Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was stolen about 8 months ago.

I called the police department with the VIN# as well as the RMV and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Now suppose they stole my bike and take it out of state. If they ran the vin at the DMV, what would it come back as? Are all of the DMV's linked?

·
Registered
387 Posts
But that would be the fault of the police department for not filing the proper paperwork.

I don't know if all DMV's are linked. My assumption is no. But when they run checks on vehicles involving title registration, this is when the issue would pop up because this is when one state's DMV would essentially talk to the former state's DMV.

But even if your bike was located in another state, that local DMV would require a bill of sale in order to release your ownership on the vehicle, before allowing the new "owner" to be listed on the title.

I'm not sure what questions you have involving vehicle registration, but hope what I said helps.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But that would be the fault of the police department for not filing the proper paperwork.

I don't know if all DMV's are linked. My assumption is no. But when they run checks on vehicles involving title registration, this is when the issue would pop up because this is when one state's DMV would essentially talk to the former state's DMV.

But even if your bike was located in another state, that local DMV would require a bill of sale in order to release your ownership on the vehicle, before allowing the new "owner" to be listed on the title.

I'm not sure what questions you have involving vehicle registration, but hope what I said helps.

bills of sale are easy to create though. Just write "bill of sale" at the top and each persons name along with the price.

what you said did help, so thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thieves RARELY steal a bike to ride it. Odds are, she was chopped up and sold piece by piece on eBay, Craigslist, or the like.

The VIN numbers on the frames are ground down and sold as track bike frames... since those never get titled there is little need to have a VIN on it.

If you live in California, it is HIGHLY common to have your bike purloined and smuggled to Mexico for sale or dismantled and parted out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts