Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the weights on the rims matter a lot? a shop polished my rims, but didn't remember where they took the weights off....Should i spend the extra 15 bucks to get it balanced??

thanks

L

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
yes those weights were put in that certain part for a reason and putting it just anywhere could throw off the balance of the wheel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i never driven a bike without wheel wieghts but if they are anyhting like cars i would def. get them balanced...have you ever driven a car without balanced wheels?...now imagine that on only two wheels...alot of movement i would imagine

·
Registered
408 Posts
I change my own tires and I've put thousands of miles on my bike without balancing the tires. I've even raced on tires that weren't balanced with no ill effects.

·
Registered
856 Posts
welldrilleRR said:
I change my own tires and I've put thousands of miles on my bike without balancing the tires. I've even raced on tires that weren't balanced with no ill effects.
I've wondered about those weights.

My pops has changed tires on numerous bikes he has had ( old old old 250's. ) And mentoned that he never has had a problem with changing them by himself.

Can you just leave the weights on, and change the tires and then put the rims back on? Or do you have to take the weights off and rebalance them everytime you take the tire off? Which makes no sense....

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you want to leave the weights on, have them spin the rim without the tire mounted, and balance the rim to zero. This may or may not require any weight. Then go ahead and mount up your tires. I would NOT stick on any weights unless you balance the wheel/tire combo. You are better off not running any stick on weight if you can't have it balanced on a machine. You could just as easily put the weight on the wrong side and make it worse. I have run tires without balancing and have had no problem but for the extra 10 bucks or so I now always balance. just my 2 cents
Oh, and yes the imbalance is usually in the tire so they do need to be balanced every time you change to be perfect. Sometimes you can just rotate the tire and re-mount and it will throw it off. Always mark the tire/rim if you demount/remount the same tire

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you're going to balance the rim then you better put everthing on the rim to get a true balance - Tire and rotors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts