Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search for some threads that already discuss this but didnt really see what i was looking for. ive been gradually using 116 race fuel for a few weeks now. started off at just one gallon mixed with 93. then did half and half, then a lil more than half/half, then back down to one gallon and rest 93. i know it makes your bike run real hot, and usually at lights ill turn the bike off. my question is, is it ok to be doing what ive been doing? i have a micron slip on and no pcIII. but i do notice a diff. ihavent had any problems and plan to keep on doing this. but what are yalls thoughts? thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use VP Ultimate 4 a.k.a(U4) 10 - 16% increase in power just from different fuel. VP Red would be another good choice for a stock 600 motor. Alot cheaper than U4. C-16 or 116 is alittle too much for the bike not really made for that. You may actually be losing power. Remember you dont always want that super high octane fuel. My U4 is only 92 octane and its one of the best. Two other good choice would be MR1 and MRX01, these are all VP brand fuels, thats all i use, if i were you though i would stay away from the 116. Just my suggestion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
By running higher octane you are actually decreasing power in a stock 600. Higher octanes burns slower. If you have the bike Dynoed you will see a decrease in HP for the higher octane fuel. So save your money and your power. Use pump gas.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
+100, running race fuel on a near stock bike is too much.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
OveRRev, who is that in your sig kicking the crap out of his bike?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
89 octane from Shell, BP, Exxon, etc... Read the manual. Unless you have a bike with a custom map, and significant engine mods, you are doing more harm than good by running race fuel all the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not all race fuel is bad for a stock bike, you just have to get the right fuel. If you put the right fuel in it, you will see an increase over pump gas. Also, not all race fuel is high octane. MR9 is only 87 octane and there are several others that are 92 octane and below. If you can run on MR9 without any spark knock you will be amazed at the change in the bike from pump gas. I dont run race fuel in my 600 only because it hasnt been to the track and it really is just my street and curve bike, but my ZX-9R that has the built motor always get race fuel because it runs at the strip 2 to 3 times a week.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
snikwad said:
OveRRev, who is that in your sig kicking the crap out of his bike?
you didn't notice? it's Hopper at Qatar after the Suzuki got tired & decided to stop for a rest, obviously Hopper isn't too happy about it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
KawiHonda said:
Not all race fuel is bad for a stock bike, you just have to get the right fuel. If you put the right fuel in it, you will see an increase over pump gas. Also, not all race fuel is high octane. MR9 is only 87 octane and there are several others that are 92 octane and below. If you can run on MR9 without any spark knock you will be amazed at the change in the bike from pump gas. I dont run race fuel in my 600 only because it hasnt been to the track and it really is just my street and curve bike, but my ZX-9R that has the built motor always get race fuel because it runs at the strip 2 to 3 times a week.
I am commenting on the fact that he is using 116 octane. Yes, you have a valid point about different types of fuel.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
OveRReV said:
you didn't notice? it's Hopper at Qatar after the Suzuki got tired & decided to stop for a rest, obviously Hopper isn't too happy about it.
ok, i thought it was him.
but my memory was playing tricks on me, since im still used to seeing Rizzla Suzuki's on superbikes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Higher octane does not give more power.... This is a common misconseption.
Higer octane fuels allow for a slower burn, allowing a high compression, turboed or supercharged engine (engines with a higher IMEP) to run without audible or inaudible knock. Basically if you think by dumping high octane fuel in your bike that you will gain power you are WRONG. All this will do is allow you to run your bike harder and hotter without the worry of engine knock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To get more power from fuel you need a more oxygenated fuel (a fuel that has more O2 molecules that gasoline).

Just use nitro. You can use up to 3% mix with no fuel equipment mods......

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was going to use Turbo Blue 110 at the strip next weekend in my bike.. but I guess thats a bad idea?? I ran 50/50 110/92 a couple weeks ago and it ran just fine and cleaned out a sputter that I had...

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only problem with running leaded race fuels is:
Death to a catalitic converter, the lead clogs it up and will restrict exhaust flow (Cal. bike only)
As for normal bike it will creat bigger deposits than normal.
My advise is if you have a stock bike AKA your engine has not been opened up and worked on use 93, you wont need any more.

Although i do like the smell of leaded 110

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nitomethanol is one hell of a fuel to add to your gas in your bike. Dont use too much, as this stuff does not have the same expansion properties as regular gasoline.

It actually runs colder and can harm the engine over time. If you do decide to use Nitrometh, than use maybe half a pint, IF THAT

You are correct on fuel having more oxygen does help to boost performance. However here at sealevel we cannot get it :(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts