Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Year: 2008
Exhaust: 7733

I did read the DIYs on here (pretty decent) and the instructions with the Leo Vince (SUCK!)
DIY: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74778

I am left with a few questions:

Question #1:

Do you re-use the graphite gasket? There was no way the Leo Vince pipe would fit inside that gasket and still would fit around the cat.

I went w/o the gasket and found I have a big exhaust leak around the clamp even though the clamp is tightened down really really right. I am afraid to tighten it anymore.

I found this thread and it seems like it is right to leave it off?
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=136909

Question #2:

Did you re-use any of the heat shields?

I am particularly concerned about under the tail b/c if a passenger sits on the seat the bottom of the tail will make contact with the exhaust.

Question #3:

What the hell is this? It came in the box. No clue. Not in any part diagrams.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
#1 no, the gasket will not fit, nor should you use it. If you cant tighten the clamp enough you can use some exhaust liquid gasket on the inside of the slipon pipe to fill the gap.

#2 no. take them off. no need with a slip on and they are terribly ugly. you right leg may be a big warmer but not enough to want the heatshield back on. the muffler shouldnt get hot enough to do any damage.

#3 extra parts =D. Not used for the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good. i will have to go look at some liquid gasket for exhausts but at this point it is all on there and it would be a huge PITA to seal it properly.

LOL @ #3. That is what I figured. I had lots of extra parts when I was done.

The leo sounds sick.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
#1 - No.

#2 - No.

#3 - Don't remember seeing that particular piece with my 7733, if so, I probably put it back in the box/tossed it out.

FWIW - I tackled the same issue as you with a slight leak at the cat-to-upstream exhaust pipe (full details below):

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=200280

I addressed this exhaust leak by using a little bit of Permatex copper gasket maker (and a more "square" allen/hex wrench). The original wrench I was using had a "rounded" end, so it was somewhat slipping as I turned it in the LeoVince bolt at that particular connection.

Take a moment to re-check the end of your allen/hex wrench and make sure it's still square and "gripping" the bolt properly when you apply torque to it - if not, splurge on a new wrench or borrow a friend's hex/allen. You'll be glad about doing it right the first time and not dealing with an annoying exhaust leak.

G'luck !

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
If I recall correctly that extra part is for specific Euro models. Also depending on how you mount the clamp you can seal the exhaust without the need for a sealant. Cobra is right as well about having a good allen head to torque the clamp down.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Allen wrench is all good. I actually have a set of heads you attach to an actual wrench. All good condition. I have it on there really tight and was afraid of cracking the end of the cat personally.

I will go try some of that permatex rtv. I was tempted to cut up the graphite gastket and put it inbetween the clamp and outside of the pipe. Either way, looks like i am taking her back off.

I see some people have that little plastic guard back on there. I so don't see how. My pipe pretty much touches that upper "knob" thing the plastic shield hooks onto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
rtv in place of the gasket, i do not run any heat shield not sure on your mistery part

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah kitchen workroom...

that is actually snow outside. its cold!

I got some copper RTV and am going to put it on thursday and let it dry overnight... then ride!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea so that permatex copper gasket... only rated to 700F... I think that link pipe/cat get a LOT hotter than that.

I rode over to my buddies house all of about 5 miles away, parked, got off the bike, and tons of smoke was pouring off of that gasket. Now, either it was the gasket (smelt like burning rubber), or the oil burning off the new leo pipe, or the heat wrap i put on the exhaust burning in.

I think it was the gasket personally. I think i got some on the INSIDE of the pipe b/c all the way out the end of the exhaust tip were pieces of liquid orange gasket. It shot through the exhaust system.

The good news is, I kept riding and by the time I got home the smoke and pretty much stopped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts