Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy I work with bought a new 07 R6 today. When he left the dealer he made it about 2 blocks and took it back saying it was bad sluggish. The mechanic ran it down the road, said it was fine and then they closed up shop since it was 5pm. He is used to a 92 FZR600 and has ridden my 08 600RR so he is familiar with 600s. Anyone ridden one? Surly they aren't that disappointingly slow.

D

·
0 Posts
Their power is much higher then the 600rr, so on the street it can feel sluggish if you're not in the upper RPM's.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
You don't hit the R6 powerband until almost 12k RPM, which I doubt you could really do riding around the block.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
I haven't ridden it but he says if this is normal he is going to demand his money back. I just can't believe any new 600 would be that bad.

He's an enormous idiot for not taking 30 minutes and reading the reviews online, all of which point out its powerband, I have no sympathy for people who don't research.

D

·
0 Posts
I haven't ridden it but he says if this is normal he is going to demand his money back. I just can't believe any new 600 would be that bad.
Haha, your friend is SOL. Tell him to go hit the track if he wants to feel it's power, or just ride around at 14k RPM getting 20mpg, lol.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've ridden the 07 r6 and nothing much happens at all until 9 grand minimum. You end up riding the thing a gear lower than other 600's and launching it at much higher rpm just to get away from a stop with any speed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
08 r6 is a very good bike way better then the 07 on handling and power, sluggish? after 12k rpm the power explodes and its like a beast. Still the cbr 600rr 07/08 is more drivable on street then the R6. I can say this because my brother has an 08 R6 and i drove it from time to time.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yup.....bad thing about the R6 is that it does not make much power until you wind it up. Not a problem on the track but on the street it can be frustrating.

Yamaha addressed this issue on the 2008 model with variable length intake trumpets.

Your friend should have made the deal pending a test ride. Strike a price agreement with the dealer, hand them a nice downpayment check, and take it for a short ride. If you like the bike, complete the deal upon your return from the test ride. Otherwise ask for your check back. I have done this on all of my bike purchases and most dealers will not have a problem with doing this if you show them you are serious.

Good luck to your friend, but I think he will have a tough time getting a full refund.

·
Registered
240 Posts
gotta agree with the majority, but I don't think he'll get his money back. Don't make him feel bad though, the R6 is a badass bike, he just has to ride it the way it was intended to ride, on the track above 12K RPM.

good luck to him.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
As someone already said... He should have done his research first before buying.

Any review or magazine could have told him the characteristics of the bike. They've all been pretty vocal about the powerband.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He did research it and was aware of the higher RPM power band. He says this is something else, like it isnt running on all 4 cyl. Maybe an injector stuck or something. The way he talks soccer moms in mini-vans pull away from him at a light.
The temptation to remind him I suggested a nice 600RR is strong though.

D

·
0 Posts
He did research it and was aware of the higher RPM power band. He says this is something else, like it isnt running on all 4 cyl. Maybe an injector stuck or something. The way he talks soccer moms in mini-vans pull away from him at a light.
The temptation to remind him I suggested a nice 600RR is strong though.
Does he know how to ride?

·
Registered
15 Posts
He's an enormous idiot for not taking 30 minutes and reading the reviews online, all of which point out its powerband, I have no sympathy for people who don't research.
I did before I bought mine but I also read forums and the main point from most I read was "these bikes are so close in performance bla bla ba, just pick the one you like the looks of" or "only a pro rider would notice the difference".

maybe he shouldnt have bought the prettiest bike on the showroom floor.
Lesson learned. A very expensive one but what can I do now? Just waiting to pay down the balance so I can sell it.

I've ridden the 07 r6 and nothing much happens at all until 9 grand minimum. You end up riding the thing a gear lower than other 600's and launching it at much higher rpm just to get away from a stop with any speed.
Sums it up pretty nicely. To the OP it is very noticeable on the street how this bike lacks power. Once I got comfortable on this thing (wasn't riding for a few months in between bikes and this is my second one) I started wondering WTF? Recently I just started lingering in the lower gears longer than I normally would on my first bike (03 gsxr 600 with -1 +2). It starts to sound like I'm racing everywhere but I'm just starting to get used to it.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
well, if you just get used to it, then thats all that matters I suppose, I suggest you keep it for a year, sell it, then get what you want, if you try and get rid of it now, you'll take a Huge loss, less so if you wait even 1 year.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My brother rides an 08 R6, he loves it. He installed a full exhaust on it, woke it up nicely. I think he's taking it in soon to have the PCIII installed and tuned, so it should be pretty beast afterwards. Tell your friend to test ride another R6 and see if it feels the same to him before he goes all crazy on the dealership.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Yea I can launch my 600RR in second gear better than my buddys 07 R6 in first!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts