Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to get flamed by anyone but do you guys with the high mileage engines 16,000+ get the service required by honda at the 16000 mark??.. I am at the point of getting to that service interval.. just wanted to know some opinions:cruising:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I wouldn't consider my bike "high mileage" like some of the members but I didn't get the service interval. They say go to the dealership for inspection for the valve clearance. If your bike starts to make a ticking noise from the engine then its your valve and get that situated at the appropriate time. For the time being, continue to ride your bike and have fun!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I wouldn't consider my bike "high mileage" like some of the members but I didn't get the service interval. They say go to the dealership for inspection for the valve clearance. If your bike starts to make a ticking noise from the engine then its your valve and get that situated at the appropriate time. For the time being, continue to ride your bike and have fun!
need not say more :D:+1:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Would someone mind describing the ticking sound (whether it happens while idling, riding etc, and how loud)? I am also getting close to the 16k mark and dont want to fork out $600 for the valve check if it isnt completely necessary.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I am almost at 22k miles and have not had the valves checked yet. I made it to 36k miles on my old Kawi 636 before getting them checked and they were still in spec.

I've heard of several members here being at 30+k miles and the valves still being right within spec.

The valves will actually start to tick less when the clearance is getting out of tolerance. That is when you need to worry. You should be able to hear the valves ticking upon normal operation.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Would someone mind describing the ticking sound (whether it happens while idling, riding etc, and how loud)? I am also getting close to the 16k mark and dont want to fork out $600 for the valve check if it isnt completely necessary.
I would reccomend that you have it done, there is a good reason honda say that it must be done at that point...

Have a look at the yellow line on this pic:

At the moment your on the right hand side of the "constant failure rate" section. You can rename the y axis "probability of failure" and the x axis "mileage".

Many people will be ok if they let the service interval lapse because it's the probability of failure that is increasing, which doesn't mean that it will definitely fail. That however doesn't make it the right way to go.

There are a few different maintenance methodologies you can look at:

Breakdown maintenance:- Wait until it breaks then fix it, this has the advantage of the longest service life however when the item breaks it can take other things with it and your bike can be out of action for quite some time. Given the failure of one item will cause the failure of other things it is readily apparent that this method can be quite expensive.

Preventative (or interval based) maintenance:- This is based on the curves in the picture above, what we are doing is changing items at a given interval to make sure you stay in the flat part of the curve, this ensures that failures are as unlikely as possible and that downtime is managed. The downside is that you may be replacing parts that are perfectly ok, or adjusting things where it is not particularly necessary it does still work out significantly cheaper that the breakdown maintenance method.

Condition based maintenance:- This is where something is only adjusted or replaced when the machine starts showing symptoms that it is wearing out, there are a bunch of different methods that can be used for condition monitoring and analysis that I wont go into but suffice to say that this method gives the advantages of the other two without the downsides and is the cheapest overall and as such is the preferred.

Honda use a combination of condition based and interval based maintenance, at a particular interval the condition of an item is checked for signs of premature failure, then if necessary it will be replaced, other things like your chain are maintained purely on an interval basis (for me every Friday arvo). This ensures that replacing expensive parts is not done until it is necessary but things are checked often enough to pick up premature failures.

So while your valves may be perfect, the reason they should be checked is that this is about the time premature failures may start to occur so it is a good idea to have it inspected cause the last thing you want is to drop a valve.

If your worried about the cost this is a job that someone with a reasonable mechanical aptitude can tackle by themselves without any great difficulty, there is a write up in the how to section if your interested. But IMO you are far better off having it done for no reason than finding out that you should have.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I am almost at 22k miles and have not had the valves checked yet. I made it to 36k miles on my old Kawi 636 before getting them checked and they were still in spec.

I've heard of several members here being at 30+k miles and the valves still being right within spec.

The valves will actually start to tick less when the clearance is getting out of tolerance. That is when you need to worry. You should be able to hear the valves ticking upon normal operation.
That will depend on if the valve clearance is increasing or decreasing, decreasing clearance will make the tick go away, increasing clearance will make it get louder. You will also notice a drop in power and a change in the exhaust note.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Holy $hit! You admitted you were wrong, well kind of but not really, and didn't get mad and start being an ass.:+1:
Dude, you have me confused with a certain banned member. lol

I'm probably wrong more than I'm right haha

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now I have a question......I got my valves done at 26,000 miles and now I am at 31,000. Is there a 30K service that I need to get done??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts