Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the full Ti EVO system on my '06. F'in stoked, but I noticed there is a LOT less clearance for the oil filter.. I'm wondering if I will be able to thread it out the whole way or not without loosening the headers/system. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I'm using a PureOne PL14612 (the shorter Purolator). From what I recall it was almost exactly the same size as the OEM when I installed it, but I don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
All you need to do is remove the coolant resevoir bolt and youll have enough room to get to the oil filter. Thats what I do with my Arrow headers.

Btw, did you use new gaskets and torque down the header studs to 9ft/lbs? I hope so, this way you probably wont have any leaks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Arrow headers are not akrapovic headers.

To answer your question sir, no you will have to take out the middle two header pipes in order to get to the oil filter. Don't ask me why they did it like that, I have no idea. But I guess be thankful that you've only got to unhook springs.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,793 Posts
mine too, i have to remove the #3 & #4 header tubes to replace the oil filter, it's a PITA but i only get to do it every 10K kms which is when i change oil filters.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

To answer your question sir, no you will have to take out the middle two header pipes in order to get to the oil filter. Don't ask me why they did it like that, I have no idea. But I guess be thankful that you've only got to unhook springs.
This is what I was afraid of. But thanks for the input. I'm glad it's just the springs I have to monkey with.

Thanks again guys.

Oh BTW, is this not the best sounding exhaust system you've ever heard? Granted we're all partially biased, but good GOD I love this thing.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
thanks for the clarification on that...

So not even removing the coolant resevoir would give you room to take out the oil filter? wow, what a stupid design...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for the clarification on that...

So not even removing the coolant resevoir would give you room to take out the oil filter? wow, what a stupid design...
Yea, its not a matter of lateral accessability. The headers are so friggin close to the oil filter that there isn't enough room to unscrew it. I guess Akra just wanted to compact everything in there. But when I was putting the headers on I was like "there is no way I'm going to be able to thread this f'in oil filter off"..:banghead:
It's still a fuckin awesome exhaust. And I got it for an absolute steal.

And, sorry forgot to reply to this earlier. I torque'd to 9 ft lbs. But I kept the stock gaskets because they looked fine (no signs of "mushrooming" out).

Just saw your sig, how do you like your BMC? I'm thinking about dropping my K&N for one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What year bike? ChrisW said he doesn't have to do anything special for an oil change on his bike, and he has the Ti headers.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, one of the guys who responded has a 2004 titanium EVO. I have the same system but my bike is an '06. I have the "2005" system with the oval canister, not the 05/06 system with the hex canister. Part numbers are different, i had a hard time installing and researched the hell out of these exhausts.

·
Scarr Town RRider
31 Posts
ok heres a question, I have the race version for an 06 and its freakin tight for the filter....i just back the headers off, anyways my question for you is how did you get your lowers to fit back without seriously touching the lowers?? do you have a pic of your headers installed? Ive been riding around without lowers and its drivin me nuts.....contacted akra and they said that it must have been an install error

·
Registered
726 Posts
ok heres a question, I have the race version for an 06 and its freakin tight for the filter....i just back the headers off, anyways my question for you is how did you get your lowers to fit back without seriously touching the lowers?? do you have a pic of your headers installed? Ive been riding around without lowers and its drivin me nuts.....contacted akra and they said that it must have been an install error
nah bro, it's not an install error. it's a flaw in their design. i got the same problem. i had motosfanclub lowers installed and it melted where the headers touched. at first i thought it was the fitment of the fairings.

i decided to put my OEM lowers back on. and my OEM lowers are melted where it touches the header also. no way around it really. unless you wanna continue riding around without lowers.

·
Administrator
51,155 Posts
I have the Akrapovic Full Racing line system on Miss O'Seven and i change the oil filter
without any issues but i do use Honda Oem filters i never had after market filters ie i
would not know if after market filters will work or not

1 - 13 of 13 Posts