Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who are in school, which I assume there's probably a decent number of you, what is your experience with riding to school?

More specifically, this question is aimed at those who wear their gear religiously. I'm talking boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, whatever else. Do you guys walk around and sit in class all day with your gear on? I assume you take your jacket and gloves off... but what about your boots and pants? Do you bring a change of clothes for convenience(jeans and shoes)? If so, do you have enough room in your bag for that? Does your bag with a few books upset your balance while riding? Does it cause any class disruption ever?

This question could be answered by those who ride to work as well and don't have a choice but to change into their work attire.

At my school, almost every rider I see is not wearing sufficient protection. I assume it's because it's more convenient for them but that isn't really a worthy excuse to me.

Reason I ask is because the majority of my riding when I start will probably be to/from school and work. On another forum I read about someone having a 1 or 2 piece suit fitted slightly larger, wore it over his work clothes, and stored it in his office during the day.

If you don't wear your gear EVERYDAY and wear jeans or something sometimes, what alternatives are their for lower body protection? Is their padding or guards that fit snugly under jeans?

Thanks in advance.:tard:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ride to work in my gear and I bring a change of clothes. I don't find that wearing a backpack upsets my balance any. Although, sometimes the wind will catch me a little more going over the bridges. (I live in the Tampa Bay area, bridges EVERYWHERE)

I would rather have a little extra to have to store at work/school than go down and not have the propper gear on. Bikes and gear are replaceable, but YOU are not!

However, this is just me.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of backpack do you have? I'll be looking into buying a new one soon that could serve me well in all the mentioned areas. Currently I just use the same leather briefcase with a shoulder strap for school and work for convience. I haven't bought a backback in over 3 years.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I ride to work and always wear my gear... well, I wear jeans on my legs, but otherwise I wear everything. Im able to take off my jacket, gloves and helmet and stash em in my office though. My boots are Sidi Canyon Sympatex so they look decent enough to wear around the office. Sometimes I'll bring a backpack with a different shirt depending on what I have going on.

Might be different being at school and having to walk around with all that stuff from class to class.

Look at it this way though... all the girlies will know youre a biker when you have your stuff. :icon_supe

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride to work and always wear my gear... well, I wear jeans on my legs, but otherwise I wear everything. Im able to take off my jacket, gloves and helmet and stash em in my office though. My boots are Sidi Canyon Sympatex so they look decent enough to wear around the office. Sometimes I'll bring a backpack with a different shirt depending on what I have going on.

Might be different being at school and having to walk around with all that stuff from class to class.

Look at it this way though... all the girlies will know youre a biker when you have your stuff. :icon_supe

Thanks, this is kind of what I was expecting. It's alot easier to manage at work with a place to store your stuff but not the same situation at school.

I have an office job with a cubicle, so I'd have to change out of everything.

I'm not too worried with having to walk around with my gear on. If there is some alternative someone's found, I'd like to hear it. IDK, maybe someone has a nice teacher that will let them keep a change or clothes in their office or a friend who is at school at the same time.

Keep your stories coming, guys.:icon_pai:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thanks, this is kind of what I was expecting. It's alot easier to manage at work with a place to store your stuff but not the same situation at school.

I have an office job with a cubicle, so I'd have to change out of everything.

I'm not too worried with having to walk around with my gear on. If there is some alternative someone's found, I'd like to hear it. IDK, maybe someone has a nice teacher that will let them keep a change or clothes in their office or a friend who is at school at the same time.

Keep your stories coming, guys.:icon_pai:
Do they have lockers you can rent at your school? I think mine did when I was there. You could keep your jacket and gloves in there at least.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know, there aren't any lockers. Then again, I only walk to my classes and that's it. I've yet to be all around campus. I'm pretty sure there aren't lockers. That would be a great solution though...

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
I ride in to work on Fridays because I can wear jeans and since I don’t normally have any meetings at the end of the week, I don’t have to worry about the exhaust smell bothering anyone. I have my own office so there is no problem stashing my gear. I take my knee pads off but I walk around in the boots no problem. I have ridden with a backpack before and I don’t like it so I try to avoid it if I can. It was not comfortable at all. My daughter has a nice messenger book bag that looks like it might do ok when riding but I would stay away from the traditional ones depending on what I am hauling around. This is hers. I might try it on a commute one day when she is out of school.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i ride to work. i wear mesh overpants. luckily i can store stuff in my cubicle. do you have any friends with cars that you can toss your stuff in? sometimes i do that when i go out to a restaurant or shopping with someone. just don't let them leave with it!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
This is why I try to not to ride to school and work.. Boots, Helmets, Knee protector and gloves are just too much to carry around and people ask you too much fuking questions about bike when they don't know ****.. For example: Yo is that 1000cc or 600cc? I say its 600cc and they go " oh yea? I'm getting R1 next year.." I'm like.. oh....uh... ok... I just drive my car.. Listen to music...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I ride to work. I wear my Sidi boots with some khakis and a button down. I love the looks I get. I have a textile jacket, gauntlet gloves, boots and helmet. I put all my gear right on my desk. Hee hee.
Dude, forget about the inconvenience of having to stow all that stuff somewhere and remember how much better that is that getting road rash scrubbed down with a brillo pad in the ER!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yo is that 1000cc or 600cc? I say its 600cc and they go " oh yea? I'm getting R1 next year.."
I hate that!!!!! Its either that or a gixxer 1000. Dont know why but ive never heard a 1000rr. Just go with the car, a lot of times its just easier to do.

·
Track BOTM Winner 12/11
80 Posts
I drive my bike to school once. Had loads of 14 - 16 year olds hanging around the bike every break between the classes. No big deal but kinda got me nervous one day someone might couse the bike to fall over. Now i just use the bike when i need to visit school for one class or so. Easier the keep your eyes on. From the gear i dont use leather suit or boots when i have a short trip. I wear full gear only when im going cruising or at the track's. Other times i just get the gloaves, helmet, jacket and regular jeans. Sometimes when its colder i get the textile pants allso. And in school i just but my jacket in the wardrobe and carry the helmet whit me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys new here!!

This is what i do when i am at school, I am guessing your going to university right??

Well at my school we have a gym, obviously with locker etc, i usally just throw my jacket and gloves in there and grab them when i am about to leave problem solved. (obviously have a lock handy)

At my school you can also rent lockers for the year half or full ones, that way you can just store you clothes in there at carry around you helmet and look like a squid.

Hope this helps

P.S great forum guys

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dont have riding pants, but when I ride to school, my jacket and gloves and boots go in my locker, and I just leave my helmet on the table at the front of the class. The backpack never bothers me, but I guess you just need to try it and see how it feels. I leave a beater pair of shoes in my locker to change into, and it works out well... so much better than being caught in traffic with the car!
NICK

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
I ride to work in full gear ALL the time.

I have an Icon Squad back pack and I carry a change of clothes. I put my gear in my back-pack when I change to clothes. I have no problem with riding with a back-pack...the thing is basically glued to me.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Wear your gear and leave it all on the seat next to you in class.... :p

I ride the bike to work everyday weather permits. 70°+ all week, :biggrin:
I used to do FULL GEAR, it saved my butt when I went down, but now I don't wear it all because now my mindset is "Just get to work safely and be EXTRA cautious"
Now I just wear my leather jacket, short gloves, tourmaster textile pants, and my regular shoes.
I wear all of my work cloths underneath and strip off the gear after I get to work.
But I have a locker to put it in...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have Joe Rocket Steel Jeans:
http://www.joerocket.com/products/productJR.cfm?products_id=292

Joe Rocket Blaster Backpack:
http://www.joerocket.com/products/productJR.cfm?products_id=873

Sidi Doha Boots:
http://www.sidisport.com/eng/motorcycle/art_d.asp?ATp_ID=M02&Art_ID=MVDOHA

I like the steel jeans b/c they offer more protection than normal pants and they look 'normal' when you aren't on the bike. The backpack is awesome. The cell phone pocket even holds my Treo. And the Doha's work great on the bike and look great off it. I recommend all three highly. Of course I wear jacket, gloves, and a helmet.

I am thinking about adding a pair of AStars Airflow pants into the mix with shorts underneath for hot days. Then I can ditch the pants when I get to where I'm going. And, I've considered upgrading to actual race style boots after reading some of the accidents people have had. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I ride to work every day, and always wear gear.
Jacket, gloves, boots, and I can get away with wearing Icon superduty pants at work...which works fine since I live less than10 min from work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts