Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I'm shifting the RR as I let the clutch lever out I hear some clicking coming from the transmission area of the bike...is this normal?

I let the clutch lever out as gradually as I can and usually give it a bit of gas as I'm rolling out, it particularly happens in the 1st->2nd gear transition. When upshifting from higher gears, like 2nd->... it doesn't occur.

It's like a "click" right before the gears mesh and everything engages, anytime I shift from 1st to second with more than 6 or 7g's on the tach
I hear the click, but it shifts cleanly otherwise

this happened to me on the ex500 as well so I'm guessing it's probably something wrong with my shifting style

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestions would be welcome :)

John

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always shift with the clutch :p

And apparently I wasn't pushing up hard enough on the shift lever - when I did, things became a lot smoother. Now I just give it a brush and release the clutch and I'm in the next gear. I am guessing this is how sportbike trannies are? WIth the ex500 if you tried nuding the shift lever you'd end up very frustrated after missing the shift ;)

-John

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got a noob question about motorcycle shifting. (I've never ridden the bike, only on the back.)

When you shift up or down, do you have to do multiple pulls (my only explanation for this would be like a sequential shifter in a rally car or something), or could you keep pulling the lever and go up or down multiple gears at a time? I'm afraid if it's the latter, I'd shift into a gear I wouldn't want. And from first to second, do you have to click it up twice to skip neutral?

Sorry for the noob questions...

Also, (nobody needs to answer this) how would you go about a clutchless shift in a 600rr? Do you need to "blip" the throttle to get it to match revs and stuff?

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
nuton2wheels said:
when I'm shifting the RR as I let the clutch lever out I hear some clicking coming from the transmission area of the bike...is this normal?

I let the clutch lever out as gradually as I can and usually give it a bit of gas as I'm rolling out, it particularly happens in the 1st->2nd gear transition. When upshifting from higher gears, like 2nd->... it doesn't occur.

It's like a "click" right before the gears mesh and everything engages, anytime I shift from 1st to second with more than 6 or 7g's on the tach
I hear the click, but it shifts cleanly otherwise

this happened to me on the ex500 as well so I'm guessing it's probably something wrong with my shifting style

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestions would be welcome :)

John
From 1 to 2 it's normal. I'm going to make your day though. When upshifting, you don't even need to clutch, just let off a bit on the throttle and kick her up a gear, smoothe as butter!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Mister E said:
I've got a noob question about motorcycle shifting. (I've never ridden the bike, only on the back.)
When you shift up or down, do you have to do multiple pulls (my only explanation for this would be like a sequential shifter in a rally car or something), or could you keep pulling the lever and go up or down multiple gears at a time? I'm afraid if it's the latter, I'd shift into a gear I wouldn't want. And from first to second, do you have to click it up twice to skip neutral?
Also, (nobody needs to answer this) how would you go about a clutchless shift in a 600rr? Do you need to "blip" the throttle to get it to match revs and stuff?
Since you are a noob, i'll just say this. TAKE A MSF COURSE. www.msf-usa.org

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mister E said:

Good for you for asking. No, you don't have to pull multiple times from 1st-2nd. As long as you get some good pressure on the shifter it will slide right in. And yes, if the clutch is disengaged you can move up or down through the gearbox without letting it out.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Also, keep in mind that when you shift from 1-2 you are pulling through neutral. When I am just putting around I can hear a few little clicks too, I assume it's just passing through neutral to 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts