Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in a quickshifter for down-shifting. Sometimes at the end of the straight I can't make it to 3rd and that screws up my corner. The clutch feels heavy when going down three gears quickly and I can't rev up perfectly all the time if I want to delay breaking to pass a bike.

Does the HM quickshifter work for down-shifting?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Even if it does it will be insainly violent... you need an auto blipper and ive never seen one for the cbr

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Can you elaborate further? As I'm reading your post you are saying it's difficult to pull the clutch in, snick the lever down 3 times, quick blip and release the clutch; what does "the clutch feels heavy" mean, the lever is hard to pull or is there a mechanical thing going in?

If you want to skip the rev match (blip) get a slipper clutch, not a quick shifter.

Sounds like X is right, you need skill and practice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok, I am on the start/finish straight and there are a couple of bikes I want to pass. The straight is the safer place to pass, I can keep at distance and I know slower bikes break earlier than I do. So I delay my downshift+breaking to pull 6th gear some more, but of course I have to downshift faster than usual at some point. Breaking is not a major problem, but the fast downshift sometimes leaves me in 4th, because I don't have all the time to blip the clutch while maintaining strong break pressure.

I said the "clutch feels heavy", but what I really meant is that the gearbox feels clunky and there is lots of metal opposing resistance between shift. I have the feeling that the transmission can get stuck between two gears. In the end I'm left in 4th. Perhaps I'm not pulling the clutch completely or not sequencing all the operations correctly at that speed, fine, I'm wondering if there is a way to not be bothered by that. I'd rather spend my focus on breaks, entry speed, reference points, line and the other bikes.

Slipper clutch, I get it, it helps with the high revs. But what about a downshift assist?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Loading the transmission is a natural outcome of cassette style transmissions - you *must* unload the plates by releasing the clutch, usually after any two skipped gears. If I try three it starts to get 'crunchy'. There is no way around this; it's a mechanical limitation.

Rev matching is super cool. I do it.

Changing your gearing to be more track friendly can sometimes reduce your overall number of shifts, by making every gear shorter. You may find you can go from 6 to 4 instead of 3, for instance.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
meh.. I had to brake and downshift from 6th to 2nd at the end of the backstraight.

you don't have to release the clutch on each shift down.

Here's how I would do it.
Brake............ Leave the clutch alone.

Then as you come close to the corner pull clutch in, bang bang bang down 3 gears while keeping clutch in.
Blip
Release
Turn

Don't do clutch, bang, release, clutch , bang, release .. waste of time.

The bike should be able to change really quickly, if not. check your oil.

4 gears down at the end of the straight in the video below

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I hear the RPMs quickly reving three times at the end of the straight? Is that the slipper clutch? It's also visible from the superimposed rpm indicator, it moves back and forth at least a couple of times at the end of the straight.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,825 Posts
Loading the transmission is a natural outcome of cassette style transmissions - you *must* unload the plates by releasing the clutch, usually after any two skipped gears. If I try three it starts to get 'crunchy'. There is no way around this; it's a mechanical limitation
I'm curious what you mean by this...

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
Do I hear the RPMs quickly reving three times at the end of the straight? Is that the slipper clutch? It's also visible from the superimposed rpm indicator, it moves back and forth at least a couple of times at the end of the straight.
Nope, no slipper clutch there.

Just very aggressive blipping :)

I got used to blipping each time the gear lever is pushed down (shifting down) even though I'm not releasing the clutch.. Old habit but works really well once it has become second nature. It doesn't affect the braking at all.

Never had issue with locking the rear either.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
as someone who's always racing against 1000/1200 bikes on the track the only way i gain or pass them is under the brakes & corner entry, for that to happen i really have to brake later & harder then bang down 3 gears in rapid succession without blipping the throttle, thank the engineers for the slipper clutch, what an amazing piece of equipment, keeps me focused on braking rather than blipping the throttle with timed downshifts.

do yourself a favor & get a slipper clutch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I tried the 3 gears "blind" downshift, without releasing the clutch, and sure enough it got me a couple of times: once I ended up in 2nd gear and the rear started skidding (no slipper clutch), another time I was left in 4th.

Overall I didn't like it, of course it's not meant to be comfortable, but when I weigh-in the risk I don't understand why there isn't more availability of downshift assists. The new BMW1000RR and I believe R1 have it.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
So I tried the 3 gears "blind" downshift, without releasing the clutch, and sure enough it got me a couple of times: once I ended up in 2nd gear and the rear started skidding (no slipper clutch), another time I was left in 4th.

Overall I didn't like it, of course it's not meant to be comfortable, but when I weigh-in the risk I don't understand why there isn't more availability of downshift assists. The new BMW1000RR and I believe R1 have it.
Like last time can you elaborate a little more, what you mean by "blind" downshift? If you're in 6th, pull in the clutch, press the shift lever 3 times you should end up in 3rd. If you're not landing in third you have a mechanical issue or you're not doing it right and it'll take practice, like Rinonz mentioned try blipping quickly as you switch each gear but don't release the clutch lever each time.

I'm not seeing how anything external can make it any faster, easier, or more precise than your actions.

It's a technique that must be learned, it's not something that is going to work right away. Practice and seat time are your friend here.
+1, keep trying, it'll come.

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
By "blind" downshifting I mean hitting the shift lever a number of times without releasing the clutch and not really knowing whether the gear went in. Compare with releasing the clutch each time and insuring the gear engaged the transmission and not hitting a false neutral.

I'm sure I have to practice more, but if this was such a novice problem, how come all sportbike and the most recent liter models come equipped with a downshift assist? I have already many things to focus on at the end of the straight (breaks, line, other bikes, reference marks...), downshifting is the first thing I'd gladly leave to technology.

At any rate, my question was whether there is something available for cbr600, not how to work around the problem. I guess the answer is no at this point.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Well, yeah, it's called a slipper clutch.

What bike has 'downshift assist'? I know the Nissan 370z has auto rev matching... that's the only thing I can think of that is what you're talking about.

I find I can go two gears between easing the clutch out to get the clutch pack spaced out right, three if I rev match successfully.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts