Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at alarms now and I think I'm going to go with a Scorpio alarm. I can't afford comprehensive insurance on my bike seeing as it jumps from $450 a year for liability only to $1500 a year for comprehensive/liability, so I want to protect it as much as I can.

I'm torn between the rlink and the i900. I want the GPS/Text messaging features of the rlink, but I would also like the two-way remote from the i900.

If I get the i900, is there another GPS service that will send text messages and stuff like that similar to the rlink?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Why would you buy a brand new bike and not have full coverage? If you can't afford the insurance, can you afford to replace the bike when it gets stolen or totaled? Do you want to pay payments on a bike you no longer own?

An alarm is a deterrent, not a replacement for full coverage insurance.

Stupid move, bud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that I have a bad driving record. Actually the only thing I do have in it is a ticket from the state of New York for a bs reason, failure to obey a street sign (apparently HOV lanes there are bus only after the HOV hours).

I believe it's high because I'm only 24, single with no kids, and it's my first bike. I shopped around and the lowest I found for both comprehensive and liabilty was $1150 a year from progressive but I can't afford the extra 60 a month difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, I don't believe there is anything for the i900 like that.

Seriously though, I would get full coverage over an alarm. Bike alarms are easily circumvented, and you'd have to pay for any damages out of pocket even if the alarm spooked the thieves.

·
Registered
383 Posts
First off welcome to .net. second, I agree that buying a new bike without full coverage is stupid. Do a few searches for wrecks and thefts and you will see why you should have full coverage if you are financing a bile. Next, if you don't have state farm, get a quote...they have saved me a bundle and I am similar to you as far as age, driving record, and marital status. I pay $30 a month fully covered on my 07rr, but I realize other factors affect insurance rates. As far as the alarm goes, I have an rlink. Do a search and you'll find a thread where I cover must questions on it. In short, you cannot upgrade the r900 at a later date because its a whole differentain control module different from the rlink. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 way paging, but the rlink sends a text to you immediately following someone touching or getting to close to your bike. It also automatically arms and disarms itself when you get within a few feet with your remote. Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I believe it's high because I'm only 24, single with no kids, and it's my first bike. I shopped around and the lowest I found for both comprehensive and liabilty was $1150 a year from progressive but I can't afford the extra 60 a month difference.
But you could afford a brand new bike.

Your future financial success sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By 2 way paging, I mean a remote like the one the i900 has.

For instance, I would like to get the rlink system and be able to program a remote from the i900 system so that I have both the text message alerts as well as the remote with the lcd display. Not just the rfid remote that comes with the rlink.

Sorry if it sounds confusing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You can call Scorpio and ask for Wayne Gaylod. He is one of the techs that is most familiar with the rlink and should be able to answer your question. I am inclined to say no, it won't work b/c both alarms have different MCMs (brains), and it would like trying to install a windows only OS on a Mac.
However, I don't understand why you want the i900 remote so bad. It has a limited range of about 1.5 miles and is clunkier then the i1100 remote. The i1100 remote might not have a pretty little diagram showing which part of your bike has been struck, but honestly, who cares. If someone is jacking you bike, its doesn't do you any good to know which part of the bike was touched first. The rlink is cool b/c it has multiple alerts that it'll send you, including perimeter sensor, shock, tilt, battery and geofence. Normally, I won't check my bike if I get a perimeter alarm or a tilt alarm b/c it is normally just the rain, wind, or someone grazing the bike as they walk by. But, if I get multiple alarms then that is a strong indication that my **** is being jacked.
Additionally, the rlink works using GPS and the i900 uses radio waves (i believe), just further showing that the 2 devices are very different animals.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
As streetracer101 posted already, look into State Farm for insurance. Prior to getting insurance from them, I got quotes ranging from $1,500-$2,500 a year for the lowest full coverage. With State Farm I pay about $190ish for FULL COVERAGE.

Some have said that State Farm will not insure your bike unless you also have a car with them. Some have been successful in getting their bike insured without having an existing policy with them. So just call around and speak to different State Farm Agencies/Agents to get it worked out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Yea I'll call around and check with State Farm. As far as the security system goes, I guess you're right streetracer, I'll probably go with the rlink.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
the rlink is really nice...just keep in mind that you'll need to get the siren in addition to the alarm and that is another 60 bones....I'll try to get some pics posted up of mine sometime soon but working 60+ hrs a week is killing me

·
Registered
143 Posts
Why would you buy a brand new bike and not have full coverage? If you can't afford the insurance, can you afford to replace the bike when it gets stolen or totaled? Do you want to pay payments on a bike you no longer own?

An alarm is a deterrent, not a replacement for full coverage insurance.

Stupid move, bud.
Merci... my exact take on that thought!

Also, I just ripped my Scorpio alarm out of my CBR as it was more of a nuisance than help. Especially, given the fact after a week or so passes by and the alarm literally takes the longevity out of the battery strength. And, I would have to charge the battery time-after-time.... NO THANKS.

G/L champ.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree that buying a new bike without being able to afford full coverage is crazy, but I also realize that in the motorcycle community, many people make far dumber mistakes like riding without gear, buying bikes on credit cards, and financing the max and paying the minimum during dealer financing events. I i knew a guy that bought a new 2009 600rr and 2k worth of gear and then only paid interest on the loan for 2 years. I also knew another guy that bought a new bike right before getting out of the military (2 weeks before being released) and finianced the whole thing, despite having no job lined up. My point is, if this dude doesn't know by now that he might have made a mistake, then you probably won't be able to convince him otherwise, so might as well lay the subject to rest instead of persistently posting stuff like "dude, you're a dumbass" in a post that was looking for guidance. With that said, before dunmping thousands into your bike, do yourself a favor and make some damn principal payments so that you can one day afford full coverage.

To add to what BOYRACER has said, the rlink (or any alarm for that matter) will put mild drain on your battery, but if you ride once a week, you'll be fine. Anything over that might be a stretch, but I only ride on the weekends and the only time my battery died was when it rained here for like 2 weeks and I forgot to start it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts