Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone Im sure this topic has been discussed many times but i couldnt find any answers when i searched. My bike currently has not frame sliders or protection of any kind and one of my buddies put a set of 905's on his F4i that i really like because you can put your feet on them when you ride. When i looked for pics of an RR with them they were completely different and at an angle such that you cant use them as foot rests.

So i would like to know if anyone has them and if so can you post some pics to help me make a decision.

Also does anyone know if the frame on the 2004 F4i and the 2004 RR are the same which would allow me to buy the F4i rails and put them on my RR.

Sorry if this isnt in the right section.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the rails have sliders built in so if the bike goes down it lands on the slider first. same effect except its has a steel spacer behind it that i can put my feet on to have another riding position.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ok firstly the company is really really slow at shipping out, so be warned many many ppl complain about this.
Next the Railz for a CBR are set up diff then you would for normal crash bungs, its a bit like no drill crash bungs where they are not in line with the engine bolts ie off centre from the bolt. So with mine i had to cutt off their mount point, re weld some tubing and re paint to make it all work out for me. I did this so i could then swap around either crash bungs or the race railz and their would not be 2 diff holes cutt into the fairings and better for resale value. Always think RE Sale when doing things.

they do make good for legs up on the highway but still you feel the metal mushroom at your ankles so dont take it as a comfort factor.

BTW lean angle can compromised when going over too much due to how much they poke out

Some pics

I got rid of the thick padding and just use some foam tape now to save my knees

OEM Mount, What it would look like their way

My Modified mount/tubing

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
regardless if there are sliders, once you go through the sliders there is a metal bar there and that will transfer energy. You can put a metal bar around a helmet and attach sliders and everyone will still tell you that attaching a metal bar to your helmet is not a good idea.

Also if you snag that metal bar on something (i've seen someone snag it on a curb) it can total your frame very easily. The goal is to protect the frame/engine and attaching metal is never a good idea unless you're talking slow speed tip overs.

the rails have sliders built in so if the bike goes down it lands on the slider first. same effect except its has a steel spacer behind it that i can put my feet on to have another riding position.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kid - That's pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I was afraid of having to modify them like that to get them the way I want. Awesome job by the way. They way they are supposed to be mounted looks rediculous. I am not to worried about drilling holes cause it doesn't have any now and it will be a long time before I sell this bike. And I don't take it to the track so I'm not worried about that either maybe someday but I just don't have time. That is exactly how my buddies f4i look and it didn't need any mod to the rails. You wouldn't happen to know if the f4i frames would fit? I will try and get a good pic of the f4i tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
regardless if there are sliders, once you go through the sliders there is a metal bar there and that will transfer energy. You can put a metal bar around a helmet and attach sliders and everyone will still tell you that attaching a metal bar to your helmet is not a good idea.

Also if you snag that metal bar on something (i've seen someone snag it on a curb) it can total your frame very easily. The goal is to protect the frame/engine and attaching metal is never a good idea unless you're talking slow speed tip overs.
If the race rails are such a bad thing because they are metal why are there metal sliders out there? And once the built in sliders are gone it will be sliding on the metal and still not the plastic. I imagine it is possible to hit the rails on a curb but not very likely. If you lay it down while turning your tires are gunna hit first. And if somehow you manage to be sliding the bike at a curb and the sliders don't melt off befor you get there I still don't think the bike is gunna be far enough off the ground to hit the sliders. It will hit the bars and tank and so on first. If you can elaborate it would be apppreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Metal sliders are not recommended either. Go on the WERA forum and ask the club racers and they will say the same. There are metal sliders out there because people care more for looks then protection. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you're after, but they don't protect as well.

If the race rails are such a bad thing because they are metal why are there metal sliders out there? And once the built in sliders are gone it will be sliding on the metal and still not the plastic. I imagine it is possible to hit the rails on a curb but not very likely. If you lay it down while turning your tires are gunna hit first. And if somehow you manage to be sliding the bike at a curb and the sliders don't melt off befor you get there I still don't think the bike is gunna be far enough off the ground to hit the sliders. It will hit the bars and tank and so on first. If you can elaborate it would be apppreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Metal sliders are not recommended either. Go on the WERA forum and ask the club racers and they will say the same. There are metal sliders out there because people care more for looks then protection. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you're after, but they don't protect as well.

Sliders protect engine cover? NO CASE Cover Damage Poss, YES
They protect clutch Cover? No So CAse cover damage possible YES
They RAILZ/Slider protect your fairings from less damage? YES Both pending type of accident, race cover and save more, sliders bolts bend from the force, railz its the rail hitting the ground metal harder to bed then the plastic.
Is the guy wanting it for the Track? No
Railz do they protect all of the above more then sliders? YES
and the one from the Vendor HARD RACING with the delrin plastic slider is both slider and rail in one i reckon thats better then the ones i have..EXCEPT if you wish to drag knee on corners in canyons as i see them coming close to the ground more then mine as a observation point. as my pic above shows a bit of room but i wasnt draggin knee that day given jeans on. SO as a FYI remember what you have poking out when getting your bike down low around corners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts