Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I live in Arizona.

Person selling bike is a person I trust, so these are the facts.

Bike was totaled by insurance, wrecked all plastics, no frame/fork damage of any kind.

He will build bike back up paint any color (black) and I am asking him to put on frame sliders.

Bike will then get a level 3 inspection to be re titled as salvage restored title, (must be good as new to get this)

06 CBR 600RR 9k miles
asking 5k

He is a dealer but think he is making very minimal money at 5k

What do you guys think? is this a good deal? I was thinking at 5k out the door and see if he would throw in a helmet and jacket.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
i don't know how well they can repair stuff that was broken, but in any case i would stay away and maybe look at something used around that price that was never damaged or a new bike.... i went new for didn't want the stress of getting someone else's problems and being on 2 wheels i rather think my bike is in top shape.... welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
5k out the door, with helmet and jacket, and a guarantee that if there is a problem with the lvl 3 inspection (performed by an independent, not dealer, mechanic) that he will immediately fix whatever is needed.

For that, which is almost identical to yours, I'd say 5 is ok, thats where my head would be, up to 5.5 maybe.

Edit: Kali is right though, its hard when it comes to rebuilt anything, including bikes, if you can find a used one you like instead, thats a better idea.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You could get a bike without all the hassle for that amount, I wouldn't buy it, but thats me, I sold my 04 in mint mint shape with tons of bolt ons and lots of extras for 5....clean title no hassle, its up to you though, just double check on those forks, subframe, rearsets( pass also) triple and swingarm....

Goodluck, hope you get a bike soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys,

Kali, no repairing, I misspoke, he is getting all new plastics. Nothing under the plastics needed to be repaired other than one bracket and an air intake piece.

As for used one for that price, I have looked and they are going for anywhere between 6500-7500 with same or more mileage.

Remember this is AZ, 12 month riding season, we dont normally see any movement in price range from what I have been looking at, I could be wrong though, AZ riders help me with this?

The level 3 inspection is done by the state of AZ, completly independent and unbiased so I will know for sure its back to 100%.

I looked at the bike stripped down and looks like it is ready for plastics, nothing else is damaged (rear sets etc)

The guy let me know if I have any problems with it I could bring it back and he would take care of it.

This is a person I trust so I know that he will not try to hide anything from me. He said he will get more 600rr's in, but since this one had minimal damage it would be worth it to buy with restored title, given the price.

keep those opinions coming.

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
You could get a bike without all the hassle for that amount, I wouldn't buy it, but thats me, I sold my 04 in mint mint shape with tons of bolt ons and lots of extras for 5....clean title no hassle, its up to you though, just double check on those forks, subframe, rearsets( pass also) triple and swingarm....

Goodluck, hope you get a bike soon.
that doesnt make sense? what are you trying to say? first in mi vs az is totally different pricing (michigan economy blows goats from behind, and arizona is 12 month riding season), second selling a bike with mods means nothing nobody pays for mods you should have parted your bike out. third its an 04, 03-04 go for less than 05-06s fact.

it seems like a pretty legit deal to me as long as everything is back in working order and no frame damage, plenty of guys rock salvage titles on this site. plus a chance to fix the few things that need replacing and getting aftermarket parts now instead of having a stock bike buying aftermarket parts on your own dollar, so saving money in the long run... make sense to me

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
That sounds like a crappy deal to me. Forget the status of the bike now, and he's going to do this and do that.... who cares. When its all said and done you're going to be buying a 2 yr old bike with 9000 miles (that's a lot) with a salvage title for $5000. That sounds high to me, especially for a wrecked bike. Don't believe anyone that tells you that all the damage is cosmetic and that the frame/forks/swingarm are straight unless they've had it measured professionally.

I'd rather put my money towards a bike that's not been wrecked. You could probably find an 05 with fewer miles for the same price that doesn't have the crash history that this one has.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seriously?

Trust me, if I saw the same bike with a clear title for the same price and less mileage I would buy it...... I am not an idiot! The same bike with more miles (12k) and clear title is going for 7k.

And when I said there was no frame damage/swingarm damage, that is because he did have it measured, and yes I saw the report.

More input is appreciated, unless you are going to tell me to look for the same exact bike but with a clear title for 4500.00....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either that or I could look for the same bike, same year, less miles, clear title for the same price.......

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
LOL - some ppl just can't play nice...
don't worry about it and just take in the comments that help you with your decision :icon_lol: good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for all the replys,

Kali, no repairing, I misspoke, he is getting all new plastics. Nothing under the plastics needed to be repaired other than one bracket and an air intake piece.

As for used one for that price, I have looked and they are going for anywhere between 6500-7500 with same or more mileage.

Remember this is AZ, 12 month riding season, we dont normally see any movement in price range from what I have been looking at, I could be wrong though, AZ riders help me with this?

The level 3 inspection is done by the state of AZ, completly independent and unbiased so I will know for sure its back to 100%.

I looked at the bike stripped down and looks like it is ready for plastics, nothing else is damaged (rear sets etc)

The guy let me know if I have any problems with it I could bring it back and he would take care of it.

This is a person I trust so I know that he will not try to hide anything from me. He said he will get more 600rr's in, but since this one had minimal damage it would be worth it to buy with restored title, given the price.

keep those opinions coming.
Damn, you can buy a leftover brand new '07 at bartlesville cycle sports in oklahoma for $7999, and that's truly out the door pricing. Book a flight to Tulsa, head to b'ville, buy the bike and ride it back to the desert.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I bought my 07 a year ago, with 700 miles for $7000. You could probably find my same bike today with a year's worth of mileage for anywhere between 6000-6500. I'd rather pay another grand for this type of deal than a wrecked bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kiggy74, I understand where your coming from. I think I can get the price down a little as well, and since I am a new rider id rather pay less on a bike in case I did lay it down, I would be a little less upset if I messed up a $4500 bike than a $6500 bike.

Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you get the level3 inspection and you try to resell it in a couple of years is the paperwork still going to say Salvage?

If the answer is yes be prepared to sell for less than you would like.

Personally I would rock a salvage in a few different situations. If it was mechanically sound and a hell of a deal (your situation doesn't sound like a hell of a deal), if it was a stunt bike, or if I had the time and desire to do a rebuild myself. Just make sure you consider things like resale value, the stigma with salvage titles, how long you plan on owning it, and last but not least...... What do YOU really want!

Even if you are "really good friends" he is still in a position of taking your hard earned money and turning a profit off of you. Between it not being a "sweet deal" and the fact that business and friends usually don't mix well I would walk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts