Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question:
Looking into getting a bike again. Wondering if you guys could have a look at this add and give me some advice on what to offer for the bike.

Bike is an 05 600rr which was laid down on the right side. Owner claims bike was laid down going around a corner doing 15km/hr (pics in add) and also the starter buttom was broken and now will not start. Happened right before storage and just wants to sell now. All lights still turn on when is key is turned on. Leaks no fluids and engine cases do not look damaged.

Seller seems like a younger guy without much knowledge and says wants to get out of debt for school. keep in mind im from saskatchewan and seems like bikes sell for more than the US.

Link : http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2005-Honda-CBR-600RR-W0QQAdIdZ178394369

Background: Previous bike 04 600 RR Bought as a total loss which mostly needed cosmetic work which i did myself.

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
If you were to go look at it.. Buy a starter switch and bring it with you. Hook it up, plug n play and see if it starts. Check for leaks ect, but doesn't look bad at all. How much is owed on the bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starter switch is listed at around 65 bucks which would be more up here in canada. Maybe can get it running with the one on there doesnt look to damaged.

Seller still owes $5500 on bike im told. But knows that is not a realistic price seeing the bike needs work.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If you can get it down to $4,500 or so then it's a good deal considering all the fixes that you need to do on it. Make sure the bike runs smooth, have him ride it or listen for any hissing noise or unusual noises.

Here are some good tips when buying a Used Bike. Lots of reading but I'm sure you don't want to blow away 5G on a non-op bike.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionTwo.htm

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

http://motorcycles.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_buy_a_used_motorcycle_buyers_guide

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/howtostartridin1/bb/buy_first_bike.htm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just my opinion, the bike doesn't look to be that bad of condition. Try to get the guy to definitely come down in price that the cost of replacing those damaged parts are the reason. But from the pics, the rash on the plastics and cowl area don't look as if the bike was being dogged when it dropped. Good idea to just still turning the bike on still as to get a sense of allot of things overall working. As for the starter part, it could just be the switch or something more like the startor or the relay, but I don't think so as those components are located on the opposite side of where the bike low slided. Good luck man.

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMO

It sounds like you are a novice motorcycle buyer by your post.

Buying a switch and then checking to see if it starts and fluids leaking is foolish.....you are basically rolling the dice.

This bike has been down, and to make matters worse, the starter switch doesn't work. Who knows what damage could've happened under the fairings or if there's another reason why the bike won't start.

Would you walk into a car dealership trying to buy a car that won't even start??? Oh, but wait a minute, let me run to the autoparts store to buy a starter and then come back!.....................ummmmmm..........does that really sound smart??????????????....................HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning signs:

- Downed Bike
- Bike won't start
- Young Rider

What's really bad is "Why didn't he fix it to start?" He should've atleast done that if he really wanted to get rid of it.

Your safest and best bet is to get a guaranteed price on it. Then tell the kid that you will only purchase the bike until after you bring it to a ceritified motorcycle shop to fix it and for a maintainance/safety check.

Never trust the seller, be safe, protect yourself and your bank account.

·
Registered
327 Posts
IMO

It sounds like you are a novice motorcycle buyer by your post.

Buying a switch and then checking to see if it starts and fluids leaking is foolish.....you are basically rolling the dice.

This bike has been down, and to make matters worse, the starter switch doesn't work. Who knows what damage could've happened under the fairings or if there's another reason why the bike won't start.

Would you walk into a car dealership trying to buy a car that won't even start??? Oh, but wait a minute, let me run to the autoparts store to buy a starter and then come back!.....................ummmmmm..........does that really sound smart??????????????....................HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning signs:

- Downed Bike
- Bike won't start
- Young Rider

What's really bad is "Why didn't he fix it to start?" He should've atleast done that if he really wanted to get rid of it.

Your safest and best bet is to get a guaranteed price on it. Then tell the kid that you will only purchase the bike until after you bring it to a ceritified motorcycle shop to fix it and for a maintainance/safety check.

Never trust the seller, be safe, protect yourself and your bank account.
:+1:

Id buy it for a stunt bike but thats only cause id take the fairings off >.<

and 5500 for an 04 lmao seriously how the hell does this kid owe that much still. I owe 4 grand on my 09. I wouldnt give him more then 3500, because for 4500 you can get a 05 to maybe a 07. And if ur considering taking over payments just buy a newer bike you can get a nice one for 5500

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
:+1:

Id buy it for a stunt bike but thats only cause id take the fairings off >.<

and 5500 for an 04 lmao seriously how the hell does this kid owe that much still. I owe 4 grand on my 09. I wouldnt give him more then 3500, because for 4500 you can get a 05 to maybe a 07. And if ur considering taking over payments just buy a newer bike you can get a nice one for 5500
Try actually reading the posts..... the bike IS an 05.... $4500 CDN would be a good deal.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Try actually reading the posts..... the bike IS an 05.... $4500 CDN would be a good deal.
My bad dude i did read the post and look at the bike why would i post something WITHOUT READING IT! Dunno why but i thought i saw 04 **** happens sometimes. But i still wouldnt pay 4500 for a rashed up 5 year old bike.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My bad dude i did read the post and look at the bike why would i post something WITHOUT READING IT! Dunno why but i thought i saw 04 **** happens sometimes. But i still wouldnt pay 4500 for a rashed up 5 year old bike.
NP dude, just bustin your balls a bit... LOL .... and don't forget, that's $4500 in CDN which is not a bad deal if its only a small rash.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Make him, make it start

would suck to buy a bike with a dead bullet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replys.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in the area and i am fairly new to sportbikes but not bikes in general.

I talked again to the seller and he suggested a price of $3500. Said he has a bank letter showing no liens. I did a VIn search and shows no claim history.
I think this sounds like a fair price around here. A mint bike for this year and mileage is worth $6500 to give you americans an idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dont buy it 5000 for a wrecked bike wow i got mine for 5300 and the same year excelent conditioun and only 4800 miles you can do better i hope

1 - 16 of 16 Posts