Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever been to one of the many racing schools that are around? I am thinking of going but wondering what types of experiences people have had. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the Ed Bargy school and thought it looked pretty good, also took a look at California Superbike School.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are you doing track days?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone ever been to one of the many racing schools that are around? I am thinking of going but wondering what types of experiences people have had. Let me know what you think.
I have been to California Superbike School (CSS) owned and managed by Keith Code. I attended level one, and I crashed my bike on the third session, so a complete review will be inaccurate.

I attended the classes, and I was taught by Keith Code himself, and his son Delyn. If you read the Twist of the Throttle, and any other bike books, then the concepts taught in the classroom will not be new to you.

5 classrooms between 20 to 30 min. each. After each class, you will go on the track to practice. After the practice, a test rider will give you a review of your performace and what you need to do to improve.

I like the overall strucure of the school. The thing I dislike the most, and it is stopping me from registering again, is the practice time is too short. Each track session is about 15 min. Too short to practice, and to get right what you learn in class. I wish it was like an hour after each class session.

It will be good if you attend a track day shortly after the track school, so you can practice what you learned while it is still fresh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. No I don't do track days because I really don't know anything about them or what is needed or how to get started, so I thought a riding school would be a good way to get familiar with all this and then I could get going. It also prevents me from having to buy all the stuff and then decide I don't like track riding. That is really what I am after.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. Have you found one yet? I would think you could find one close to home. A big part of the day is meeting people from all over that like to talk bikes and understand the passion for bikes. I haven't done a school but the people are probably the same.

You should give track days a try. They are a lot of fun. You live in a good location too. A lot of tracks around. I did my first track day with no experience but got lucky and had a great first time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Try here:
This track is in Illinois: http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/

Check this out too:
http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/
They have riding schools/trackdays scheduled at the above track in September.

GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK WITH SPORTBIKE TRACK TIME

A Sportbike Track Time Event will be an unforgettable experience.... we guarantee it !! The STT event format is designed to give each and every rider maximum on-track time. We offer weekend and weekday events. A typical 3-group standard day will find you enjoying 140 - 160 miles of track time. Riders at a Limited Endurance Day - LED (2-groups & 30-minute sessions) regularly log 200 – 260 miles of track time. Riders at standard events are split into three groups - Novice, Intermediate and Advanced whereas LED's use a two-group system. Participation is strictly limited to ensure a quality experience. 96% of our events sold out in 2005.

Events are open to riders of all skill levels. Personalized instruction is provided and encouraged. All Novice group participants receive "Class-Time" and on-track instruction with qualified instructors at no additional costs. Personal instruction is available for the intermediate and advanced riders by the STT staff. At day's end you will have a new found sense of confidence in yourself and your machine.

Your Track Day Includes:
· Maximum On-Track Time
· AM snacks -fresh fruit, sweet buns, donuts
· On Track & Classroom Instruction
· Picnic Style Lunch (except where noted)
· Water and sports-drinks throughout the day
· Photographer at most events
· On-site EMS and professional corner staff
· At track tire sales & service

1 - 10 of 10 Posts