Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first fall today and thankfully I was able to choose between gravel and low siding on the pavement or bringing the bike upright and going into the grass. I went into the grass at around 20 mph and ran into a huge opening in the ground where my bike flung me off and it basically stopped where it was after maybe sliding a few feet (on grassy surface) the bike did fall to the left side.

After getting back up and on, I was likely over thinking everything being so concerned about the bike that this may be a stupid question.

Are you supposed to be able to perform clutchless upshifts and downshifts at low RPMs?? I noticed this was happening and took me off guard.

I don't know how this scenario came about where I just now noticed this, but wanted to make sure this wasn't a biproduct of the accident, or if this is usual for this bike.

2011 CBR600RR

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
You can do them, it shouldnt be effortless though. You should feel a decent amount of resistance especially when downshifting. Clutchless downshifts are a not a good thing to be doing though.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
You can do them, it shouldnt be effortless though. You should feel a decent amount of resistance especially when downshifting. Clutchless downshifts are a not a good thing to be doing though.
I agree, even the manufacturer says to use a clutch when downshifting

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
:+1: you can do them.
but really slim how so, i always thought it was ok to do clutchless downshifts, since to me i thought you would do the same harm, if any, doing clutchless upshifts.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
:+1: you can do them.
but really slim how so, i always thought it was ok to do clutchless downshifts, since to me i thought you would do the same harm, if any, doing clutchless upshifts.
I think its more referring to the safety aspects of it. With our bike not having a slipper clutch the average nub shouldnt be racheting down 3 gears while pegging the throttle.

Im with you though, i dont suspect going down could do any more mechanical damage than going up, though i am no engineer...or mechanic.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I think its more referring to the safety aspects of it. With our bike not having a slipper clutch the average nub shouldnt be racheting down 3 gears while pegging the throttle.

Im with you though, i dont suspect going down could do any more mechanical damage than going up, though i am no engineer...or mechanic.
It's a LOT harder to match the rpm so there is a much higher chance of damaging the dogs. It can be done though, just takes a lot of practice and good timing of the throttle and shift.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically what happened is after the bike dropped, I rode it around at a constant speed of maybe 20 mph in a higher gear at constant RPMs. I noticed I was able to downshift without the clutch then.

I did it maybe 4-5 times or so and it seemed to be a seamless transition. It's not anything I will continue doing. I did it because I landed on the shift pedal and was just testing it out while riding and found out this would happen.

I hope I didn't mess anything up trying this.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Its fine, if the transition is smooth there is nothing wrong with doing it and not a hugely uncommon technique to use... the issue is getting the rpm right to make it smooth.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its fine, if the transition is smooth there is nothing wrong with doing it and not a hugely uncommon technique to use... the issue is getting the rpm right to make it smooth.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear as well. (if you were referring to the downshifts) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.