Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local police dept has a trailerable radar thing that shows you your speed vs the posted speed limit this is nothing new but it seams to have trouble picking up my bike at a distance. when i drive by it with my truck i can see my speed as soon as i round the corner and can see the sign. when I'm on the bike i have to fully compleat the turn and am well on my way down the straight away before my speed is posted
My question is, do the radar units in cop cars respond the same way? in other words do they have a hard time picking up bikes?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Radar only picks u up at certain distance. Each unit or type may vary in each different cop car. So I have no clue.

I have a hole new radar system in the making. All I can say about my new system at this point is its never been done before. Ill give more details latet

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
weird... so far here in jersey and in the philly area, radars and lasers have no problems picking us up...

but i know sometimes, especially with traffic, the bikes are somewhat harder to pick up through radar due to all the other larger moving objects... but it doesnt happen often. and if that happens they'll just point a laser at you

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
The radar will detect the speed of the biggest thing in its azimuth. Bikes are usually the smallest thing, and so if there's any other traffic with you, it's likely to show the speed of that instead of you.

By my house there's a permanent "Your Speed Is:" sign that often shows the speed of the cars going in the OPPOSITE direction even though I'm right on top of it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Eh?

Find a cool cop, wrap a buddy in aluminum foil, put said friend on a RAZOR scooter... your hopes will be quickly deflated.
Actually I would be happy because if I was able to talk by buddy into letting us wrap him in foil and then ride a RAZOR scooter I would take a pic and post it all over the Internet!

·
Registered
416 Posts
My local police dept has a trailerable radar thing that shows you your speed vs the posted speed limit this is nothing new but it seams to have trouble picking up my bike at a distance. when i drive by it with my truck i can see my speed as soon as i round the corner and can see the sign. when I'm on the bike i have to fully compleat the turn and am well on my way down the straight away before my speed is posted
My question is, do the radar units in cop cars respond the same way? in other words do they have a hard time picking up bikes?

Spell check does wonders my friend! But those signs with the radar are a joke. They are usually not calibrated right. Cops use a better quality radar b/c they need it to hold up in court. Also, they are required to have it inspected and calibrated every so often.

Hand held radar/lasers are very accurate. I have personally used one. Ever see a Red Dot scope for a gun? Its kinda like that. You look thru the sight and put the dot one what you want the speed of, and pull the trigger. But the dash mounted ones usually pick up the biggest thing going the fastes like stated above.

Moral of the story, the ones built into the signs are sh!t. They are there to show you your speed and to pretty much tell you to slow down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts