Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've been doing research on alternative fairings for use when tracking and I could use some advice. I track my 07 about 6 times a year and street the rest. I haven't crashed yet but the fear is always there and so I'd rather use cheap fairings on the track if possible.

I was looking into getting Optimal race fairings as they are inexpensive, but then I noticed aftermarket fairings from auctmart/motofans aren't that much more expensive and can be used on both street and track, and would be cheap to replace if crashed. It would be less of a hassle since I wouldn't have to swap plastics out every trackday, just not sure if they're great for track purposes.

So I could use some guidance as to which alternative would best suit my situation. Thoughts? What are the pros and cons of each type? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
One of the things you should keep in consideration for trackday fairings.... They MUST hold up for MULTIPLE crashes... The chinese fairings won't hold up for more than one get off...

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Optimal Racing make great fairings for about $330. I have a set - crash tested - they held up well - no repairs needed to still use them.

PM Disco for a set

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys! It sounds like its a unanimous vote. Race fairings it is. I'll just suck it up and swap out plastics whenever I attend a trackday. I never realized how bad a reputation the aftermarket fairings had. My research indicated many people liked theirs. Maybe that was due to the fairings being used for street duty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Optimal Racing make great fairings for about $330. I have a set - crash tested - they held up well - no repairs needed to still use them.

PM Disco for a set
How was the fit on them? I've been running Pit-eck race bodywork at about the same cost, but they rarely match the holes theyre supposed to.

How about the quality of the fiberglass...is it sheet (cloth-looking) or blown in (fibers have no order)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good choise on the race farings, the headlight is also expensive, and it is useually fragile at the mounting points.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
How was the fit on them? I've been running Pit-eck race bodywork at about the same cost, but they rarely match the holes theyre supposed to.

How about the quality of the fiberglass...is it sheet (cloth-looking) or blown in (fibers have no order)?
The fit on my Optimals was spot on, every place a bolt was supposed to go matched up great too.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
another vote here for track fairings!

go for race glass for the track. reality is...you will eventually crash.

theres many companies to choose from. all depends how deep your pockets are.
my suggestion is try to find a cheap set of decent track fairings or decent "used" track fairings on places like ebay, forums and craigslist. they are out there for cheap. just have to search and seek.
or find damaged ones that people are trying to get rid of for cheap. then repair them yourself or duct tape for quick fixes. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
The fit on my Optimals was spot on, every place a bolt was supposed to go matched up great too.

Thanks Slim. If you look on the inside of them, can you tell if they're woven threads or blown in threads?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Thanks Slim. If you look on the inside of them, can you tell if they're woven threads or blown in threads?
If you can tell me the difference between the 2?, my guess would be woven but im not 100% on that. I will take a pic of the inside of them when I get home.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you can tell me the difference between the 2?, my guess would be woven but im not 100% on that. I will take a pic of the inside of them when I get home.
It's going to have a cloth-like appearance if it's "woven" or it's going to have a jumbled look to it, like you cut up all the fibers, pulled them apart, then just tossed them down in the mould.

Thanks in advance for checking!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Track fairings ftw. Get the cheap ones, who cares if they won't "hold up" your OEM fairings will thank you. Just try not to race on TDs and you'll be fine. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts