Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already posted this in the new member forum but I assume I would get a better response here as more people probably look through these threads.

This is the bike I will by buying tomorrow. I am in Afghanistan and have never actually seen it. My dad has and says it is nice. It has race fairings because it has been dropped. My original question was is it street legal, but now after more research I think it is not and even if it is I do not think I want to keep headlights like that anyway just for simple safety reasons. I am going to put the scratched fairings back on temporarily and am just wondering if it is going to be a PITA. Do you have to do much modifying to change to race fairings or is it pretty straight forward? If anyone has a definitive answer as to be street legal that would be appreciated just so I can tell my dad he can indeed get it inspected and not waste time going just to fail inspection. Now time for pictures.

btw, 2007 CBR 600

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in NC, they are pretty strict on motorcycle stuff so I think no blinkers on the front will fail me come inspection time. The ad says it comes with factory headlights and fairings.

·
Registered
991 Posts
... so what happens when you hit a pothole and bottom out your forks? Does the front fender come in contact with the headlights? Personally I would not buy that bike. Looks like someone was just taking the cheap way out repairing it from a crash. Cheap plastics on it, took the heatshield and plastics off the pipe to make it look "aftermarket" but wasnt willing to pay for a fender eliminator? Looks like a big flat spot on the rear tire too. Overall the bike says to me the owner was cheap and in my experience, cheap owners have a hard time keeping up with maintenance.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
posted again? really?

dude, why not ge a real answer, put that thing on a trailer, and go get it inspected at your local dmv, im sure they will tell you 100% if that bike is legal for road use.

we can only guess unless some one happens to know the law.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Multi thread fail.

That is a hack job, and should be a track bike. Shop around for a better bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
look around for a new bike then you dont have to worrie about inspection. and it will not pass on post mill inspection. you need front turns, rear turns so i would look around

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
get it, sell the race fairings, buy the headlight and upper fairing, you should be good, if its salvage the DMV and CHP will inspect it before they let you register it and they will tell you no or yay, 55 bucks later,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In Afghanistan... can't put it on a trailer cuz it is 7,000 miles away. I am asking my dad to go out of the way to get it for me. The only reason I double posted is because I didn't fully understand the New thread when I posted in it and when I realized I figured it did not get much knowledgable traffic, just new people saying hi.

The flat spot on the tire might just be from that picture, my dad has went and looked at the bike and says that this picture is correct on how new the tire is. Also he said it runs great... It only has 6k miles on it, and for the price it is set at if all that is wrong is fairings it is still cheap adding in replacements. Since the old fairings come with it I told my dad to look at those to kinda see how hard it was actually dropped. I think I am going to base my decision off that. If they are demolished it is a no go, if they are just scratched up a bit then I will get it.

Does that sound reasonable or should I just avoid it all together?

Lastly, from what I read I thought Optimal race fairings were actually decent fairings for track use and not all that cheap. Am I mistaken? I looked them up and they are around $300 or so which yes is cheaper then OEM but I wouldn't think it was just a cheap fix. As for the hitting a pot hole and bottoming out the forks... that comment confused me.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
As for the hitting a pot hole and bottoming out the forks... that comment confused me.
The fake headlights are mounted in a place that is normally reserved for movement of the front wheel/fender. Any movement on the front will make the fender contact the lights. There is definitely not enough clearance there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does that sound reasonable or should I just avoid it all together?
It sounds like you've already made up your mind...no matter what people on here have to say. Your question has already been answered by several people. Save your money and your headache. You've had multiple people tell you to pass, take the advise you asked for.

Everyone has had to walk away from a deal. I myself didn't follow advise to walk away from my last Ninja and ended up with a headache more than a bike

Just wait, the right bike at the right price will come. They always do. :cruising:

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you ar deployed wat is the big rush to pick up. wait till you get home dudes will be dumping their bikes to get new ones......trust me 4 deployments i know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
id say dont rush man. thex has a good point about those lights too, at first it didnt hit me, but i did get a strange " those are in a weird spot" feeling.

if the bike was a super sweet deal and cant pass it up id say to have your dad scoop it.

but from what i gather you def have time to get a good deal.

if your dad has any feelings that the bike is damaged more than cosmetically id shy away from it.

stay safe over seas bud, best of luck with your search

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
id say dont rush man. thex has a good point about those lights too, at first it didnt hit me, but i did get a strange " those are in a weird spot" feeling.

if the bike was a super sweet deal and cant pass it up id say to have your dad scoop it.

but from what i gather you def have time to get a good deal.

if your dad has any feelings that the bike is damaged more than cosmetically id shy away from it.

stay safe over seas bud, best of luck with your search
:+1: There are deals everywhere dont rush into this.

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
I would hold off as well. The "head lights" worry me, and if the owner rigged them up that way then he went cheap. As far as the turn signals go, some states don't require them (I know SC doesn't), but DoD does require them for bikes. That means you could never get it registered on base. Pass on this one and keep looking.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You haven't said how much you're paying or whether it's a salvage, so it's tough to say if you should pass or not, but I'd be SERIOUSLY sketchy about this deal. Do a lot of homework.. For example, just because he's selling damaged OEM fairings with it, does that in any way mean they're the original ones? He may have had a really bad wreck, and picked up a set of damaged OEM's cheap, then decided to go aftermarket when the OEM's weren't nice enough to pass muster.

I'd ask him to pull the aftermarket's off so your dad can inspect the entire bike. If you're planning on using the OEM's, this will be a timesaver anyway. have him check the crank case VERY carefully for damage, and look for any sign of frame damage..

Dropped bikes can be a seriously bad investment, so inspect it carefully. If your dad doesn't know much about bikes, get someone else to go. I'll bet you could find someone on the forums who'd check it out for a few bucks, or even as a gesture to a fellow rider.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts