Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building back up a wreaked bike I have to replace the radiator the bike is a early 03 model 600RR will the 03 1000RR radiator work I'm having trouble locating a used 600RR, but see the 1000RR for sale on ebay. New to this forum and to the CBR sorry if this is a dumb newbie sort of question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having to replace every part of the body work as it goes. A friend of mine let one of our other friends use the bike last summer he took it under a stopping mini van. I am also doing the 05 later model inverted shock front clip conversion so from what I've seen this also requires a little fairing work too. not afraid of fab work my dad owns a machine/weld shop, was mainly wondering if the front tire to radiator would have enough clearance. This sounds like it would be a good cooling upgrade for the bike. The motor on the bike was torn down and worked over majorly I have seen this bike run down 1000cc bikes before it was wrecked without a single problem. Thanks for the info I think I'll go ahead with this route and will post in the how to section I saw once I get it done if it works out well if not can always sell the 1000RR radiator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn okay guess the better question then should be sticking with the 600 model radiator I've stuck with looking for the 03-04 model mainly. should I expand my search to include just any 03-06 model cbr 600 or just the RR model?

·
Registered
993 Posts
damn okay guess the better question then should be sticking with the 600 model radiator I've stuck with looking for the 03-04 model mainly. should I expand my search to include just any 03-06 model cbr 600 or just the RR model?
I'm almost certain that any 600rr rad from 03-06 will work...but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would have to be easier then fitting the 1000cc radiator for sure. is nice looking though especially after seeing your bike with full fairings in place didn't see those when I first looked at your post just saw the two bikes side by side. I still may do this since I got a good month before riding season to get the bike together. if I haven't found a good used 600RR by next weekend I'll most likely just give this route a go.

·
Registered
735 Posts
yeah, just be patient. I just double checked on kneedraggers.com OEM parts fiche, the 03 and 06 radiators are two different part numbers.

but it would be easier to try and fit an 05 or 06 radiator to your 03 than it would be to fit a 1000rr radiator.

the 1krr radiator is so much larger, it would be a challenge to get it to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not too concerned with the challenge of fitting it so much, My dad owns a fabrication shop he does that sort of stuff all the time. At most he'd have me set up in a regular work day that would just be radiator on the bike and the plumbing taken care of.
Yeah that was what I remembered running into back in late August when I first got the bike seemed like even during the 03-04 production year itself they made changes because I ran into having to look to find out what Vin code mine was.
The bike is been heavily modded though too including having had the engine torn out the heads ported and polished, than some other lower end work don't believe it to have been over bored. I do know I've seen the bike run down 1000cc bikes even a few lightly modded ones. So I'm wondering if better or more cooloing capacity wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm not too concerned with the challenge of fitting it so much, My dad owns a fabrication shop he does that sort of stuff all the time. At most he'd have me set up in a regular work day that would just be radiator on the bike and the plumbing taken care of.
Yeah that was what I remembered running into back in late August when I first got the bike seemed like even during the 03-04 production year itself they made changes because I ran into having to look to find out what Vin code mine was.
The bike is been heavily modded though too including having had the engine torn out the heads ported and polished, than some other lower end work don't believe it to have been over bored. I do know I've seen the bike run down 1000cc bikes even a few lightly modded ones. So I'm wondering if better or more cooloing capacity wouldn't be a bad idea.

it never hurts to have a larger radiator, other than added weight.

but unless you have major work done to your motor, i think the stock radiator would be sufficient.

but if you have the time, patience, and resources to make the 1kRR radiator work, do it.

like i said, it never hurts to have a more efficient cooling system... it'll help with the longevity of your motor, and loss of power do to heat will be less also.

so go for it man, doesn't hurt to try. if your bike's in down time because of winter, than even more reason to try.

Update us if you dive into this project.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,855 Posts
i was thinking of doing this 1000RR radiator mod too for the hp & longevity of the engine, a cooler engine makes a tad bit more hp & i can run thinner engine oil to free up a hp or 2 plus the engine will live longer bcoz it will experience less heat stress.

how does these radiators cost on ebay?

·
Registered
182 Posts
yaehman.....I hear that every ten degrees cooler an engine runs that it gives you ten thousand miles of performance riding before rebuilds. (street riding)

I just upgraded my radiator......

I'm swapping a radiator with an HRC kit aux radiator for one off the Erion race bikes.

the radiator and HRC kit keep the bike runnin about 180 degrees while drive prety hard.
The HRC kit fit a stock 03 - 06 cbr 600rr and with stock headers with two spacers.
I'm sellin it for two hundred.....everything you need to install.
including: stock radiator/ HRC kit Radiator all hoses and fittings.
one hose is cut from using the trail tech venom speedo / tach / temp sensor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts