Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i bought a rr and i ran about 1500 miles. it currently has 6500 on it and the previous owner did oil change with repsol syntetic at 5000miles.

question:
1. is it time for the oil change yet?
2. how much do dealership charges for just a oil change?
3. what do you recommand oil?

regards
kihun

i did search and only found about what oil to use and how to do oil change w/o taking out frame. my prime question was when to do oil change. thanks

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
synthetic wil last you 3k. atleast.

i dunno. . .what the dealer charges. . . just try to do it yourself. . .

i run motul full syn. If it was me i would stick with the repsol full synthetic. its a beit pricey tho as is the motul stuff.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You should change the oil before you put her away into storage.

From what I gather Amsoil and Motul and the two best synthetics avaliable. I lot of people also like to use mobil 1 and Shell Roterra (sp?)

And most people change their oil at the 3k mark

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
yea make sure u change it before you store it. and remember how dirty it loks when u take the oil out and at what mileage you do this.

reason being. . .my last motul change was at 3000 miles and it came out as clean as i put it in. so the next change i pushed it to 4k

edit: btw i have 15k miles. no problems. ever.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
1. No, not really...but I wouldn't trust the previous owner's word. Change it for piece of mind so you know it is on a good schedule of maintenance. I change early...every 2500-3000 mi. fully synthetic with OEM oil filter.

2. It depends on the dealer, but an oil change is typically $85-150. It just depends on where you go. It is easy enough that you should learn how to do it yourself.

3. I recommend Amsoil SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF)
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
i run maxima racing oils lubricant I havent had a problen yet with it, and the dealerships will charge more than its worth, do it your self. If you dont know how see if there is someone on the forum that lives by you and see if they will help you on your first service, or use the search on here and find a thread on oil changes....

G

·
There is an AWESOME write-up on 600rr.us on how to change your oil

I'm going to be doing some research into Amsoil MCF and their claim of a once per season change by performing a oil sample analysis every 3000 miles until winter. I would suggest someone who is running another brand synthetic to do the same and post results. I'll be posting my results every 3000 miles on this Board for yall.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Knightslugger said:
There is an AWESOME write-up on 600rr.us on how to change your oil

I'm going to be doing some research into Amsoil MCF and their claim of a once per season change by performing a oil sample analysis every 3000 miles until winter. I would suggest someone who is running another brand synthetic to do the same and post results. I'll be posting my results every 3000 miles on this Board for yall.

your gonna keep the same oil and just take samples every 3000 miles? How much oil is needed to run an analysis? I'm assuming you will be adding a little bit when you pull the samples?

G

·
yeah, i'm keeping the same oil in there after each sample, and toping off to keep it at the proper level. a sampling requires a very small amount of oil, so i wouldn't be adding in qt after qt after qt... id be about a 1/10... if that.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good.. whew.. I thought you had to change it every 1500 miles and I was worrying about it because it went over little 80 miles today.. I guess I'm going to wait another thousands miles and just do it with the local heads. thanks!

G

·
Even if you go over the normal 2500, or 3000 interval, it's not going to harm much of anything...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Change the oil! FULL repsol synthetic (10w-50) I've found to break down quick. Does a great job but doesn't last long. I'd put a synthetic that is less race oriented and change every 2500mi. Amsoil's the best I've ever used...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.