Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am really new to bikes in general and I am used to learning alot of my stuff from forums like these. Thats how I learned to mod my WRX as well as my RSX. I was looking for a general FAQ of some sort that goes over basic parts of a bike as well as basic mods and what to look for generally. For example, at nasioc.com (subaru forum) a moderator named Unabomber wrote up a huge FAQ that really helps newbs get their start. I am sure there are alot of members here that are very knowledgeable and capable of writing something like this.

Secondly, the reason I thought of this was because I couldn't find out what the difference were between swingarm sliders and swingarm spools were.

Thanks lots for your time guys.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Check out the build threads, you can learn alot just by seeing what gets done that way. As far as people who are very knowledgable and helpful, there's always Moeman, chrisw, paul46rider and so many others. Good luck and safe riding!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I understand that. I just think that it would be a good idea to link all these FAQs and stuff together. That would be great. Also, can anyone answer the second question?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I'm not too sure if it's just different names for the same thing, but I know spools are a way for rear stands to pick up the bike. I'm pretty new to the sportbike world myself and haven't looked too far into what is what just yet. I'm sure you'll have plenty of answers in here soon, so keep checking back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Spools and sliders are the same thing. ACTUALLY, they ARE two different things but are pretty much one in the same

A swingarm spool is used for a rearstand. They are kind of like tabs that the stand grips to and uses to lift the bike

The spool aspect of it is when you crash, the spool/slider is meant to keep the swingarm off the ground to hopefully minimize damage. By looking at the pictures below, you can see how both would actually do a decent job as far as protection goes, whether one part was meant for it or not, they'll both keep do a decent job on swing arm protection. If you have the means to so and dont mind the way it looks and want ultimate protection, get both. I just wrecked my bike and I had spools but the swingarm still got scratched. Not nearly as bad as it would have bean without them but scratched nonetheless. Looking at it, I think having a slider like shown in the last picture would have prevented that

Here is a SPOOL

This is how they are used

Here is a "SLIDER" perse and you can see how you wouldnt be able to use it for rear stand purposes. Moreover, you can actually see the tab on the swingarm that a spool would mount to

Welcome to the site and the scene. Be careful out there man and keep it rubber side down. Try to wear gear too, like I said, I just went down and had my jacket, helmet, and everything but gloves on. I got pretty bad rash on just my hands and life severely sucked for a good couple of weeks. I woulda been REALLY phucked if I didnt have my jacket on. Dont be "that guy"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JBrown! So what I am getting from this is that spools work as 2 different things. For the rear stand prop up the bike, as well as for protection of the swingarm when an accident occurs. Sliders only do the latter?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh i forgot to ask, do either need any cutting to mount like the frame sliders do? Im pretty sure the swingarm sliders dont

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Oh i forgot to ask, do either need any cutting to mount like the frame sliders do? Im pretty sure the swingarm sliders dont
Neither should require cutting of anything to install. Just check to make sure you get the right size spools as the mounting bolt size is not universal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks JBrown! So what I am getting from this is that spools work as 2 different things. For the rear stand prop up the bike, as well as for protection of the swingarm when an accident occurs. Sliders only do the latter?
No problem man and yes, "sliders" are only for protection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts