Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently running Q2's on the track bike. They are working great but I heard from someone that tire warmers can significantly increase the life as well as obviously allow you to hit the track hard your first lap. I've also heard from threads on here that if the tire is not a DOT race tire or a slick, a tire warmer will mess it up since it gets too hot for the tire. (If any of this info so far is wrong, please correct me)

What I was planing on doing was getting a set of digital tire warmers so I can warm the tires up to a lower temp. Before I pull the trigger on anything, I wanted to see what everyone has to say. Will too high of a temp really ruin a tire? and what kind of temp would be good for a Q2? or will a 170 degree tire warmer work great for any track rubber?

·
Registered
135 Posts
What group are you riding in? (Novice, Intermediate, or Advanced).

Novice, don't bother, tires won't get hot enough on track to matter.

Intermediate, your call

Expert, not a bad idea, but then q2's aren't ideal anyway.

I'm getting my info from one of my trackday org's on site suspension guys, Mike Fallice, as I asked the exact same question over on Team Promotion's website about 2 days ago:shakehand

I am running front pack novice group, and was told not to bother with warmers on the q2's, just one more thing to have to worry about.

YMMV, cheers :)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Hiya Tyler,

I hope everything is going OK. In your situation I would spend that money on a day at the Ed Bargy school instead of on tire warmers. Tou don't need them on the Q2s.

I would start shopping for race tires and warmers about the time you start to dip under 1:30 at Jennings and start considering moving to expert.

I'm planning to go on April 18th. Skip school and come on out!

·
Registered
182 Posts
You don't need or want warmers for street tires. I run Q2's as well, and they get plenty warm on the track. Give them one or two laps to get up to temp and off you go.

As Jim said, I wouldn't even be concerned about it until you are lapping 1:30ish. Though supposedly you can hit mid 20's on Q2's but you want to trust your tires. Once I get to 1:30 I am switching to DOT's and warmers.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the responses. The lowest lap I know about is 1:34 so almost there. I'll run through another set of tires and hopefully get there.

Sorry Jim, I actually have a dynamics test that Monday. Come summer, I think I'm taking a break so hopefully I can meet you out there then. Any chance of a weekend track day through April though?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok, thanks for the responses. The lowest lap I know about is 1:34 so almost there. I'll run through another set of tires and hopefully get there.

Sorry Jim, I actually have a dynamics test that Monday. Come summer, I think I'm taking a break so hopefully I can meet you out there then. Any chance of a weekend track day through April though?
Eww dynamics is gross. I just started my senior level courses and I am putting that class off to the bitter end (I'm BSEE so it isn't really anything but a PITA). Are you ME? My brother is in Gainseville getting his ME.

Dude, there's another thread on here...Jennings, April 16,17,18 (http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=227363). I have a test that week, but ima bust my A$$ and make it happen. I'm trying to use Jennings as an incentive to pwn that exam...

/derail

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm fine with dynamics. Its not as bad as everyone gives it credit for. IEM on the other hand is the worst class I've ever taken. Not sure if you have that or not. I'm doing ME. What school are you at? As far as jennings goes, I may be able to make it that saturday but sunday and monday won't happen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I misread your post, your test is Monday the 18th. Yeah that's tough.

I'm assuming IEM is basic electronics. Probably with any major the "introduction to whatever" classes suck but when you get into the upper level classes it is so much more interesting. I go to UCF.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
intermediate engineering math. its the math class that comes after numerical analysis. its a high end ME math class. i almost ended up going to ucf. i applied to uf as a joke. my gpa was well under their average admissions gpa. if i was denied here, i would have been at ucf.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I'm currently running Q2's on the track bike. They are working great but I heard from someone that tire warmers can significantly increase the life as well as obviously allow you to hit the track hard your first lap. I've also heard from threads on here that if the tire is not a DOT race tire or a slick, a tire warmer will mess it up since it gets too hot for the tire. (If any of this info so far is wrong, please correct me)

What I was planing on doing was getting a set of digital tire warmers so I can warm the tires up to a lower temp. Before I pull the trigger on anything, I wanted to see what everyone has to say. Will too high of a temp really ruin a tire? and what kind of temp would be good for a Q2? or will a 170 degree tire warmer work great for any track rubber?
This is the exact question I was about to post up.

I'm going to be entering in bracket racing soon (2 sessions for the day, 6 laps each session) and would like warmers for my Q2s as they don't allow slicks. This would allow me to go harder for the 1st 2 laps (33%) of the race.

Considering this situation, what temperature would you use (high/low) and any possible detrimental effects to the tyre?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did 165 and it did fine. Maybe a little lower. Would probably suggest some better tires for racing though. You can find heating and pressure recommendations on dunlops site.

·
Registered
291 Posts
For what it's worth...the N-techs have been a sensational DOT Race tire. Very forgiving. :thumbup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wouldn't bother with warmers for Q2's they don't take long at all to warm up and grip very well. I had gotten used to that and wrecked in turn 1 at VIR North this weekend when I switched to Dunlop GP-A tires. evidently race tires need more warm up. i took the turn slower than i was on my outlap with Q2's and tucked the front as soon as I turned in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts