Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am a totally new at 600rr. I don’t even have a 600 yet. But I will be getting one real soon and I need some help figuring this out.

Are there any major handling or performance differences in R6s between years 2000 and 2006? Please let me know if you have ridden R6s that’s manufactured in different years.

I do know that the 2006 came out with a fly-by-wire system, or simply an electronic throttle.

I would really appreciate any info you may have; especially IF YOU OWN an R6.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
While I don't own either, I have ridden both, and tracked an 06 R6.

You will be able to feel the more aggressive seating position... and the steeper rake will make the 06 feel much more unstable at slower speeds. If the person hasn't maintained their 2000 R6, the suspension will feel spongier due to old fork oil.

One is carbureted, the other is fuel injected. The FI can be a little bit on/off-ish compared to the carburetor, but the FI is very trick on the new one, and feels like a computer.

The newer one feels lighter, and flicks side to side faster. I cant remember if the 2000 had a steel frame or aluminum... but make no mistake, a fall will cost you twice as much on the newer one. The steel will be less likely to bend or break in a wreck.

Seeing as you dont have or have never ridden a 600, I recommend you get the 2000. It will cost you much less when you drop it or crash it. (Make no mistake you will do both). But if you like to piss money away and raise my insurance rates at the same time, go ahead and pick up a new one so you can look like all the cool biker boys. These are 2 very different bikes, but I guarantee you will not be able to feel the major differences until you have around 3000 - 5000 miles under your belt.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i had a 2000r6. bought it wrecked for 1700 and built it up to a stunna then i looped it.. hha then rebuilt it to be perty.

they are good bikes. shift like crap. look into getting a shift shaft support from a sight called i think high-concept.com i ragged that bike out and 2nd was perfect at 20k.. all because of that shaft it made it shift so much more solid and smoothly..

http://www.high-concept.com//index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1

that's the shaft support for 40 bucks.. believe me it's worth it. relatively easy to install and i cant tell you the night and day diff with it on. lots of the racers use them on the r6's

^also first gen r6's are 99-02.. they all had the 2nd gear issue the dogs wear out prematurely...

·
Registered
174 Posts
weren't they carb'd until going to fuel injection in '03? wasn't the R6 the first fuel injected sportbike? i know the R6 hit some sort of fuel injection milestone just can't remember which...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts