Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A person passes off duty cop on a double yellow line. (no passing zone) In your opinion, Is that worthy of a dangerous driving charge?

Dangerous operation of motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft
249. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates
(a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;
(Quote from the Criminal Code of Canada. Bill C-46 Section 249.(1) )

Thanks for any constructive input.

**Please refrain from posting your two cents unless you are knowledgeable in this area.

·
Politically Incorrect
124 Posts
in my opinion... that little section of the canadian criminal code issues a blanket statement of "if the officer deems your driving tactics unsafe it can warrent a dangerous driving charge."

number one that person passed a car in a no passing zone. number two... that person passed a police officer can interpret the law in such a way as it would be "dangerous to the public" to allow passing in a no passing zone.

this is a pretty subjective law but what i want to know is why pass in a no passing zone anyway ... that to me is just plain stupid ... and even in front of a cop... off duty or not they can still write you a ticket

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's only a minor offense because you believe it to be. There's a reason why there's a double-yellow and why it's a no passing zone. It is considered to be dangerous to pass in that area so by extension, any driver doing so is guilty of dangerous driving.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I suppose the true problem is the vague definition and open ended use of the term "dangerous driving".

I call it a minor offense because the actual charge of passing on a double yellow is a $172 fine. Not a (federal) criminal charge that has a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison.

·
Politically Incorrect
124 Posts
Yeah, I suppose the true problem is the vague definition and open ended use of the term "dangerous driving".

I call it a minor offense because the actual charge of passing on a double yellow is a $172 fine. Not a (federal) criminal charge that has a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison.
i call it very dangerous to cross a double yellow... double yellows were put in by people smarter than you and me and not only have degrees but have letters after their names... i think it is both arrogant and ignorant of you to ignore the fact that this practice of passing in a "no passing zone" is very dangerous... i also feel you are a very ignorant person for getting mad at the law for using a vague description that can be interpreted either lightly or harshly... again this law was made by people with letters after their names and law degrees...

</rant>

·
Registered
712 Posts
SO you basically were driving on the wrong side of the road, in the opposite direction?

how is that not dangerous driving?

think logically here...

however, crossing a double yellow that separates the carpool lane from the other lanes is ok :p

·
Registered
753 Posts
i call it very dangerous to cross a double yellow... double yellows were put in by people smarter than you and me and not only have degrees but have letters after their names... i think it is both arrogant and ignorant of you to ignore the fact that this practice of passing in a "no passing zone" is very dangerous... i also feel you are a very ignorant person for getting mad at the law for using a vague description that can be interpreted either lightly or harshly... again this law was made by people with letters after their names and law degrees...

</rant>
Yup, they are placed based on estimated passing times by cars and trucks. I often pass safely on the double yellow. Just because it is illegal doesn't alwys mean that it is unsafe. It's a judgement call and there is no way for us to judge whether it was unsafe from behind a keyboard.

Illegal? Yup. Unsafe? maybe, maybe not

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO you basically were driving on the wrong side of the road, in the opposite direction?

how is that not dangerous driving?

think logically here...

however, crossing a double yellow that separates the carpool lane from the other lanes is ok :p
You do that every time you pass on a single lane undivided highway. Think logically here.

·
Moto GSpizzle
7,778 Posts
You do that every time you pass on a single lane undivided highway. Think logically here.
youre asking to much from these keyboard ninjas!
c'mon ask something small and work your way up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts