Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do I need to sand down the heat shield or can I just clean it with rubbing alcohol and call it good? I finished painting the subframe couple days ago and needless to say, it actually came out pretty good (first time spray painting) So now I dont wanna see any silver on my bike. Its either Red or black. Thanks guys! Oh yea..how about the plastic pieces from the fender and the exhaust shield?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Do I need to sand down the heat shield or can I just clean it with rubbing alcohol and call it good? I finished painting the subframe couple days ago and needless to say, it actually came out pretty good (first time spray painting) So now I dont wanna see any silver on my bike. Its either Red or black. Thanks guys!
You have to sand it very well. Metal is one of the hardest surfaces for paint to stick.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just got back from home depot. got some sand paper for metal and high temp paint. What about the plastic parts? can i just paint over those?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
just got back from home depot. got some sand paper for metal and high temp paint. What about the plastic parts? can i just paint over those?
You can but realistically, I would sand them because of the elements. The sun can crack it if it's not sanded.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Put it this way. Your paint is only as good as the surface it is applied to. If you don't sand and prime the parts to be painted, your paint is much less likely to adhere properly to said surface. Always, always, ALWAYS sand and prime before you consider painting anything. :tard:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
One more thing. Why don't you just do away with the heat shield? That thin piece of crap doesn't do anything anyway (if you look at it from a thermal radiance point of view).
i would have to dissagree. i tried it without the shield. its fvcking hotter. since its made out of aluminum, the heat gets dispursed evenly throughout the shield, and the smallest amount of airflow cools it pretty fast.

so keep your heat shield or get a carbon fiber shield. like stated above, always sand and primer any surface. the smoother it is the better it looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts