Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all as you prob know Im trying to buy a 2007 R6. First off I have to get in January bc I turn 21 in december and Rider will be giving me cheaper insurance rate when I turn 21. Going with that Im trying to save up money for the bike but still going with a Credit Union to purchase it. A couple of things I wanted to ask you older more knowledgeable guys.

If I go through a credit union is there a point in a down payment? Can I use the down payment so that I dont need to take as much money from the union and thus save on interest by putting it towards my cc debt? Or should I spend that money to reduce my cc payment and maybe get better interest?

I have close to 1g in payments on my credit card; the person I talked to said they take a look at credit and the amnt of difference btwn how much I owe to what I use or something like that (is 1g considered a lot? prob so...) Basically I can either try and save close to 2g's before Jan to maybe bring the bike down to 5 g's or just pay around 7g's OTD and just get the check from the credit union.

Going with that if I wait till Feb I can def save the 2g's but think the bikes will be sold by then? Or if not sold do they/can they go back up in price since the riding season is technically coming back? I never thought about that possibility. I figure their selling them cheaper bc of 08's coming in and winter season but if its nicer out do they sell them higher again? Sorry if this is really confusing. If need be I can try and fix this... Thanks in advance though!!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
i would not get a new bike if i were you..

if this is going to be your first bike, i can guarantee that you will drop it. everyone have been there, done that.

I will buy a used bike that have low mileage, learn from it and get better first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know and am willing to accept the fact that it can and will drop... Unfortunately Id rather that happen and know the history and condition of the bike for myself than go out and get something that may be in worse condition then mentioned... I mean I've thought of both ways but Id rather go with the way I already stated. But thanks for stating I feel the same way...

Oh yea just to give some background I just got my license this past Oct. and took the MSF course to obtain it so I have basic knowledge not saying Im an expert or anything. Also I plan on taking it slow no need to be doing any crazy stuff and I know it doesnt take a crazy person to drop a bike or crash it but I would just prefer new. Its always been a personality of mine to get new and not used. Im not spoiled either I worked for all my things since I was 16 so Im willing to bite my tongue if things do go wrong... Lets just pray that they dont =)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have sliders on before you leave the lot and get insurance quote on the bike before you purchase (full coverage will be needed with financing). i would also recommend paying off all your debt before going into a big debt like this. Debts dont go down when you're young, it keeps going up because you will end up modding ur bike or buying stuff you need.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i completely understand the desire to get something new, especially a motorbike...they are so prone to crashes and abuse, it's not hard to end up with something crappy.

that said, a new r6 is just about the worst new, beginner bike you can buy.

it's not a matter of maturity...you sound like a pretty bright guy and have thought this through.

you understand that a no-speed or slow-speed drop can total your bike, right? with most of the bike paid for on loan, it's easy to end up owing more on it than it's worth, or worse yet, making payments for the next five years on something you can't ride. you're getting full insurance coverage, right? comp/collision included?

the r6 has a very, very pronounced power band...meaning the bike is weak up 'till at least 10,000 rpms, and then it comes on STRONG. not ideal for a beginner, at all. once you get into the power band, high sides, low sides, accidental wheelies - they are all an errant quarter-turn of the throttle away

i think you have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with riding. is it a status symbol? something fun for occasional rides? or do you want to become an experienced, fast, safe, life-long rider?

maybe you won't crash or drop it - maybe you do have the self control to not push too far. but i can guarantee you that you WILL learn slower on an r6 than you will on any number of other bikes (ninja 250, sv650, even an early 90's supersport, f2, f3, fz600).

improving is about safely finding your limits, then deliberately and, in small increments, pushing past those limits.

doing that on an r6 is next to impossible - especially with the reality that an accident is potentially financially devastating.

it's a race-replica bike, made to receive precise rider inputs - and it's terribly unforgiving.

they re-designed the ninja 250 this year - better looks, 17'' rims (so good rubber is finally an option). sv650's can be had for screamin' deals OTD. these both have a lot more wiggle-room when it comes to imprecise rider inputs, and are a lot more forgiving.

a lot of people are going to chime in that 'they started on a new 600rr, and they did fine,' so go for it.

while they might be fine, they aren't learning as fast as they could have...and since the 1st six months are the most dangerous of your entire riding career, learning faster might just save your life.

best of luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I checked with Rider before I even looked at bikes they quoted me at 950 Full coverage when I turn 21 thats why Im waiting till Jan. Before they wanted 1412 so why not wait a couple months to save 400 bucks.

Side note but what should I look at when dealing with insurance? I know Im getting full coverage but are there like diff numbers for full coverage or is it the same throughout the policy? Anything to specifically ask so that I dont get screwed I dont know much about that... Plus their the only insurance group I asked, Im from NJ maybe I should shop around...

Yea I def plan on buying sliders, I already have a helmet and leather jacket I just need gloves my gf is going to get that for me for my bday =) But yea I have to wait on mods for a while not that I mind... Just sliders for now...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey ianian28 I greatly appreciate your and everyone elses replies. They were quick and very truthful from your own experiences which is all I could ask for. And in regards to your insurance question I do have full coverage but to be honest Im not sure what that means or entails (so if you or anyone else could explain it in more detail I would really appreciate it). Im sure Rider wouldnt want to screw me over since they are more geared towards motorcycle riders.

And in regards to what I expect out of the bike its not for show or gloat. Ever since my MSF course just the feeling of getting on a bike was the freedom that only us riders could ever experience. Thats what I enjoy, and to one day hit the twisties is what I want out of getting this bike. To ride with my friend who got into bikes bc of me I want to go riding with him (no homo).

I do realize that a dropped bike could possibly total it, so I was going to ask you about GAP insurance?!? Thats supposed to pay of the loan if your bike gets stolen or totaled am I right or wrong? I briefly read about it but not sure.

I prob will stick with the R6 bc I had my mind set on a 600 although I know I should start lower Im being stubborn forgive me lol. But I really do plan on taking it slow and safe even though sometimes its not always in our hands, I just hope to ride safe and get out of the bike what they were meant to do. Allow us to express ourselves through passion and speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone is gonna tell not to get a ss bike as your first bike, but it is really up to the rider. Acting stupid and pushing the bike to limit on public road is stupid, get a ss as your first bike is not, I got a 06 r1 for my first bike, and I'm perfectly fine. It's about self control, and taking easy until you learn your bike.

o yes invest in a good stunt cage, well worth it

·
Registered
49 Posts
insurance can be tricky. yes, gap should pay the difference between the worth of the bike and the loan amount should it become wrecked.

EDIT: to be clear, gap pays the difference between your insurance payout and what's left on the bike. if you total it, and it's deemed to be worth $8000, your insurance company might give you something in the $6500 range. if you still owe $9500 on it, gap will give you $3000 to make up the difference.

what are the deductibles for comp/collision they quoted you? i would verify by phone that theft coverage is part of comp (it, by definition, should be - but just for peace of mine, make them say it out loud).

if you also have a car, and a spotless driving record, consider calling state farm. if you insure both through them, they'll cut you a great deal. i have full coverage, lowest deductible ($500) and it costs me about $320/year. i'm 24. they charge only on the engine displacement - so 600 riders get a huge break. they don't care it's a race bike (most other companies tack on a huge extra charge for anything with 'r' in the title).

also, i'll make one last plea for getting a used ninja 250 or SV. it's a GREAT time to buy used (prices fall at least 20% in the winter) and, especially with the ninja's, there's next-to-no depreciation...there's always a new rider who wants a beginner bike.

the fastest guys i know put 10,000+ miles on smaller equipment, learned really quickly, then stepped up.

bottom line: it's impossible to use a modern supersport to the edge of its abilities on public streets. hell, i know a lot of racers...and only a few of them can use their 600's to their full potential on the track.

this time last year, people were shelling out $10500 + for their new 600rr's. try getting more than $7500 used today...depreciation is a bitch.

as for your original credit question, i don't quite get it. what does your credit card have to do with it? if you're going through a credit union, all they care about is your credit score...owing $1000 on another card shouldn't affect anything.

good luck! let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
insurance can be tricky. yes, gap should pay the difference between the worth of the bike and the loan amount should it become wrecked.

EDIT: to be clear, gap pays the difference between your insurance payout and what's left on the bike. if you total it, and it's deemed to be worth $8000, your insurance company might give you something in the $6500 range. if you still owe $9500 on it, gap will give you $3000 to make up the difference.

what are the deductibles for comp/collision they quoted you? i would verify by phone that theft coverage is part of comp (it, by definition, should be - but just for peace of mine, make them say it out loud).

if you also have a car, and a spotless driving record, consider calling state farm. if you insure both through them, they'll cut you a great deal. i have full coverage, lowest deductible ($500) and it costs me about $320/year. i'm 24. they charge only on the engine displacement - so 600 riders get a huge break. they don't care it's a race bike (most other companies tack on a huge extra charge for anything with 'r' in the title).

also, i'll make one last plea for getting a used ninja 250 or SV. it's a GREAT time to buy used (prices fall at least 20% in the winter) and, especially with the ninja's, there's next-to-no depreciation...there's always a new rider who wants a beginner bike.

the fastest guys i know put 10,000+ miles on smaller equipment, learned really quickly, then stepped up.

bottom line: it's impossible to use a modern supersport to the edge of its abilities on public streets. hell, i know a lot of racers...and only a few of them can use their 600's to their full potential on the track.

this time last year, people were shelling out $10500 + for their new 600rr's. try getting more than $7500 used today...depreciation is a bitch.

as for your original credit question, i don't quite get it. what does your credit card have to do with it? if you're going through a credit union, all they care about is your credit score...owing $1000 on another card shouldn't affect anything.

good luck! let us know how it turns out.
Hey thanks again for the input I really value your ability to look out for others especially new riders such as myself. I cant speak on behalf of others but Im glad ppl like yourself are here to help and educate new riders instead of bashing on then like some ppl do on other forums that I have been to.

I also figured it was only credit score that the credit union looked at but the lady I talked to on the phone said otherwise, but who knows maybe she was talking out of her butt or something Ill call tomorrow.

As for the insurance what are some decent numbers for comp and collision I am not too sure again since I am new to this sorry for the frustration lol... Also I do not have a car so State Farm might be out of the question I would only be looking to insure the bike itself. If you could just state what you would look for from insurance and what numbers would be decent (in terms of deductible and w/e else you feel is impt) if you were to go for one. That might just paint me a better picture and make it easier to relate to.

Thanks again and I hope to bring home good news to you guys when January hits. Also no one seemed to answer my last paragraph in my first post so Ill try one last time. Since its winter the prices are going down on the 07's and thats the year I want regardless of w/e only bc its cheaper. But if I wait in Feb is there a chance of them being sold out or going up in price since the weather should be getting better thus riding season coming back? Should I just get it in Jan if I am able to?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I'm gonna try one more time. Get a used bike. Really. Your concerns about the history of the bike are somewhat valid. However, bikes are pretty much indestructible these days, and you can tell a lot by talking to the seller and looking at the bike. Ask him, "How does it wheelie?" If he says, "Awesome, dude!" say thanks and move on.

Don't get a supersport. Really. If you absolutely, positively CANNOT be seen on a 500, get a used SV-650. They rock, and they're cheap. I get my ass handed to me all the time at the track by guys on SV-650s.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
get your self a the r6 and save youself time and money, after 1 or 2 months down the road, you are gonna kick yourself in the head, as why you didn't just get the supersport in the first place. 650 are fugly as hell believe me I got one of those too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts