't worry about looking at the tach, If you're hitting above 10k, you'll definitely know. Just like driving a car, you get the feeling on when to shift based on the feeling if you're jamming or cruising. Just pay attention to the road.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
More importantly what rev do you change gears when there is an r6 next to you coming off a stop light?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
3k is a bit low man. like said by others: you can kill your battery that way. and lowzx3on17s is right, even 5k is a bit low, but that's why 6k is OK for cruising. just my .02 but you should be changing when it feels like it needs to be changed, not by your speed or your tach. you'll feel it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
116 Posts
7K has been my rule for sportbikes, both FI and carburator ones. I keep it between 6 and 8 when cruising. I am not agressive, neither I give a sh*t about drag racing any R6s off the traffic light. I just don't wanna give my engine the hard time. You can feel it running freely or being hesitant. Not bogging down, just hesitant, which is bad enough IMO. I am not talking about rocket acceleration in the five-digit area, but the engine shouldn't hesitate. It's putting some strain on it just like it would on your legs cycling uphill in the wrong gear. If your muscles are strong enough you'd be able to hammer the bicycle pedals, but what if your bones aren't strong enough for yout leg muscles? Engines go through extensive R&D and testing, so their "muscles" match the "bone strength", but still: that strain is bad. I am not a mechanic it's just my private opinion. The myth about RPMs is quite old. The gas mileage would suffer for sure as you open your throttle more to overcome that engine hesitation. Our small hi-revving engine relies primarily on kinetic energy, not torque.

The bottom line is every engine has its own optimal shifting RPMs. It was 2K for my old 325e which stands for "economical", but it's 5K in my M3 because it's made this way. Otherwise its somewhat unintelligent semi-automated hydraulic shifter would jerk the car. Every transmission has that spot when the speeds equalize. Try to upshift your RR without the clutch and you'll see it's quite high: around 8K or so. That's the ideal shifting speed for me. You can relax it a little when cruising, but not more than 2K.

More experienced mechanics are welcome to correct my numbers. The ones published in the Honda manual are incorrect. I think those shifting speeds were put there intentionally along with other formal junk to satisfy environazzies.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The ones published in the Honda manual are incorrect. I think those shifting speeds were put there intentionally along with other formal junk to satisfy environazzies.
+1 to that mofo. that's how i feel about it. it's just there to make sure they cover their asses and tell you how it "should" be done. :bitchslap:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just my .02 but I thought those recommended shifting speeds by Honda were in there for your best fuel economy. If you stay in those limits, you'll get the best fuel consumption.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts