Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i didn't plan this one, but i had to ride in the pouring rain for about 30 minutes last night. I never rode in the rain before until last night. But i took extra caution and everything seemed ok.

But when i parked my bike to open the garage door, i saw the rain being evaporated(or something else) on something. looked like it was coming from either the front wheel or somewhere from bottom, and immediately I could smell something burning.. like oil or something. I couldn't really tell.

Is this normal? Does riding in the rain damage the bike in any way? What's the proper care after riding in the rain? I just wiped off the water and that's about it. i hope i didn't mess up anything last night hmm...

one more question though(sorry about long post).
my bike kept dying on me at a red light about 3 minutes after i took off with some warm up. was it because of improper warm up, cold weather, or both? what could be the reason? i panicked(ur..spell??) because it never died on me in the middle of the street like that. i had to push the bike to the gas station which was right next to me. but some cagers passed by me while i was trying to get it going in the first gear.. talk about embarrassing moment.. whew

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I had the same smell , i think its from the water hitting the pipes-header
which creates a steamy mist with the oily smell :?: :headscratch: but
i could be wrong

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it was the oily smell.. or coolant... or some sort.. i can't describe it well.. anyone know??? is riding in the rain generally OK?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Riding in the rain won't hurt your bike unless you don't maintain it. The next time you pull your rear wheel make sure you lube the axle really good. Sand off any rust the may have started. I ride frequently in the rain here in Florida. And always clean your bike thoroughly after you get home. Don't let that scum water sit on your bike. If you can rinse it off with the garden hose and then clean it.

Tim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your fine man, as someone already said, it was just the water steaming off of the header pipes which probably had some oil residue on them from your last oil change or just from the factory. This is normal, and riding in the rain is not going to harm your bike in any way. Now leaving it out in the rain uncovered for days on end is a different story, but who in their right mind would do that to a bike like this??? :shock:

If you saw the rain simulator tests that these bikes had to sustain before they were approved for sales, you'd never even worry about this again.

J

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can rinse it off with the garden hose and then clean it.
ok, here comes my newbie question. To me, bikes look much more naked than cages. is it ok to spray the water with hose? or should i avoid wetting the certain parts..?

dont u live in VA ?
i'm in MD. Weather.com is always wrong!!! argh!! never trust them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
doode, i have ridden this biek through a RIDICLOUS hurricane on the way home from florida. 2 days of rain, 1400 miles. trust me the bike can take it and laugh at it.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
ok, here comes my newbie question. To me, bikes look much more naked than cages. is it ok to spray the water with hose? or should i avoid wetting the certain parts..?
yeah you're cool to hose it down. everything that's electrical is covered and (should be) water tight. otherwise, you would been hosed in the rain ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What should be your main concern when riding it the rain? I have heard that it's most dangerous when it first starts raining...

mIKE

·
Registered
513 Posts
my bike is my daily commuter from early spring till the DOT dumps salt on the road , rain or shine (sometimes snowflakes) . if it's raining all the bike needs when i get where i'm going is some fresh chain lube and some silicone spray on the levers/pegs /etc . none of my bikes (89 cbr600f , 94 cbr600f2 , 03 cbr600rr ) have complained !! plus , with a decent rainsuit and waterproof gloves , riding in the wet can be fun !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts