Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I attend a track school before I start going out to the tracks on my own? I'm a total newb to the track scene and am very interested but I have no idea what to expect. All I know is:

1) I need $$$ for tires
2) Some race fairings would be a good idea
3) I need a one piece suit

Is there a time and place on the track for a newbie like me or do I need more experience? I've only been riding for about a year but I've been riding the local twisties almost every weekend now and am starting to get curious about how I would fair on a track.

Also, any recommendations for the So Cal area? I keep hearing about Willow Springs...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Call me... and I can help you answer many of your questions (sames ones I had too)... over the phone.

I'll be happy to point you in a good direction.

Cheers... Nick - MRI

Lee600RR said:
Should I attend a track school before I start going out to the tracks on my own? I'm a total newb to the track scene and am very interested but I have no idea what to expect. All I know is:

1) I need $$$ for tires

Is there a time and place on the track for a newbie like me or do I need more experience? I've only been riding for about a year but I've been riding the local twisties almost every weekend now and am starting to get curious about how I would fair on a track.

Also, any recommendations for the So Cal area? I keep hearing about Willow Springs...

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Lee600RR said:

1) I need $$$ for tires

I hear ya man..in the same boat...this is an expensive sport to get started in!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
1) Don't ever try to save $ on tires... It's your @$$ out there, and $350 you save by not buying a new set of tires might equal into a couple of grand you'd have to spend fixing the bike after a lowside etc...

2) Race fairing are lighter, and easy to fix if needed. Good investment, even if it's just for trackdays!

3) 1-piece or 2-piece, it doesn't matter, but again, its your @$$ out there, so get a good quality suit that you're comfortable in.

4) Most important of all, be safe and have fun! Track riding will make you a better street rider (if you decide to even get back on the street, very addictive!)

·
Registered
242 Posts
No need to spend a lot of $$$ on tires right now. You can pick up a set of Diablo Corsa's that will be perfect for your situation. All the guys I've talked to LOVE them. They last alot longer than full track tires and they're good on the road too. If you have fresh tires on now, you can even do your first few days on them.

Race fairings are great if you have money to burn or a track only bike. But at this point don't worry about that.

1 pc is great, but if you have a 2 pc, that's fine also. Nice can definitely hook you up there.

Here's what's important to know. You're new to the track, so the first time can be a bit intimidating. Just just relax and ride at a pace that's comfortable to you. Don't worry about going fast. There's no winner at the end of the day, so just have fun. Start slow. Use the first few sessions to just learn the track. You'll pick up speed as the day goes on, and by the last session you'll be booking your next day. Just go have fun and don't worry about keeping up. Most people at these events are very friendly too. Now get out there! :D

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
YO LEE,
I feel ya man, im in the same situation... im trying to set up a track day for me but dont know hwo to go about it... a couple of peeps i know are kinda helping me out... but any of you track gurus out there, HELP A COUPLE OF BROTHAS OUT.

well first thing im doing is...
1. getting me my gear - 1 piece, boots, new gloves
2. tires
3. some beat up fairings/track plastix
4. some type of track schooling (either from pros or just from peeps who do track alot)

hmmm... im estimating to spend over a "G" for my first "track day"...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Topshelf said:
No need to spend a lot of $$$ on tires right now. You can pick up a set of Diablo Corsa's that will be perfect for your situation. All the guys I've talked to LOVE them. They last alot longer than full track tires and they're good on the road too. If you have fresh tires on now, you can even do your first few days on them.
You're right about that... I did my first 3 trackdays on D208s, no complaints, but as you get better/faster, move up to DOT Race tires... I was able to run my rennsports at Jennings for 4 trackdays (without flipping them either) during the summer, and they're still good for (dry) street riding.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well that's about right man. Getting started is expensive. Buy a nice leather suit now and save money and your ass later. Call Nick, he'll help you out there.

Again, for someone starting out, a good street tire is fine. As you get a bit better, move up to the Diablo Corsa's. If you get better then them, then you don't need our advice anymore. :D

Just ride with your stock fairings. You'll be (should be) taking it easy so worry more about the track and your riding. I'm still using stock fairing and this is my 3rd year on the track.

Read 2 books before you go. Twist of the Wrist 2 and Sport Riding Techniques. The second is easier to undersand.

Other than that...RELAX GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1) Don't ever try to save $ on tires... It's your @$$ out there, and $350 you save by not buying a new set of tires might equal into a couple of grand you'd have to spend fixing the bike after a lowside etc...
**** :!: :roll: lol

Anyhow, I recommend something different. I recommend going to a well organized track day with 1 control rider for every 3 or 4 new riders. I think you should rent a leather suit you first time as well as use street tires.

No point in blowing money on something you have not tried. I know plenty of guys who wasted money buying leathers while I rented. After two times, I learned what I liked in a suit and purchased accordingly. These guys ended up buying another suit the next year because they went off of what they 'thought' they knew.

As far as tires go... Your first track day all you are doing is getting aquainted with properly riding your bike and improving your skill. Your stock bike is better than you on your first track day. Don't believe you need trick equipment, you bike is trick in stock form. Learn your limits of your bike in stock trim. You will be a better street rider for it.

As for race trim... Ride with in your limits and nothing will happen to your stock fairings. Race fairings are good when you decide you want to go to the next level and start exploring new limits.

Most importantly, have fun.

·
Registered
336 Posts
hondaf4iguy said:
d**k :!: :roll: lol
LOL
Didn't intend that for ya bud.... hahaha
I had already forgotten about that incident... at least you and the bike were OK :thumbup: BTW... weren't you on Diablos when that hapenned?

BTW... Gonna be callin ya for some pointers when I make it to VIR in May :D

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Sounds good. Let me know when you will be there and I may even be nice enough to play Pit bitch. Also, I am going to be enjoying the Daytona races with a buddy of mine (Steve Keener) in Northern Virginia. He runs a 1:36 on an SV650. He knows it a little bit better than I do. I can put you in touch if interested.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
BTW... weren't you on Diablos when that hapenned?
Yep. But after enough time to lick my wounds, I have decided too many variable were involved in those wrecks. I was testing a new geometry, on a new track, with a new tire compound, etc... I am no longer cursing the tires like I was before. However, I am apprehensive about remounting them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what about this.....go sign up for a FREE Intro beginners class with Nesba.com. Go to their website and signup for their schedule dates. very limited. in fact, you don't need a suit but a jacket to ride the free 2, 20 minute session. Thast it! control riders everywhere for the beginners. They will help you in anyway possible to answer any question. There you could see first hand what the regulars are doing at teh track. Thast how i learned. Once your comfortable with what you are expected to do, you could ask teh most friendliest riders onteh track to help you with details. not all are nice but most of them are ! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,

Another newbie here. I am also wanting to go to my first track day maybe in April at either Talladega or Barber. By April I might have about 4000 miles on my original tires. Would I need a new set of tires? How do they judge if they are good enough to pass tech.

Dave
"FedExGuy"

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
SexfreakR6, glad it worked for you, but it is not what I would ever recommend. Renting leathers is a small price to pay for safety. NESBA also does not have the greatest reputation. Especially since it 'appears' on of their control riders took someone out not too long ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
FedEx: If you have 4000 miles on your tires I'd definately get some new tires. I dont think I've ever gotten a set of tires to even last that long. Most tracks say like 90% tread but its always better safe than sorry. Usually they'll have someone there selling tires anyhow and install em for free/cheap. Make sure you check with the group setting up the event. Remember if you you street tires that they are going to get a lot hotter than they do on the street so they're not going to have the same feel and grip. I always use race compound tires.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
hondaf4iguy said:
d**k :!: :roll: lol

Anyhow, I recommend something different. I recommend going to a well organized track day with 1 control rider for every 3 or 4 new riders. I think you should rent a leather suit you first time as well as use street tires.

No point in blowing money on something you have not tried. I know plenty of guys who wasted money buying leathers while I rented. After two times, I learned what I liked in a suit and purchased accordingly. These guys ended up buying another suit the next year because they went off of what they 'thought' they knew.

As far as tires go... Your first track day all you are doing is getting aquainted with properly riding your bike and improving your skill. Your stock bike is better than you on your first track day. Don't believe you need trick equipment, you bike is trick in stock form. Learn your limits of your bike in stock trim. You will be a better street rider for it.

As for race trim... Ride with in your limits and nothing will happen to your stock fairings. Race fairings are good when you decide you want to go to the next level and start exploring new limits.

Most importantly, have fun.
that's a good point about the leathers...
do they rent them at VIR cause that is where most of my track day's are going to be at...

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
do they rent them at VIR cause that is where most of my track day's are going to be at...
Cornerspeed and Team Promotion both rent leathers. I am assuming you would be going with one of these two groups. Cornerspeed has a great beginner programs. Lots of class time and control riders. TPM seems to be a little less structured, but still a good safe time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well let me add 2 more cents here. I've seen guys do the intro class in jeans and a jacket. There is NO WAY IN HELL I'd be out on a track without full leathers on. I don't care what level or how many guys. No way! Rent some leathers. Alot of these places rent them to you if needed, and I know kneedraggers rents them too. It's worth it.

4k on your street tires? That's a tough call. I'm sure at the intro speed you'll be fine, but I'm guessing they have to be somewhat squared off now unless you do most canyon carving. And if that's true, you need new tires. What kind are they? You planning on getting new ones soon anyway? If you are, I'd get them before the track day and make sure there is atleast about 100 miles on them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts