·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
im looking into buying a new 600rr or an r6
not really made up my mind on which i like best
what do you guys think?
its a 600rr forum so im guessin your leanin towards them but what do you guys think?

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
The R6 has better power to weight ration.

The RR has better weight distribution and steering geometry so that it is more stable.

The differences are negligible, the similarities are astounding:

Both are wonderful, solid, reliable, eye-catching bikes.

Both will give you many, many, wonderful days of riding.

Both will, in an instant, ruin your day, your week, or even your life.

That said, choosing a bike is a matter of soul as much as it is a matter of research. Pick the one that calls out to you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
well said. All i have to add which isnt much, is sit on both bikes and see which-ever bike just feels better.

- Aaron

·
Registered
586 Posts
dam, ateocles put it purdy well! the double r is known for its stability, and the r6 for its flickability. i know a few that have transitioned between the two really liked the double r because the r6 was either leaned way the f over, or vertical, seemingly no middle ground. the ones who liked the r6 was because it was so instantaneous in the transition from leaning one way to another. my .000002? go with what feels good to you, and which one you think is just sexier, cuz chances are, you arent really gonna be able to exploit the differences between the two. very few of us ever will

·
Registered
586 Posts
i would imagine RRRockit would be a good person to talk to. completely forgot he recently made the transition from r6 to RR. where ya at ryan?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Test ride each one and see what you like the most...i too was torn between the two. The RR won because of a few reasons...

1. The riding position is more comfortable...i dont feel nearly as scruntched on the RR as i did on the R6. It seems like you have to reach a little farther for the grips on the R6 and the position your knees get put in by the weird shaped tank wasnt workin for me at all.

2. It has a gas gauge...i know, its a small thing, but the little things are what makes the RR great. I cant tell you how many times i would get WAY back into a canyon or in the middle of nowhere on my old bike only to have that stupid "get fuel now or die" light come on. Now, i have a general idea of how much i have and dont have the guestimate with just mileage.

3. Stability...the RR is EXTREMELY stable at pretty much any speed. The R6 felt a bit twitchy to me and just didnt feel as solid as the RR did at speed.

4. The undertail exhaust...another matter of taste i guess. I love the undertail exhaust and cant imagine having another bike without one. I think sportbikes without them look weird now...

5. Styling...whats sexier than a 600RR?? Not much, and the batmobile styling of the R6 turned me off....to many angles where the RR is very curved and refined looking.

Power differences between the two are negligable...you wont notice the tiny(maybe a 2-3 HP) bit extra that the R6 has. But i seriously suggest you go take a spin on both or even different models before you commit to anything.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Test ride each one and see what you like the most...i too was torn between the two. The RR won because of a few reasons...

1. The riding position is more comfortable...i dont feel nearly as scruntched on the RR as i did on the R6. It seems like you have to reach a little farther for the grips on the R6 and the position your knees get put in by the weird shaped tank wasnt workin for me at all.

2. It has a gas gauge...i know, its a small thing, but the little things are what makes the RR great. I cant tell you how many times i would get WAY back into a canyon or in the middle of nowhere on my old bike only to have that stupid "get fuel now or die" light come on. Now, i have a general idea of how much i have and dont have the guestimate with just mileage.

3. Stability...the RR is EXTREMELY stable at pretty much any speed. The R6 felt a bit twitchy to me and just didnt feel as solid as the RR did at speed.

4. The undertail exhaust...another matter of taste i guess. I love the undertail exhaust and cant imagine having another bike without one. I think sportbikes without them look weird now...

5. Styling...whats sexier than a 600RR?? Not much, and the batmobile styling of the R6 turned me off....to many angles where the RR is very curved and refined looking.

Power differences between the two are negligable...you wont notice the tiny(maybe a 2-3 HP) bit extra that the R6 has. But i seriously suggest you go take a spin on both or even different models before you commit to anything.
Not everyone offers test rides on bikes like this...hell, most dealerships don't give test rides on ANY bikes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I first starting looking for a new bike I wanted an 05 RR, but they were not available in my area, so I looked into the R6, and actually had a deposit on an 05 Raven R6. That deal didnt work out as planned, and Im so glad. I held out and found an 05 RR about 90 miles from where I live, and got a great deal. Im sure you would be happy with either one, but I say RR.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My only complaint on past R6's....

They are on or off. Teh power band is either sluggish (down low, moreso than most) or raging (up top, were the power is incredible). It almost seems similar to riding a two stroke, On or Off!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Meddiepie954rr said:
Not everyone offers test rides on bikes like this...hell, most dealerships don't give test rides on ANY bikes.
You mean to tell me youve boughta bike without riding it?? Ive NEVER seen one that wouldnt as long as you have your M class licence...if they wont let you ride it, you need to find another dealership.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Meddiepie954rr said:
You mean to tell me youve boughta bike without riding it?? Ive NEVER seen one that wouldnt as long as you have your M class licence...if they wont let you ride it, you need to find another dealership.
MN dealerships...I know of ONE that gives out test rides on select bikes. Yes I've bought every bike I've owned without riding it. And so far, I can't complain.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I take that back...there is one around here that wont let you test ride them...the ducati shop. Went down there before i bought my RR and asked for a test ride...they looked at me like i was on drugs. Everyone else gladly threw the keys at me and said "tear it up!"...figurativly speaking of cource!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Meddiepie954rr said:
Not one Japaneese dealer in the Hampton Roads area will allow a test ride. THe Triumph Dealer has a few demos and the Harley Dealers have demos as well.

H

·
0 Posts
most of the dealerships around my area do not allow test rides.. but there is one that has a demo day (hoping to demo a 1000rr this year, if they put that bike out).. and they usaully have a bike or two that they will demo during the rest of the season...

basically it is too much of a risk... if you ride with their insurance then every crash would hurt their pocket...

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Thats insane...i dont care if it was new or not...im not going to buy a bike without at least taking it for a quick putt down the street.
i have purchased plenty of new bikes without ever testing riding them.
I bought these bike without testing....
1993 Suzuki GSX1100G
1996 Ducati 900 SSSP
2000 Aprilia Mille
2002 Aprilia Mille R
2003 Honda CBR600RR
2004 Honda CRF250R

·
Registered
541 Posts
I dunno if it's lame but I got mine becuase it's a honda and I've had the worlds greatest luck with honda built equipment and cuz it seemed that a lot of people were riding them and having a great time. The friend of mine that did buy the '05 R6 Raven keeps saying "shoulda got a honda" just cuz we give em **** along with everyone else *jokingly*. Opinion, Opinion, Opinion....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought the RR cuz I like the color. J/K I bought it's for the undertail exhaust. :bounce: No but for real, I got the RR because it a Honda. I have always been a Honda guy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts